6.35mm to 4.4mm adapter?
Nov 12, 2022 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I have some headphones where the cable is terminated with a 6.35mm jack. I have portable players (like dx240) and portable dacs that have 4.4mm balanced inputs and no 6.35mm inputs. What can I do or buy (please post links because I can't find anything after a long Google search) in order to use headphones on those devices?

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I have some headphones where the cable is terminated with a 6.35mm jack. I have portable players (like dx240) and portable dacs that have 4.4mm balanced inputs and no 6.35mm inputs. What can I do or buy (please post links because I can't find anything after a long Google search) in order to use headphones on those devices?
You probably mean output (something that a signal comes out of), right? Just asking because some iFi amps also have a 4.4mm balanced input (to use with DACs that have a 4.4mm output, or adapter cables).

So something like these two?
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Headphone-Adapter-Crystal-Balanced/dp/B0BFCG2XJM/
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Adapter-Balanced-Female-Headphone/dp/B093B9BJSF/

Don't know whether they are any good. There are also a bunch of custom cable makers that can make you one, like ZMF: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/cables/products/zmf-adapters

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 5
6.35mm plug on headphones means it is wired in single-ended configuration, trying to plug a single-ended headphone into a 4.4mm balanced output socket using adapter means you will SHORT-CIRCUIT the output stage of your source. At best you will get some weird stereo imaging issue with bad crosstalk, at worst you can actually burn out your source

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Which headphones are they, are they hard wired like grado or some audio technica, if they are not power hungry headphones then there is no need to bother as balanced means more power and not necessarily better sound, if the dap is driving them sufficiently with 3.5mm then don't worry about it, you do know that the 6.35mm screws off to reveal a 3.5mm

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 5
6.35mm plug on headphones means it is wired in single-ended configuration, trying to plug a single-ended headphone into a 4.4mm balanced output socket using adapter means you will SHORT-CIRCUIT the output stage of your source. At best you will get some weird stereo imaging issue with bad crosstalk, at worst you can actually burn out your source
You're right, I misread his post.

You can plug balanced headphones (4-pin XLR, 4.4 mm TRRS, ...) into single ended outputs (results in ground being shared between the channels), but the other way around is dangerous unless you know for certain that the output is just provided for convenience and basically a built-in adapter, like on the Drop THX AAA amp. But such a device would also have some unbalanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back