Jul 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
case and point, 

But that's what you said you do in your post... 

___

As for iTunes format, it's AAC 256kb/s.  Actually pretty good quality, but still not lossless. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

But that's what you said you do in your post... 

___

As for iTunes format, it's AAC 256kb/s.  Actually pretty good quality, but still not lossless. 

yes you are right. i do 2 things actually.

1. is what i do primarily which is rip the cd to lossless format. 1411kbps highest quality WMP allows for ripping.

2. is what i said i do. i however am mistaken as pointed out however it was more like false sense of information on the part of the audio converter. if i take a mp3 and it says 320kbps and then i go into my converter take that file and convert it from 320kbps to wave format with unspecified bit rate. after i convert it to the wave file, it claims 1536kbps.

3. i kinda thought the same thing, that if its not off a cd could it inject better sound quality from transfering it to a wave file. obviously you guys say no.
---------------------------------

so stick with ripping CD'S you cant go wrong with lossless

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
2. is what i said i do. i however am mistaken as pointed out however it was more like false sense of information on the part of the audio converter. if i take a mp3 and it says 320kbps and then i go into my converter take that file and convert it from 320kbps to wave format with unspecified bit rate. after i convert it to the wave file, it claims 1536kbps.

3. i kinda thought the same thing, that if its not off a cd could it inject better sound quality from transfering it to a wave file. obviously you guys say no.

Well, it's pretty much common sense and very simple. Imagine you have a text document that is 100 pages long and there is writing on all pages. You can delete half of the pages and you'll have only 50 left. Now, you can add 50 blank pages to those 50 and the document info will say it's 100 pages (you can add even more pages to make it even bigger) like the initial document but the writing on the deleted pages will still be missing.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
When I right click on the file, or I left click on the file and then right click on the song icon, both ways will allow me a "quick look option," but I can't find "details."  I am on a Mac.  My files are all wave files and end xxxxxxx.wav.  When I right click, there is still an option besides "quick look" that asks me if I want to convert to wav, but I am assuming it always offers this as an option because, once again, I have mostly wav files ripped from cd's.

are you ''right'' or ''left'' clicking in itunes or from your desktop/folder?

can you add the file to itunes then in itunes tab ''songs'' right click on the file and go to get info and there it will show you stuff like the file type,buit rate, sample rate ect

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

OH MY G*D......I FOUND IN VIEW I COULD ADD BIT RATE AND SAMPLE RATE......So my ripped tracks are at 1411 kbps and iTunes downloads are 256 kbps and both are at 44.1 kHz

Some of this below is regurgitated crap before I found this above.

desktop.  
--I click on my usb drive.  All the artists come up in separate folders.  If I right click here I can quick look.
 --If I left click, album folders come up and I can right click and quick look.
--If I left click again, the folder's change into a black boxes for each separate song folder with a transparent music note symbol that I can right click on again and quick look.

In iTunes, If I right click on a single Artist, Album, song line I get a whole bunch of the same options including quick look, but never anything with details.

I did not have internet when I first ripped my cd collection.  So, I had to go to get info and put the info in myself for whatever CD.  Under iTunes preferences I have my library saved to a Mushkin usb 64GB Ventura Pro flash drive.  So, if I have my library pulled up in iTunes and do not have my stick in, songs will not play and it tells me the song can't be found.  So, my playlist is never really saved with the usb stick, but can be.

OK. so the reason why you arent able to play the songs are becuase when you remove the stick itunes tries to locate the song before it plays the song.

under preferences, then tab Advanced, then look at ''itunes media folder location'' for instance my location is C:\user\DV7-4285DX\Desktop this location tells itunes where all the songs that are listed in itunes are located on your laptop or desktop. you can change the location of where itunes is to look if you look to the right it says ''change'' you can change where itunes looks for the music listed in itunes.

now becuase you remove the memory stick, and then you try to play a song, when you try to play a certain song itunes then looks for the song in the itunes media folder location, and becuase the memory stick is gone. itunes then doesnt locate the songs and wont play them.

if you have lossless wave files in 1411kbps, itunes will not locate and import the files automatically. you have to load all the music files manually and then add in the artist and album names.

it sounds like you ripped the files in lossless format then when you loaded them into itunes, itunes then converted them to alac? thus the 1411kbps to 256kbps

although the 256kbps isnt bad, its definitly not lossless and you will not be getting the sound quality of a lossless file.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

My specs should be;
wav files generated from ripping off CD's with the wav encoder set for
16 bit, 44.1khz, stereo, cd error correction on
1411 kbps

I don't get how the cd is 16 bit 44.1 khz and I end up with 1411 kbps as a spec out of left field, but these are the specs

I don't think there is anything wrong with my source files at this point and I think that I ripped my CD collection correctly.  But I posted the specs in case something is fishy to be fair.

I also don't think anything is wrong with my hearing, maybe MILD MILD MILD tinnitus if I overdo volume.  It may be there all the time, but I only notice something like tinnitus symptoms if I overdo volume and isn't present all the time.

Each of the iems I have now, give me rustling static diet sound in a different way, and not all songs have it.  Something like Metallica doesn't seem to have it so much.  A gritty death metal will have more if not all the time you can detect it.

1411 KBPS is the data rate/ bandwidth in kilobits
2 channels (stereo audio L & R) x 16 bits x 44.1 khz (in kilohertz) = 1,411.2 kbps (Kilobits Per Sec)

there are 2 different rates going on.

Bit Depth =16 Bit
and Bit Rate 1411.2kbps

from your specs, if you are seeing 44.1khz and 1411kbps yours specs are within pure lossless cd file quality.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #27 of 32
Tearing/rustling noise??-If we hadn't been talking of digital but analogue it can mean a "high resistance" connection-=as in bad soldering/tube holder/pins oxidized /connectors coated and so on.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think about really bad source files. When I mentioned poorly made recordings, I was thinking about somebody doing it wrong in the studio, which is why I rated it unlikely. But poorly done lossy compression is rampant and probably the most likely culprit. I know there's plenty of cheap amps out there, but I would think most of them are giving you ~96 dB of headspace. So although they might fail in other ways, I think most amps are not producing a lot of audible hiss unless you are listening too loudly.

listening to death metal, its not at all unlikely that the original recording is itself noisy. and your right, POORLY DONE lossy compression can cause all sorts of nasty effects, but well done lossy compression can be just as transparent as lossless audio in my opinion. others may well disagree, but thats my own experience, which i base on abx tests.

Quote:
Um... this sounds like tinnitus, actually.

hardly... tinnitus manifests itself as a continuous, high pitched "buzz". in effect, its noise coming from inside the ear, as opposed to from outside it. you dont hear it only when listening to music, you hear it all the time. 

Quote:
320kbps can effect the sound dedpending on the headphones,sources amps ect

this is HIGHLY debatable. as mentioned above, i dont hear any difference at all. yes, some would disagree, some will also say you need high end gear to hear the difference - which i have nothing to say to since i dont own any high end gear, it bothers me that people state as fact something which isnt....
Quote:
I am using wav files mentioned above.  I am under the impression kbps specs are more related to mp3 files?  If not, how would you tell or where would I find this spec in iTunes?

Kilo Bytes Per Second is a spec related to most (if not all - i dont know) file types, lossy and lossless.

Quote:
Personally I take a mp3 file for instance. Say its 128kbps then I use a file converter and convert the mp3 at 128kbps to a wave file format at 1536kbps which turn it into a lossless audio file.

as mentioned by others, "upsampling" will achieve nothing...

Quote:
Something is introducing noise. if it's audible while music is playing, something along your chain is faulty, probably your source. If it's only audible during very quiet or blank sections, that's normal. No recording can be made without noise.

sais who? i have many songs (lossy compressions btw) with very quiet or blank section and the recording is dead silent. if your claiming that all recording will have audible noise then thats just not true. if your saying that all recording have some noise, but you dont necessarily hear it, then i may agree.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #29 of 32
That's exactly what I meant. I've done a bit of ABXing on my own and almost all songs were transparent to me, even compressed at LAME V2. However, Khazad-Dûm from the 3rd disc of the LotR Complete Recordings was not transparent at any level of LAME compression. Something about the treble in the percussion was never right. I got it right in something like 7 of 8 trials with that track.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:
That's exactly what I meant. I've done a bit of ABXing on my own and almost all songs were transparent to me, even compressed at LAME V2. However, Khazad-Dûm from the 3rd disc of the LotR Complete Recordings was not transparent at any level of LAME compression. Something about the treble in the percussion was never right. I got it right in something like 7 of 8 trials with that track.

well, if you can be bothered, compress it with a GOOD compression program, at 320 kbps and do another test, this time with 15 iterations and see if you can still tell the difference. do a couple of sets to be sure. if after all that you can still clearly differentiate between lossless and lossy then i take my hat off to you. many have claimed they can, i have yet to see someone prove it. just make sure you use a good compression program, or your results wont be taken seriously.
if you cant be bothered - nevermind 
tongue_smile.gif

btw - treble and percussion? interesting, its usually the dynamic range that gets blamed for "incriminating" a lossy compression...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back