650+Gilmore Lite=DAC?
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

intricate28

Head-Fier
Just got my HD650's that I'm currently using with a Headroom Micro Amp. Ordered a Gilmore Lite about 3 days ago (trying to forget I'll be waiting around a month for it to arrive). What DAC would go good with this combo? Budget around $400. I was currently thinking the Cambridge DAC Magic but if you have some other suggestions they are more than welcome.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 19
DACmagic or Pico DAC should do fine. The former has more input options but cost a bit more, and Pico DAC keeps it more simple and minimalistic while still having top class sound. I've only heard the DACmagic once so far, but from memory it does seem little more detailed than the Pico, but Pico has more of a "fun" sound and is a little more coloured... I felt that the overall performance was roughly at the same level though. So it depends on what you are looking for in terms of input options/sound signature/price/size.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 19
I wasn't aware that the Gilmore Lite is recommended for the HD650. If so, I guess I have another option, as far as headphones go. I also have a DacMagic on the way, and expect that it will make a nice pair with the GLite + DPS and the Denons and Grados I currently own. Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 19
After some extensive searching I heard that it is very highly recommended for the HD650's. Offsets some of the warm tones of the cans and brightens them up a bit.

As for my sonic preferences, I prefer a hefty amount of bass, lush mids, and rolled highs for long listening comfort. So far the HD650's have been right up my alley.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 19
I would be inclined to recommend the Musical Fidelity VDAC for your needs. Very clean sound with a tiny bit of injected warmth. Plus its a fantastic value.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 19
How does the Musical Fidelity compare to the Magic DAC (which I'm leaning towards), in warmth, cost, input/output flexibility etc.?

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 19
The DacMagic is a bit more detailed and provides a better, wider soundstage than the V-DAC. The input/output flexibility of the DM is also superior to the V-DAC. Cost- and warmth-wise, I think the MF V-DAC has the CA DacMagic easily beat, however.
smily_headphones1.gif
The relatively dark HD650's with added warmth may not be preferential, however.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 19
So far, the "veil" hasn't bothered me at all, but I agree with Sampson in that I don't think they need to be warmer. Brightening them up won't hurt them at all!

What I find perplexing currently though is the bass isn't what I thought it would be. From all the reviews of the HD650's I've heard that they are bass monsters, but they seem rather thin so far (have been getting better with burn in but they only have 100ish hours on them), even with material that is bass heavy.

I am not sure if this is from my lack of a decent source/transport (itouch with lossless files, eq/off). Or that my Micro amp just isn't doing the HD650's justice.

Which is again why I ordered the Glite in the first place as I heard that it opens them up some, and adds some body while bringing them forward.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the little dot dac, great quality/sound and balanced too

Unfortunately, the Gilmore Lite isn't balanced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio gd DAC-19

Might be above his budget, but a few people tend to end up upgrading from to the larger Audio-gd DACs and sell off their DAC19, so there's a chance the OP might find a good deal on one closer to his budget.

The other DAC people seem to swear by who own them is the AMB Gamma 2 (y2). Though they are DIY, I gather that they can be built by one of the authorised builders for within the OP's budget.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 19
OP, if you're looking for "hefty amount of bass, lush mids, and rolled highs for long listening comfort" then why are you getting the Gilmore Lite? This amplifier is pretty much dead neutral and for me, it's borderline to the bright side. It seems to me that a nice OTL tube amplifier like the Darkvoice will suit your preferences better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back