634EARS: Impressions, Discussions, and Appreciations Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #646 of 685
Thinking about ordering one of the new models, talked with Musashi. And I want the one being the closest to the Prototype 3, got told the TX-02 is the one that is best for me.
But I thought the open back models was more bass light, but maybe its some magic sauce this time even if its open.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #648 of 685
Thinking about ordering one of the new models, talked with Musashi. And I want the one being the closest to the Prototype 3, got told the TX-02 is the one that is best for me.
But I thought the open back models was more bass light, but maybe its some magic sauce this time even if its open.
What back plate are you looking at?

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #649 of 685
I did have a brief listen to the LP02 which is the predecessor of the TX-02, it is definitely not bass light.

It also is really nice for vocals.

But this was pre-burn in, will have to ask my friend what it is like now.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #650 of 685
At this price I wish there was some sort of measurement available 😅 Even if measurements dont really show everything its a good to have.
Very close to pull the trigger and order TX02, screenshotted the data from the models. More easy to compare them when together like this.

TX01
TX01.png

TX02
TX02.png

TX03

TX03.png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #651 of 685
Mr Musashi convinced me to go with the LOAK2-Ti(CL) as opposed to the TS model.

If all goes well with this set, current plan would be to invest in one of the TX sets to go along with it. Both 02 and 03 are very nice looking.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #652 of 685
Mr Musashi convinced me to go with the LOAK2-Ti(CL) as opposed to the TS model.

If all goes well with this set, current plan would be to invest in one of the TX sets to go along with it. Both 02 and 03 are very nice looking.
Just sharing the blog post on his sound impressions of the 3D printed titanium and CNC machined titanium housing.

I am also mulling over whether to get the Loak2-Ti(CL) even though I already have the LP01. Might be the different between the Og Loak-T and the Og Loak-S.

https://blog.634ears.com/en/blog/20240126/

Comparison Test of Titanium Housings​

I created titanium housings through CNC machining as an alternative to the titanium 3D-printed housings used in LOAK-PROTOTYPE, and conducted sound tests.
DSC09545-1024x683.jpg
DSC09546-1024x683.jpg

The test earphones are made of the same wood and tuning as the LOAK-PROTOTYPE01 (LP01) Snakewood and 02 (LP02) African Padouk demo units currently on hand.
The titanium-bodied earphones (LOAK2 Titanium prototype) are shown in the photo above and are slightly greyish compared to the LOAK2 (stainless steel body).
DSC08631-1024x576.jpg
DSC08613-1024x682.jpg

The sound of two different earphones with the same tuning was compared.
In terms of appearance and build quality, it’s evident that LOAK2 Titanium (prototype) from this test outperforms. The precisely machined housing follows the design accurately without any distortion or uneven surface finish. In contrast, the 3D-printed housing, due to its manufacturing method, cannot achieve a perfect circular shape as designed, resulting in slight distortion and uneven texture on the surface.

Sound Comparison​

As expected, there are noticeable differences in sound between the two titanium housings. Even though both are titanium, there is a hardness difference between 3D printing and machining, as indicated by the manufacturer, and this difference is reflected in the sound.
The 3D-printed housing earphones produce a smarter (tighter) sound compared to CNC-machined ones. The sound contours are distinct and the response feels quick, creating an open and spacious sound with good clarity. However, there is a slightly stronger presence in the high frequencies.
On the other hand, earphones with CNC-machined housings have a slightly softer sound, and the sound lines feel slightly thicker. Especially in the mid-low range, there is more fullness. While the high frequencies are a bit milder compared to the 3D-printed version, the spatial depth seems to decrease, and the sense of openness in the sound is weaker. Additionally, the sound is a bit slower and smoother than the 3D-printed version, maintaining an overall unified feel.

My Impressions​

Initially, I perceived the difference in sound between the sharp and solid 3D-printed housing and the soft and mild sound of the CNC-machined housing as a matter of personal preference. The difference in sound is minimal, akin to choosing between the highest hardness of snake wood and rosewood in terms of wood selection.
However, after repeated listening, it became clear that earphones with 3D-printed housings sounded more refined and sophisticated, with nuances of sound resonance, gloss and tension that are difficult to capture in a frequency graph.This aspect is challenging to articulate, closer to a subjective feeling of being impressed or not.
Given the slight difference in sound, which may not be apparent without direct comparison, and considering that some aspects can be covered by wood selection, the disparity between the 3D-printed and CNC-machined housings may be more of a matter of personal preference. However, focusing solely on “sound quality,” the comparison between these two earphones suggests a difference in superiority beyond personal sound preferences.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #653 of 685
I have placed the order for LOAK2-TX01 with Sonokeling wood (hardness 8-9, density 7). It will take 4 weeks to have it made. It looks like rosewood with a slightly blacker shade. Entirely new wood. very excited to hear the final result.

Is he really Musashi??? Is he an offspring of the great Miyamoto Musashi?? :)
If he is...I am buying a pair instantly! :)
Sorry mate, he is not. He confirmed that.
But...you should still buy a pair. He is also a master in his arts, just like Miyamoto was in his.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #654 of 685
I have placed the order for LOAK2-TX01 with Sonokeling wood (hardness 8-9, density 7). It will take 4 weeks to have it made. It looks like rosewood with a slightly blacker shade. Entirely new wood. very excited to hear the final result.

But...you should still buy a pair. He is also a master in his arts, just like Miyamoto was in his.
Wonder when he still start offering the Hokkaido woods, the persimmon wood looks pretty good.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #655 of 685
Damn... :)

Yup, I will probably do that somewhere down the road.
It's not because of the sound; there are a lot of offers on the market regarding that, but it's the design that draws my attention.

Thanks for the clarification...

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #656 of 685
LOAK-TX02 ordered with a new special wood, Black Persimmon. I'm super excited 😁

1000034903.jpg

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #657 of 685
Comparison of Madoo Typ512 with LOAK2-TS:
  • LOAK2 has deeper subbass and slightly more controlled midbass, with faster slam and decay. The notes are more textured. This is better all around.
  • The midrange of LOAK2 is leaner and sharper. The lower-mid has less body, so sounds more clean. The upper mid has a bit more energy and the notes are slightly sharper, sometimes may come off as a bit raw. The midrange is more transparent.
  • The treble has distinctly more energy and stands out prominently in the mix. Lower treble has stronger presence and upper treble is more easily perceivable as well. This region is not overshadowed by the bass.
  • The resolution is perceivable better with more tangible note definition, but it also sounds a bit more raw compared to the 512's refined presence.
  • The soundstage is bigger in every aspect, and cleaner, with distinct 3D imaging. LOAK2 outshines the 512 in terms of technicalities.
  • 512 is more comfortable to wear with a more lightweight construction.
1000082935-01.jpeg

graph (8).png

graph (9).png

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #658 of 685
finally confirmed my LOAK2-Ti(CL) with copper blue back. :ksc75smile:

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #660 of 685
Singularity is significantly different than the Miroak-II. I wrote about it in a post on the watercooler, will copy/paste it here:

Pros
  • Very pleasing subbass with controlled midbass that does not overpower the mids
  • Well-separated midrange with smooth notes
  • Smooth and extended treble
  • The midrange notes are wonderfully natural and organic, with a very pleasant body. Note definition is top-notch.
  • Wide and deep stage
  • Overall a very refined presentation; can even be called romantic
Con
  • The upper midrange is somewhat pulled back and lacks the energy I normally look for.
  • Overall midrange feels very slightly veiled to my ears, perhaps pairing with a more powerful and dynamic source will clean that up.
  • While the notes are very well-defined, they do not exactly sound tangible, neither do they have class-leading resolution
  • Treble has less energy for my preference, the extension saves it from being muted.
1000072554-01.jpeg

Comparison with 634EARS LOAK-2(CL) (89800 JPY or around 600 USD)
  • LOAK-2(CL) has a more dynamic and more energetic sound in comparison.
  • The upper midrange and treble of LOAK-2(CL) are more forward, so the overall presentation is more clear.
  • The midbass of LOAK-2CL is stronger, perhaps slightly boomier in comparison.
  • The midrange notes of LOAK-2CL have a slightly thinner body and the edges are rougher compared to the Singularity's well-bodied smooth notes.
  • Resolution seems comparable between both, perhaps LOAk-2(CL) gets a slight upper hand due to the brilliant treble.
  • The Singularity has slightly better separation.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a similarly wide soundstage, but the depth is slightly more on the Singularity.
  • The LOAK-2CL has a more vibrant and slightly raw presentation compared to the Singularity's more laid-back and refined one.
1000072551-01.jpeg

graph.png

graph (1).png

Since I have sold my Miroak-II, cannot do an A/B comparison, but from memory, Singularity has slightly larger notes but smoother edges, whereas Miroak-II notes were slightly smaller but slightly sharper-edged. Singulariy has a very wide and deep stage, and subbass is noticeably more present. I liked the Miroak-II but did not really liked the Singularity.

Currently I am using the Technics EAH-TZ700. It is kind of like the Singularity but with more upper mids presence and more distinct treble.

Edit: What I do not understand is that people are not going after the LOAK-2(CL). It is a terrific iem for the price!
Sorry, mister, could you duplicate it in PM or write here about this comparison: as the owner of Sngl, it's also interesting to me :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed:
Here ya go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back