-
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 35
Computer --> DAC --> Active speakers. 

You will want the best output you can get from your computer, this may mean a dedicated higher end USB card or audio card to feed your DAC. Common inputs in a DAC will be USB, firewire, or SPDIF.  

If you have a budget of a grand, then I would think you would want a better output than a sub-$50 dollar creative soundcard. One option is to bypass the audio card completely, and use USB out from your computer, into an asynchronous DAC. This is best done with a dedicated, high-speed USB hub, not shared with anything else on your computer. 

For the DAC, there are plenty in the sub $300 range that will do a lot. if you are into headphones at all, then look into one that is a DAC/Amp combo. 

You will want active, powered speakers, so you do not need an amp cluttering the desktop. The studio monitors being tough on poor recordings is a bit overblown in my opinion. They are meant to be more revealing, that is all. They won't make all your poorly recorded music sound any worse than they already are. It really comes down to your listening preference. if you want to get blown away by good recordings, then spend 2/3 or more of your budget on excellent, small studio monitors. If you want to listen to lossy mp3s or iTunes, then you will want something totally different.  I wouldn't worry about the sound of the system when you '..go wild punk with friends over'.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 35
Are you connecting the Z5500 with audio (analog) cables? or are using using the digital optical cable?
The Xtreme Audio card is Creative Labs way of selling you their low cost bottom basement sound card.
Try removing the Xtreme Audio (and it's software) and just run an optical cable from your motherboard into the Z5500
(if your motherboard has an optical output?).

I'm assuming you looking at getting away from a 5.1 speaker set and going just Stereo 2.0 (or 2.1) channel?

Polk Audio RTi6 speakers, on sale for $200 for the pair, sold by Newegg
Velodyne VX-11 sub-woofer, on sale for $160, sold by amazon

Yamaha RX-V371 AV receiver, sells for $180 at Newegg.
The Yamaha comes with surround sound for headphones.
So surround sound for movies and gaming with headphones.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I can tell that it is going to be a challenge to find your recommendations here in Norway, the availability is apparently not very good.
So from what I understand i need a DAC, active speakers, new soundcard while only needing a reciever for surround? Why won't i get surround directly? Because of the DAC? Anyway i was indeed planning to replace my 5.1 with 2.0 or 2.1, and I won't be buying headphones any time soon, but it's nice to have the opportunity.
More recommendations would be great, I don't think I can benefit from most of the deals from the US, the speakers you listed can't be shipped here, and im guessing the shipping price would be high.
I'll use optical from the motherboard from now on (until i get something better), thanks. My MB is Asus P5K Premium

Please add the word Norway to your community profile. Then I would stop making impractical recommendations.

One thing to try is something like the DAC Destroyer (USB DAC), they sell for as little as $50 on eBay.
You could hook up some powered Studio monitors to the DAC Destroyer.

Or buy a used receiver with used pair of speakers,
A 4 or 5 year old receiver would come with a digital optical input.

I like receivers because they come with optical inputs, built in decent DACs and can power speakers and headphones.
Everything in a package.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 35
Here are a few monitors I found from a Norwegian site:

Mackie MR5mk2 pair for $450 (this is a deal apparently)
Adam A3X pair for $870
KRK Rokit RP6G2 pair for $610
KRK Rokit RP5 G2 pair for $430
Yamaha HS80M pair for $800
KRK VXT 4 pair for $870

Anything good there?

Say I get the DAC Destroyer, in what way should I connect it to the PC? GarfLeonard mentioned a high-speed USB hub?

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 35
I suggest you get a pair of Jamo C603's to start and an old used amplifier with decent power like a Sony TA-F650ESD which can be had for under 150 euro in excellent state and already has a DAC.

Then you can search for a DAC that will make a difference compared to the onboard DAC to YOUR ears. The same with speakers. It will be hard to find speakers for a reasonable budget that will better the 603's though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:

One thing to try is something like the DAC Destroyer (USB DAC), they sell for as little as $50 on eBay.

I just can't understand why you proposed a 50 buck DAC to a guy that has 1000 bucks to spend and probably will stay with his new gear for years until he upgrades??

O.k Urinator let's get serious man..
First off,the prices of that specific site that you've found in Norway are outrageous..
I recommend to shop from Thomann,a well known store in Germany which is highly reliable,cheaper and provides warranty..
http://www.thomann.de/intl/index.html

You wrote that you like psychedelic/punk and you want to spent 1000 bucks for your new system..
The KRK VTX 4 sounds good for your purpose and they will serve you well..
You can pair them with the Mini-I Dac which has balanced outputs..
http://www.thomann.de/intl/krk_vxt4.htm
http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=55

Later on you may want to add a sub to the system because you won't be getting from the monitors the sub bass you get from your z5500 sub woofer.
This may be a problem for you to adjust to a less bassy system but you will be rewarded with crisp,clear and analytical sound from your monitors.

Now if you are a basshead and you can't live without sub bass then you should check the RP5's with the 10'' sub and you can get the Matrix M-stage with the Usb Dac which you can use it as a preamp and control the volume from i'ts knob...
http://www.thomann.de/intl/krk_rp5_rokit_g2_bundle.htm
http://www.thomann.de/intl/krk_10s.htm
http://www.ampcity.co.uk/brands/matrix/matrix-m-stage-usb.html

Now if you want to spend more than 1000 bucks i may change my proposals..

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

I just can't understand why you proposed a 50 buck DAC to a guy that has 1000 bucks to spend and probably will stay with his new gear for years until he upgrades?

The DAC Destroyer's advertised price is $129.
And it is a decent DAC,
Swapping the Xtreme audio for the DAC Destroyer by it's self should improve the sound of his current setup.
He may not need to spend $1000 to get sound he would be happy with.
He might be able to get away with spending under $500.
Ordering the KRKs from Thomann sounds like a good idea.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:

The DAC Destroyer's advertised price is $129.
And it is a decent DAC,
Swapping the Xtreme audio for the DAC Destroyer by it's self should improve the sound of his current setup.
He may not need to spend $1000 to get sound he would be happy with.
He might be able to get away with spending under $500.
Ordering the KRKs from Thomann sounds like a good idea.

O.k thanks for the info,my bad..
But i still think he should invest on a DAC with more functions..

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 35
No specific reason for the different Dac/pre amp i proposed..
Mostly because i happen to own the M-stage and i find it to have a good synergy with my KRK's..
It's your choice which one suits you better..
And yes i added the RP5's on my second proposal because i didn't want to exceed your budget..
Bear in mind that the VXT4's are superior in every aspect but they are aimed for proffesionals and people who make mixes..
That means that they are keepers,at least for a long time..
If you do plan to upgrade in the near future then the RP5's are good starters..

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 35
I think you mean the balanced cable plug...
tongue.gif

The VTX4's doesn't have rca inputs so you''ll have to skip the M-Stage and go for the Mini-I which has balanced outputs..
You can make all the connections with balanced cables.
Unfortunately M-stage only has unbalanced rca outputs so it doesn't suit you..

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
Am I going to face any challenges concerning connections? I'm looking at a picture of the back of the VXT4, and it's a plug i don't even recognize. Do i need adapters?
I feel set on the VXT4's, now I'm trying to figure out whether to Matrix or Destroyer. Pros and cons? Can I connect a sub to them?
Finally, I'd like to share a piece of my heart for everyone who has contributed here, I appreciate it greatly =)

I believe you can use a 1/4" mono channel connector (TRS?), just like the normal 1/4" stereo connector, but only single channel (Mono).
I believe most sub-woofers sold today are expected to be plugged into the RCA "sub-wooder" jack on the back of a receiver.

You might well be happy enough just using the KRKs speakers and skip the sub-woofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back