640C V2 plus Dacmagic Wow!
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ted Goldie

New Head-Fier
I have read a lot of people feel adding the Dacmagic to the 640C V2 would not make much of a difference because they use the same dacs. I disagree, I found the sound is much better through the Dacmagic. If you have a 640C V2 and are wondering if adding the Dacmagic would help I feel it really does improve the sound. For me the soundstage is wider and the base is more realistic. The instruments seem to be coming from a more exact location. The sound is good from the 640C V2 but I definitely like it more with the Dacmagic. Has anyone else found the same thing?

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Goldie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read a lot of people feel adding the Dacmagic to the 640C V2 would not make much of a difference because they use the same dacs. I disagree, I found the sound is much better through the Dacmagic. If you have a 640C V2 and are wondering if adding the Dacmagic would help I feel it really does improve the sound. For me the soundstage is wider and the base is more realistic. The instruments seem to be coming from a more exact location. The sound is good from the 640C V2 but I definitely like it more with the Dacmagic. Has anyone else found the same thing?

How is the 640c V2 connected to the DacMagic? RCA?

B

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 11
I connected with a digital cable to the DAC. It is a Harmonics Digital Copper. I am using RCA's to attach the DAC to my headphone amp a Darkvoice 332. When I connected the 640C V2 directly to the amp I used RCA cables. The tube amp only has RCA inputs.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes, I know what the Dacmagic is doing and how to place it in my system. Both the CD player and the Dacmagic have built in Dacs. They convert the sound from digital to analog. By putting the Dacmagic in the system it should not make a huge difference because the two Dacs are very similar in the CD player and the Dacmagic. My surprise was how much it improved the sound.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Ted, I think jilgiljongiljing was refering to bikeboy999's post.

I have to admit though the dacmagic is a nice bit of kit. Paired with my nad c521bee, to me, it gives a performance in a similar leauge to the rega apollo and naim cd5i I demoed a few weeks back, if in a sightly different sonic presentation.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 11
O.K. thanks. I found on Cambridge's site that they also think this combo will improve sound. I wonder if my setup is now close to the sound of the 740C Cambridge CD player? I have never heard the 740C.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 11
I auditioned the 650C and went with the Marantz CD5003 - technically, the CA player did a better job but it lacked the warmth and musicality of the Marantz. Have been meaning to hook the Topaz up to the optical out on the Marantz but I find myself putting a CD on and just letting it play through - great to have the music ahead of the gear again.

The 650C does get a lot of 'Highly Reccommended' ratings in various mags - happy to hear that you have been able to extract even more from it.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have no clue what the DacMagic is do you?

I have a 640c v2 as well, but do not remember it having outputs that would bypass the dac inside it. So I was wondering what would be the logic of using a DACMagic with a cdp with good dac in it.

B
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeboy999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 640c v2 as well, but do not remember it having outputs that would bypass the dac inside it. So I was wondering what would be the logic of using a DACMagic with a cdp with good dac in it.

B
L3000.gif

The Cambridge 640c v2 has digital outputs (coaxial and optical) that allow you to bypass the internal dac.

What is the logic behind it? Simply put, it is to get a better sound quality. I have a friend who has 2 Cambridge 640c v2 (one for his main system and another for his secondary system) and in both cases he "bypasses" the internal dac by connecting them to 2 Audiomat DACs (Tempo 2.5 and Tempo 2.6). In both cases the external DACs provide a big improvement over the internal DACs of the 640c v2.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
I believe rocgrotto sells an improved power supply for the dacmagic. I spliced up a power cable to go from my musical fidelity XPSU V3 to the dacmagic. I felt it was a huge improvement - smoother, more refined, lower - more - better bass, better instrument seperation, improved staging and dynamics and detail. Don't use those maplin ones - use a real audio grade transformer.

I wasn't sure how drastic these improvements were untill I bought a Bryston dac. A better - proper audio PSU - really brings the dacmagic to the direction of the bryston significantly. Its not even close with the standard psu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back