$60 headphones with clean mids and highs?
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sarita Coshaa

New Head-Fier
hi everyone, just a few minutes ago this thing allowed me to start a new thread so sorry for the spam in other threads.

Im a newbie in this audio thing so i need help. i want headphones only for rock music and some FPS games, so i want clear mid and highs, i dont mind bass at all, i just dont want it to sound fake and overpowered like most cheap headphones, i mean, if a Pentium 4 cant run Battlefield 4 dont make it do it.

i want a closed over ear ones and it would be great if nobody could hear my music, this is not important but i prefer if they do it.

Options:

Sennheiser HD 202, HD 203 or HD 419.

koss ProDJ100

Sony MDR-PQ1

Sony MDR-NC8 (cheap noise canceling, idk if this help to keep my music for myself, but i care more about sound quality)

Pioneer HDJ-500

Philips SHB7000 (bluetooth, i dont mind this, just i want to know if this sounds decent with the cable, bc with bluetooth it wont.)

i also saw the Sony MDR-XB 450, but they dont cover thr ear, should i give it a oportunity??

Also a Panasonic RP-HTF600 but this would be a international shipping but i dont want to wait that much, so i discard them unless you say they are far better than the other onez.

PS. If you have better options under $60, let me know please. Consider that in my 3rd world country nothing is as cheap as you buy it, so do not recomend little or rare brands because they dont come, and if they do, they are expensive. Thanks everyone.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Have you gone to a store to try some headphones out? That's usually the best test to find out what you like
From personal experience I only know the Sennheisers (I think only the 203 but I'm not sure). They're pretty solid for the price.
The sound signature you're describing seems to me like it would suit the AKG house sound. The K512 mkII perhaps? I've only really listened to their semi-open headphones which are great but do not isolate all that well.

That being said, I think that especially for game a decent amount of bass is actually quite important. Especially in shooters and racing games I like to feel the rumble.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 13

As wolfjeanne stated, AKG K512 mkII is a very clean sounding one with nice Soundstage.
Superlux HD 681 EVO could suit as well.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Have you gone to a store to try some headphones out? That's usually the best test to find out what you like
From personal experience I only know the Sennheisers (I think only the 203 but I'm not sure). They're pretty solid for the price.

The sound signature you're describing seems to me like it would suit the AKG house sound. The K512 mkII perhaps? I've only really listened to their semi-open headphones which are great but do not isolate all that well.

That being said, I think that especially for game a decent amount of bass is actually quite important. Especially in shooters and racing games I like to feel the rumble.

Where i live there aren't physic shops where you can try tons of headphones, just ****ty and expensive beats and skullcandy.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 13
No AKGs in you country? In my experience Amazon has always been pretty fast.
From the ones you mentioned Id go with the Sennheisers, but up the ante and take the HD 439.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Gemini hsr 1000 or takstar 80?

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 13
No AKGs in you country? In my experience Amazon has always been pretty fast.
From the ones you mentioned Id go with the Sennheisers, but up the ante and take the HD 439.

Yea i can find AKG but they are expensive, and i cant really pay the 439, they are just a bit expensive, but i cant pay it. And amazon would be like 15 days late, i dont want to wait.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 13
15 days wait seems like a fair investment into owning a pair of headphones that you will actually like...

I've only demoed the k81 and thought they were okay. This is a long while back though, when they first came out, so you're probably better off finding some proper reviews. The k99 and k77 are both semi-open and aimed at studio use, so probably neutral/mid-centric/bright. From your description you would like it, but again for your intended use I would personally like something more engaging. Especially for gaming I would prefer the sennheisers.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 13
15 days wait seems like a fair investment into owning a pair of headphones that you will actually like...

I've only demoed the k81 and thought they were okay. This is a long while back though, when they first came out, so you're probably better off finding some proper reviews. The k99 and k77 are both semi-open and aimed at studio use, so probably neutral/mid-centric/bright. From your description you would like it, but again for your intended use I would personally like something more engaging. Especially for gaming I would prefer the sennheisers.

na i dont want to wait xD

I've read and those K's are not sooo good. Here are final elections. Sennheiser HD 419, Panasonic RP-HTX7 or Koss ProDJ100. I dont care so much about gaming, i want clear mids and highs with at least a decent bass.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 13
I've read and those K's are not sooo good. Here are final elections. Sennheiser HD 419, Panasonic RP-HTX7 or Koss ProDJ100. I dont care so much about gaming, i want clear mids and highs with at least a decent bass.

The 419 might need eq'ing to bring out the mids and highs.  The 439 and 449 have a bit of a "warm veil" to me. Good overall though, other than cheap feeling.

DJ100 might be just what you're looking for, though based on reading many posts about it, you will likely want an amp for it if you don't already have one.  Build quality has metal and should easily be the most impressive of these in that regard. 

Half of this post is based on lots of reading of other posts since I've considered getting all of those at some point.  I still want a pair of DJ100 when the right sale comes along. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 13

Yeah thanks, i just bought the DJ100, they will come tomorrow, i hope they dont need burn-in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back