64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Sep 24, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #271 of 286
Can anyone break down the differences between the 1950s or 1960s cable for the u18t? Some prefer the 1950s and some swear by the 1960s.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #272 of 286
Between the DAPS: SP1000, SP1000M, and SE100 Models from the Brand AK... do they all sound pretty similar to each other? I have the U18T/A18T and am looking for some guidance which DAP to get. Do you guys think the SP2000 will be that much better or at this point, the differences are not audible?

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #273 of 286
Between the DAPS: SP1000, SP1000M, and SE100 Models from the Brand AK... do they all sound pretty similar to each other? I have the U18T/A18T and am looking for some guidance which DAP to get. Do you guys think the SP2000 will be that much better or at this point, the differences are not audible?

Since you are in NY, why not visit audio46 store in Manhattan to listen and to compare all 3 in there, and also SP2k since it's already released and still priced the same as SPK? I can tell you they sound different, otherwise, why would a company sell $1.7k, $2.4k, and $3.5k models to sound the same? :wink: But I think you will have to listen to it yourself, to convince your own ears, cause reading between the lines sounds like you already made up your mind about "pretty similar" and "not audible difference" and you want someone to convince you otherwise. Just being honest with you because this will drive you crazy with people offering different opinions since we all hear things differently. It's a big purchase, and luckily you can actually audition it to make the final call yourself, bud.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #274 of 286
Since you are in NY, why not visit audio46 store in Manhattan to listen and to compare all 3 in there, and also SP2k since it's already released and still priced the same as SPK? I can tell you they sound different, otherwise, why would a company sell $1.7k, $2.4k, and $3.5k models to sound the same? :wink: But I think you will have to listen to it yourself, to convince your own ears, cause reading between the lines sounds like you already made up your mind about "pretty similar" and "not audible difference" and you want someone to convince you otherwise. Just being honest with you because this will drive you crazy with people offering different opinions since we all hear things differently. It's a big purchase, and luckily you can actually audition it to make the final call yourself, bud.
Audio 46 does not have the SP2K for demo at the moment, they do have it in stock for sale though. But no, please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to have anyone convince me otherwise, sometimes the price differences aren't audible to the ear from a model to model basis which is why I am asking as I am trying to narrow it down with some guidance and self testing. I understand what you mean by "testing yourself is key" though.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #275 of 286
Audio 46 does not have the SP2K for demo at the moment, they do have it in stock for sale though. But no, please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to have anyone convince me otherwise, sometimes the price differences aren't audible to the ear from a model to model basis which is why I am asking as I am trying to narrow it down with some guidance and self testing. I understand what you mean by "testing yourself is key" though.
I have been fixated on the SP1000 and M since RMAF the last year when CANJAM was still there. My A18 really pairs extraordinary with those DAPs. Going back and forth between those and the rest of their lineup, it was just the SP1000 and M the impressed me with the rest of the lineup feeling underpowered. AK finally added enough juice in these models to allow my collection of CIEMs sing. Between the two, I was pointed more at the M version for being more pocketable which I felt was more important to me than the screen size, memory, and 2 hours battery. Then the SP2000 was rumored so I paused. @twister6 , have you heard the SP2000 yet to be able to compare to the M you reviewed?

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #278 of 286
Joining the A18 team!

_KE00036-Bearbeitet.jpg

I am almost shocked how much the CIEM differs from the Universal. For me, the U18t is clearly v-shaped among the neutral monitors. The A18t, however, is neutral-warm. Comparing the measurements and looking at the build, the reason seems to be the tia driver which sits almost 1cm deeper than with the universal. A lot of the forward-midrange of the U18 has been pushed to 10kHz and above, resulting in a darker and smoother treble response. As an effect, I also don't experience the bass as forward with the CIEM - it has more room and feels deeper. I think the review on Inner Fidelity described a similar experience.

I will give a pass on 64 Audio with the two versions differing that much, simply because when I look at my A18, there is no imaginable way to have the same setup in a universal design. For me, the A18t is a much better allrounder, which surprises me with much more musicality than the demo. But I was expecting a treble detail monster that would shove any cymbal splash into my face, which the A18t do not do. So people should keep this in mind - the A18 are not sharp at all!

BTW, my god, I love Apex! It's truly a night and day difference!

_KE00046.jpg

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #279 of 286
Joining the A18 team!

I am almost shocked how much the CIEM differs from the Universal. For me, the U18t is clearly v-shaped among the neutral monitors. The A18t, however, is neutral-warm. Comparing the measurements and looking at the build, the reason seems to be the tia driver which sits almost 1cm deeper than with the universal. A lot of the forward-midrange of the U18 has been pushed to 10kHz and above, resulting in a darker and smoother treble response. As an effect, I also don't experience the bass as forward with the CIEM - it has more room and feels deeper. I think the review on Inner Fidelity described a similar experience.

I will give a pass on 64 Audio with the two versions differing that much, simply because when I look at my A18, there is no imaginable way to have the same setup in a universal design. For me, the A18t is a much better allrounder, which surprises me with much more musicality than the demo. But I was expecting a treble detail monster that would shove any cymbal splash into my face, which the A18t do not do. So people should keep this in mind - the A18 are not sharp at all!

BTW, my god, I love Apex! It's truly a night and day difference!

A bit confused, and just to confirm, you are talking about U18t being V-shaped with a forward bass (not Fourte)? What eartips and which apex module are you using? Did you measure it yourself or looking at someone else's measurements (link?). Have you heard any other U18t to make sure nothing is wrong with your pair?

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #280 of 286
A bit confused, and just to confirm, you are talking about U18t being V-shaped with a forward bass (not Fourte)? What eartips and which apex module are you using? Did you measure it yourself or looking at someone else's measurements (link?). Have you heard any other U18t to make sure nothing is wrong with your pair?
I have access to two U18t demos and can confirm they are alike. I preferred the M15 modules but I haven't switched from M20 on the CIEM yet. I perform my own measurements and I only publish them when I can confirm them with sine swipes, which is the case here. (Haven't uploaded the A18t curve yet because the files are on a different computer.)

The resonance peak moves from 7 kHz (universal) to 11.5 kHz (CIEM) in my case. It makes sense as the tia drivers is really much closer to the ear drum than what would even be possible with the universal.

The A18t's treble sounds much more natural but also a hint recessed. This was definitely not the case with the U18t, for which I might have settled with the wrong ear tips. Final E should be closer to the CIEM than Sedna.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #281 of 286
The custom does indeed sound much different than the universal from my experience as well.

Things to listen for with the custom...

- better bass response (deeper) and warmer overall sound sig

- despite the warmer sig, the response is startlingly neutral and surprisingly exciting

- more detail all around...although the treble is more “natural” as you put it, there is more detail in the highs and across the spectrum

- sound stage/instrument positioning; I notice that I can place the positioning of instruments much better on the custom version

- I strongly preferred the m15 on the universal, however, I find myself switching happily between modules now with the custom. Completely agree that apex is a total game changer in terms of pressure comfort and elegance of simplicity for switching sound sigs

- lastly, try to listen with the pw 1950 cable...amazing

Enjoy!

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #284 of 286
Just to clarify...

A18 are not dark at all, but the bass presentation is more pronounced on the custom version.

That said, the entire frequency is presented in a startlingly balanced and neutral way; despite the bass bump, all frequencies blend similarly with virtually equal presentation.

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #285 of 286

Users who are viewing this thread

Back