Jul 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
Thanks for the concern.  I'll re-think this today when lifting and keep it in mind.  Without using the limiter on my iPod Classic, what % am I looking at for the highest I would want to go with my re400's?  Like 50% maximum output?

Without limiter or EQ, I recommend staying below 33-38% (with my RE-400, I personally listen anywhere from 25%-32%.  Make sure you insert the IEMs as deep as you can get as well to ensure a good seal to ensure a good sound.  Keep in mind, it may take your ears a little while to adjust to the lower volume, but once you're adjusted, you'll be fine. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #32 of 45
As mentioned earlier it really is best to get your hearing checked. I agree with tiny that the info you presented is indicating a case of tinnitus and the earlier you can get an assessment the better you would know how to protect yourselves.

Cheers

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #34 of 45
I listen to quite a lot of metal, but not on loud volumes.

Yeah mastering on some albums might be bad. Anyway I use a pair of westone um3x with shure olive tips so I get pretty good isolation. Might not be the best IEM to bring around while you are lifting but they definitely outperform most of the cheaper IEMs. You can hear separation, detail, and with good isolation you no longer need to listen on high volumes. I find metal perfectly awesome with the um3x. I hear things I couldn't hear a few years back before I started becoming serious about earphones/headphones!

I use it with a C&C BH, but before I got the amp, I found that it did just fine through a rockboxed ipod classic (7th gen). The amp was a long story - I wanted to pair it with my Shure 535s but I sold the phones in the end, so I'm stuck with the amp. Does fine with the um3x but it was a much better pairing with the Shures!

So I guess you are right in a sense that IEMs cannot 'match up' to headphones - usually they can't at the same price point, but there are plenty of capable IEMs out there that are well worth your money. Just keep at it! It would be good if you could find a place to audition earphones and such and find something suitable for your needs.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:
I like your VSD1 recommendation and would try it to appease a dilemma, but I only like to buy items readily available in the US.  Is there something similar to what you indicated about the VSD1 for metal and could even be a little more expensive if need be, but not really near $100 if possible.  Thanks.

Well, not really. The sony mh1c comes to mind but it's warmer and bassier and has problems - flat j-cord cable, which is microphonic; issues with moisture; issues with iphones and the volume fluctuating and is a lot harder to drive. The VSD1 is actually s really good sounding iem and one of the best I've heard in the sub-$100 range let alone under 50.

edit: Actually, the VSD1's info on LMUE has been changed and apparently it now also ships from a warehouse in USA http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=75&osCsid=c6e83fa5f94928639234d58b50e55936

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:
Thanks for this info.  I was looking at the e10, e30, mono price 8320, and she3590 last night and was thinking about jut ordering all of them, but decided to just try the Philips she3590.  After I get it in and try it out, I am thinking I will also try your suggestion.

Take your time with the she3590 - it's a decent iem even though the vsd1 is on another level 
size]

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #39 of 45
Unfortunately if you have never tried luxury high end iems you don't have the privilege of calling it a luxury toilet paper or questioning people of glorifying it. I've tried high end iems which sounds better than full sized can headphones above the $400 range. Granted the signature is different, but the quality is at least on par or better.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #42 of 45
Nah, more like OP is more of a headphone/speakers guy, and lack understanding.

Quote:

but luxury iems strike me as just too much, like luxury toilet paper where no matter what it gets smeared in your a*s to remove crap when its all done and said and I don't know how you can glorify something like that.

except toilet papers are for one-time use, and we don't trash our IEMs after one listen.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #44 of 45
The entire world of IEMs suffers greatly from the lack of in-ear measurement capabilities. Once you hit 85 dB, you're on the clock in terms of daily exposure, and the louder you listen, the less time you have. In general, the only way to know how loud you're actually listening is to snake a probe mic into the ear canal and measure what's happening in there. Sadly, very few audiologists even offer this service, as it requires specialized equipment. OTOH, general guidelines like "iPod 7th gen, no more than 35%" (or whatever) are well-intentioned and somewhat useful, but don't account for the significant output differences between models, nor do they provide any actual facts.

In theory, BA earphones are designed to work in a closed system. It's really all about S:N ratios. The isolation reduces the noise floor by shutting out ambience, enabling the user to hear the desired signal more clearly at lower volumes. The problem is that we are all creatures of habit, going back to familiar volume levels without a second thought. The safety aspects of IEMs require a change in behavior - something that few people accomplish without encouragement from thei audiologist.

Sensaphonics is a strong promoter of hearing health. We developed the dB Check in-ear sound level analyzer to address this specific issue for our customers. The device measures actual in-ear levels in real time, and provides a readout of maximum safe listening time under both NIOSH and OSHA standards. This allows users to know the facts and decide for themselves how loud (and how safe) they want to be - kind of like a speedometer in a car. (Note: As a hardware device, dB Check is programmed to analyze Sensaphonics and Shure SE models only. Sorry.)

Best practice is to get an annual hearing test. Comparing audiograms is a great way to detect slow-onset hearing loss and change your monitoring habits before it's too late.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:
The entire world of IEMs suffers greatly from the lack of in-ear measurement capabilities. Once you hit 85 dB, you're on the clock in terms of daily exposure, and the louder you listen, the less time you have. In general, the only way to know how loud you're actually listening is to snake a probe mic into the ear canal and measure what's happening in there. Sadly, very few audiologists even offer this service, as it requires specialized equipment. OTOH, general guidelines like "iPod 7th gen, no more than 35%" (or whatever) are well-intentioned and somewhat useful, but don't account for the significant output differences between models, nor do they provide any actual facts.

In theory, BA earphones are designed to work in a closed system. It's really all about S:N ratios. The isolation reduces the noise floor by shutting out ambience, enabling the user to hear the desired signal more clearly at lower volumes. The problem is that we are all creatures of habit, going back to familiar volume levels without a second thought. The safety aspects of IEMs require a change in behavior - something that few people accomplish without encouragement from thei audiologist.

Sensaphonics is a strong promoter of hearing health. We developed the dB Check in-ear sound level analyzer to address this specific issue for our customers. The device measures actual in-ear levels in real time, and provides a readout of maximum safe listening time under both NIOSH and OSHA standards. This allows users to know the facts and decide for themselves how loud (and how safe) they want to be - kind of like a speedometer in a car. (Note: As a hardware device, dB Check is programmed to analyze Sensaphonics and Shure SE models only. Sorry.)

Best practice is to get an annual hearing test. Comparing audiograms is a great way to detect slow-onset hearing loss and change your monitoring habits before it's too late.

Thanks Jack for posting this.  Came across the dB Check a while ago and was really intrigued by its application.  Too bad it seems to only work with sensaphonics IEM for the sound level check and made this of limited use to most of us....

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back