650 setup - what can I spend money on next?
Mar 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

PascalT

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my 650s for about 8 months now and while I enjoy the experience, I still feel there's a couple of things I'd like to improve on:

- lack of kick. I think that comes from the smooth 650 sound and perhaps what people call the "veil" although I can't be really sure. I think I have the older 650 version (bought second hand)

- It lacks a bit of clarity/separation. I was thinking a cable upgrade might help with this. I was aiming for the Silver Dragon V2.

My current setup is Chaintech (WASAPI/optical) -> Beresford TC7510 -> Little Dot MKIII. Given what I feel is missing with the sound I get, what would you look at upgrading/changing the most? I have a feeling my DAC could be a lot better but I don't know. My budget is at the max $1000 but it needs to be something that will really elevate the sound to a new level. Perhaps waiting for the 800HD is the right way to go?
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 37
I got to compare my M3 to a Starving Student on a pair of 650's and there was definitely more bass with the M3. Maybe you wanna look at a solid state amp which would contrast with the typical warm sound you get from tubes? I might be talking out of my belly button too, who knows.

You could upgrade your DAC as the source is the most important part of a system but I have no suggestions in that area.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 37
the beresford is decent, but probably not up to the standards of the HD650 SQ wise. Besides upgrading that, i would suggest looking at a SS, same as Emooze above me. It will steer away from the warm sound, giving that kick you are looking for.

If you want a DAC and are up for some DIY, both the Opus and the Buffalo are amazing amps for an unbeatable price in that SQ range, and work great with the 650s. You would have to attach a Ballsie module to make them unbalanced (as these are balanced configuration DACs) but they will be miles ahead of what you have, and i like their synergy.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 37
thanks for the ideas.

the Opus Dac sounds like a cool idea. From what I read it's unbeatable at that price. I don't know how to solder tho (I assume it's needed, need to check..) so I might have to ask someone to do it for me ;p

SS amp might be a good idea as well.. I just invested a lot into tubes and the amp with the LD so I would upgrade the DAC before anything else.

thanks

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 37
My 650s have plenty kick hooked up to the iBasso D10. I however have the "new" version of these headphones. Hooked up via optical the DAC in the D10 is really nice (IMO, on par with the Pico). Although I'm not sure how it would compare to your current setup.

I personally feel a DAC upgrade would be more beneficial in regards to improving clarity and separation. I'm not very big on cable upgrades. Some people claim huge improvements from switching the stock cable but to me this is questionable, and might even be a placebo effect. I'm not about to spend $200+ on a cable to find out, though.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 37
The opus becomes largely pre-built, although there is a small bit of work to do. Im sure you could find someone willing to build one though. I am still busy building my own, and i am not exactly an expert, or i would offer my own services. Of course, i am including a Metronome and a HiFi2000 case in mine, along with the Ballsie, so mine is going to cost around 500 dollars in parts once all is said and done.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 37
Yea, i'm sure some ppl do it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd need a Ballsie as well. I'm not quite rdy to go balanced, especially when the HD800s are looming
wink.gif

Let me know how it goes inukage, I'm curious to know.

I've pretty much scratched the idea of a cable upgrade. I'll focus on a DAC.

So far the suggestions:

- Opus
- Buffalo
- iBasso D10

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 37
Woo Audio 2 for $950

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 37
I am going for a balanced setup to get a new taste from the HD650s.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 37
I would investigate both a better DAC and amp personally. Upgrading one or the other, you'll be limited by the one you don't upgrade.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my 650s for about 8 months now and while I enjoy the experience, I still feel there's a couple of things I'd like to improve on:

- lack of kick. I think that comes from the smooth 650 sound and perhaps what people call the "veil" although I can't be really sure. I think I have the older 650 version (bought second hand)

- It lacks a bit of clarity/separation. I was thinking a cable upgrade might help with this. I was aiming for the Silver Dragon V2.

My current setup is Chaintech (WASAPI/optical) -> Beresford TC7510 -> Little Dot MKIII. Given what I feel is missing with the sound I get, what would you look at upgrading/changing the most? I have a feeling my DAC could be a lot better but I don't know. My budget is at the max $1000 but it needs to be something that will really elevate the sound to a new level. Perhaps waiting for the 800HD is the right way to go?
wink.gif

If you want bloat to turn into IMPACT then get the Equinox 650 cable from Stefan Audio Art, you will get more impact and vocals will be more forward. You also need a new dac but the dac will not even come close to changing the bass the way you want it to as much as the Equinox cable. Your biggest hurdle will be all kinds of kooky people telling you I am wrong, spend money on this, spend money on that, blah blah, blah. Look at my Signature, I have a 1000 dollar dac and I'm telling you point blank, The OEM cable is where the too round bass and veil come from. Try it, if I'm not right then you can return it.
wink_face.gif

Think of the OEM cable as a filter, whatever amp and source you use will always be affected by that filter. You can buy equipment that is too bright or a cable that doesnt limit the 650, the 650 is really not a veiled headphone with the proper cable.

I would spend the remaining 600 on a source. Those two things should make a well rounded system, Tube rolling can be a great thing for your system too.

Now let all the fools try and dissuade you from the solution to your problem.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 37
Benchmark DAC 1. I owned one with the hd650's sounded good together, sound good with a tube amp too, but an all around great dac in your price range.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want bloat to turn into IMPACT then get the Equinox 650 cable from Stefan Audio Art, you will get more impact and vocals will be more forward. You also need a new dac but the dac will not even come close to changing the bass the way you want it to as much as the Equinox cable. Your biggest hurdle will be all kinds of kooky people telling you I am wrong, spend money on this, spend money on that, blah blah, blah. Look at my Signature, I have a 1000 dollar dac and I'm telling you point blank, The OEM cable is where the too round bass and veil come from. Try it, if I'm not right then you can return it.
wink_face.gif

Think of the OEM cable as a filter, whatever amp and source you use will always be affected by that filter. You can buy equipment that is too bright or a cable that doesnt limit the 650, the 650 is really not a veiled headphone with the proper cable.

I would spend the remaining 600 on a source. Those two things should make a well rounded system, Tube rolling can be a great thing for your system too.

Now let all the fools try and dissuade you from the solution to your problem.
rolleyes.gif

I applaud you for not mentioning the "Stello DA100 Signature".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back