660s over 6xx - is it worth the upgrade?
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fgf6fqj

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I currently own a pair of 6xx (which I truly love) and thinking of upgrading to 660s. Any inputs if it’s a worthwhile upgrade as far as sound quality and listening experience is concerned?

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 18
As you already have the HD6XX and HD58X, can't really see a good enough reason for getting the HD660s.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 18
As you already have the HD6XX and HD58X, can't really see a good enough reason for getting the HD660s.
Running it through my DAC/amp setup I have noticed the clean amplified signal is pushing 6xx(balanced)/58x to their limits to the point the drivers start crackling at high gain well above normal listening levels but sometimes you want to crank the volume bit higher than normal for a brief moment to enjoy the music. I was wondering if 660s drivers allows to push even further without giving up.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Not sure what your asking but if you want to throw a lot of power at something I would suggest a planar. The crackling sound could also be your source and not the headphones and clipping could be a problem. From your signature it doesn’t seem that you have a lot of headphones to say it is the drivers that are crackling and don’t know if other headphones wouldn’t have the same results.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 18
Running it through my DAC/amp setup I have noticed the clean amplified signal is pushing 6xx(balanced)/58x to their limits to the point the drivers start crackling at high gain well above normal listening levels but sometimes you want to crank the volume bit higher than normal for a brief moment to enjoy the music. I was wondering if 660s drivers allows to push even further without giving up.
The 660S are a HD650 optimized for mobile setups with less impedance and easier to drive. As far as i know the 6xx is the same as the 650 so i think the answer to your question is a clear no?

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 18
The 660S are a HD650 optimized for mobile setups with less impedance and easier to drive. As far as i know the 6xx is the same as the 650 so i think the answer to your question is a clear no?
Thanks! That helps

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 18
No, it's no upgrade and when I looked at the recent Rtings measurements, they share similarities, but there are slight differences as well. Not enough difference for a purchase.

You can use 6XX with the Crack or you can use 660S with a portable. 6XX/650 on Crack will sound much better than 660S ever will. 300 ohm Sennheisers have it's advantages due to the impedance.

I assume people that like 660S runs on portable setups and those enjoy 6XX/650 runs it on some serious desktop rigs. If one is comparing both out of portable setup, it's really not fair.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 18
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 18
Got it. If it’s a muffled mess then there’s no point upgrading. Thanks for your input.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 18
No, it's no upgrade and when I looked at the recent Rtings measurements, they share similarities, but there are slight differences as well. Not enough difference for a purchase.

You can use 6XX with the Crack or you can use 660S with a portable. 6XX/650 on Crack will sound much better than 660S ever will. 300 ohm Sennheisers have it's advantages due to the impedance.

I assume people that like 660S runs on portable setups and those enjoy 6XX/650 runs it on some serious desktop rigs. If one is comparing both out of portable setup, it's really not fair.
measurements means nothing honestly . its just a base line . its never gonna tell you really how something sounds in reality . agree with the other points :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 18
I own the 660s, but I feel it is a muffled mess and would`nt recommend it.
I have had my HD 660S since Christmas. I agree they definitely were muddy the 1st day. So much so my HD 590's sounded better (on Asgard 3).

On day two they STARTED to clear up, but didn't clearly over take the HD 590's till 20 hours or so of break in.

Now (40 hours in) they are very clear and yet full bodied. I am hearing things I never heard before in recordings. In summary, very good. On the occasional track they still have a haze (is that the Sennheiser veil?). For instance on the whole RUSH live album Exit Stage Left, the guitar is hidden behind this veil. It is fixable with EQ and totally non existent on 95% of the music I listen to.

I suspect with some more burn in time, it may clear up completely. Although it may also just be showing the reality of a badly recorded album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back