6.35 mm to 2.5 mm Adapter?
Aug 31, 2019 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

haibrands

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know a good adapter for getting my 2.5 mm cable into a 6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8?

Basically I need a 6.35 mm male to 2.5 mm female adapter. I'm not too sure on the specifics but since my headphone cable is balanced TRRS, would this be fine going into a balanced 6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8's? I read a review or two saying that it's not balanced but I can't seem to find any other options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FNHDNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mrLADbZQZK8EZ

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 8
[QUOTE="haibrands, post: 15158580, member: 4

6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8's? I read a review or two saying that it's not balanced but I can't seem to find any other options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FNHDNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mrLADbZQZK8EZ[/QUOTE]
First off I have not heard of a 6.35mm balanced headphone cable though someone might be coming out with it who knows as it changes all the time. The adapter you mentioned is not a balanced adapter as you need 4 connections to be balanced L+ L- R+ R- so that adapter is 2.5mm balanced to 6.36mm single ended. If you want to stay balanced you need a 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR. Like this sorry but editing on a phone is not easy for me.

974904A9-2361-4848-8010-A0AD6209DB70.jpeg
2866386D-A6FA-4F33-85CB-1A74A8BBD685.jpeg

Aug 31, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 8
Does anyone know a good adapter for getting my 2.5 mm cable into a 6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8?

Basically I need a 6.35 mm male to 2.5 mm female adapter. I'm not too sure on the specifics but since my headphone cable is balanced TRRS, would this be fine going into a balanced 6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8's? I read a review or two saying that it's not balanced but I can't seem to find any other options.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FNHDNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mrLADbZQZK8EZ

Only the XLR socket on the SH-8 is balanced. The 6.35mm socket is unbalanced / single-ended. Unless it is specified for converting balanced to single-ended, many of these 'adapter' on Amazon are not actually wired correctly internally. I strongly advise not to buy any adapter from Amazon, as you might ended up short-circuiting something unintentionally. Just find any decent cable maker and (s)he will build a proper one for you.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 8
6.35 mm jack on my SMSL SH-8's? I read a review or two saying that it's not balanced but I can't seem to find any other options.
First off I have not heard of a 6.35mm balanced headphone cable though someone might be coming out with it who knows as it changes all the time. The adapter you mentioned is not a balanced adapter as you need 4 connections to be balanced L+ L- R+ R- so that adapter is 2.5mm balanced to 6.36mm single ended. If you want to stay balanced you need a 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR. Like this sorry but editing on a phone is not easy for me.

That's okay, I understood completely, thanks. I completely let it slip my mind and eyes that there is indeed an XLR output on the SMSL SH-8. I'll go ahead and look for a 2.5 mm to XLR converter as that makes MUCH more sense.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Only the XLR socket on the SH-8 is balanced. The 6.35mm socket is unbalanced / single-ended. Unless it is specified for converting balanced to single-ended, many of these 'adapter' on Amazon are not actually wired correctly internally. I strongly advise not to buy any adapter from Amazon, as you might ended up short-circuiting something unintentionally. Just find any decent cable maker and (s)he will build a proper one for you.

Ohh I see. The SMSL SH-8 does have a balanced output? In which case, I would be better off getting an XLR to 2.5 mm, I just didn't see an XLR output on the amp. I've checked now and it's obviously in plain sight, I don't know how I missed it before. Let me know if you have any XLR to 2.5 mm adapter suggestions

Does this apply to 3.5 mm TRS as well, it's single ended? I found a lot of high quality 3.5 mm TRS cables but since I was striving for balanced, I was under the assumption I need a TRRS plug like on most 2.5 mm ones or simply an XLR plug. There simply aren't 3.5 mm TRRS.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Don't have any specific cable maker or brand to recommend you as I usually build my own cable / adapter if I need one.

Yes, 3.5mm TRS is single-ended, but there is balanced 3.5mm TRRS as well, more commonly known as the Hifiman standard (*where 2.5mm TRRS balanced is the A&K standard, 4.4mm TRRRS is the Sony / Pentacomm standard).

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Don't have any specific cable maker or brand to recommend you as I usually build my own cable / adapter if I need one.

Yes, 3.5mm TRS is single-ended, but there is balanced 3.5mm TRRS as well, more commonly known as the Hifiman standard (*where 2.5mm TRRS balanced is the A&K standard, 4.4mm TRRRS is the Sony / Pentacomm standard).

Ahh that's really interesting. Are there also unbalanced 4 pin XLR terminations or is it safe to assume a cable is balanced as long as it has a 4 pin XLR?

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Ahh that's really interesting. Are there also unbalanced 4 pin XLR terminations or is it safe to assume a cable is balanced as long as it has a 4 pin XLR?

There are a lot of incompetent brands and cable maker out there these days that I don't personally think you can assume anything anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back