5th Gen vs 5.5 Gen Video iPods
Mar 19, 2007 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if anyone knows what was changed physically last fall when they rolled out the new version video iPod. Did they put different batteries in them, or did they just tweak the firmware to be more efficient...hence longer battery life? I'm trying to figure out if I should spend the money on a new 5.5G 80gb or save a couple bucks and get a refurbished 5th Gen 60gb? Do both support movies?

Thanks in advance!
-nickknutson

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 26
I just upgraded, much longer battery life, and the screen is brighter. The 30, 60 or new 80 will support Movies, but only the 80 will play a 2 hour movie with time to spare.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 26
Depending on where The Frozen Tundra is, Apple U.S. has nearly all recent models refurbished right now.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 26
Thanks for the help guys.
blessingx - I'm in MN, it was really cold here when I put that for my location...now it's warming up, so it's time to change it to "Luke Warm Tundra".

So, they did change something physically(ie batteries) to the 5.5g iPod.

Anyway, here's my thinking...
I just ordered a Nano, for portability/running. Now I want to buy an iPod to download TV shows onto...I won't really watch the shows on the iPod itself anyway, I have a AV cord to hook up to my TV. Then ultimately, for audio bliss I plan on ordering a 60gb iMod. I was just trying to save a few bucks on the video so I can put that money toward a iMod.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just upgraded, much longer battery life, and the screen is brighter. The 30, 60 or new 80 will support Movies, but only the 80 will play a 2 hour movie with time to spare.

the 30 and 60GB 5G where upgraded via firmware and now have longer battery life
http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodb...tery/index.php

the 30GB 5G, 60GB 5G, 30GB 5.5G, and 80GB 5.5G should all be able to play a 2 hour movie with time to spare.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 26
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The ipod firmware upgrade's longer battery life only applies when you turn the brightness all the way down to its lowest and I for one leave it 1/5 of the way.

The new ipods are a real bargain, with a brighter screen and a new search engine thingy. I'm still feeling a little f-ed up cause I bought my 5G 2 weeks before the 5.5G was introduced. Arh!

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still feeling a little f-ed up cause I bought my 5G 2 weeks before the 5.5G was introduced. Arh!

Should've returned it for a 5.5G
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 26
I went with the refurbished 5G 60gb as opposed to the 5.5G. I use the video minimally but playback and screen brightness adjustment makes it fully functional for me. A lot more music/$$ and video/game capability if I want it. I think its a great deal. I can live without the search function too.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 30 and 60GB 5G where upgraded via firmware and now have longer battery life
http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodb...tery/index.php

the 30GB 5G, 60GB 5G, 30GB 5.5G, and 80GB 5.5G should all be able to play a 2 hour movie with time to spare.

I have a 30 a 60 and a new 80.. no comparison. The firmware update didnt do much.. the 30 has the slimmest battery and has never give me a full 2 hour movie, the 60 does and then dies and as I stated, the 80 can play a 2 hour movie and have juice left.

Note I didnt and dont play with all the settings to see what happens.. I have em all just cranked up as I like the brightness at full power on the 30 and 60. The 80 with the improved screen only needs to be a half to give me the same effect.

I would not hesitate to buy an 80 again, I think its by far the best value IF you need the space and watch movies. The 30 feels the best in your hand and to carry around.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 26
I hadn't watched a movie on my 5 gen ipod since the update so i put one on last night and was pretty surprised by the results. It lasted the full 2h 24 mins of armageddon ( i know its not a great film but was only for testing purposes
wink.gif
) with full backlight and then a further 40 mins of music . Not too bad i think

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 30 a 60 and a new 80.. no comparison. The firmware update didnt do much.. the 30 has the slimmest battery and has never give me a full 2 hour movie, the 60 does and then dies and as I stated, the 80 can play a 2 hour movie and have juice left.

Note I didnt and dont play with all the settings to see what happens.. I have em all just cranked up as I like the brightness at full power on the 30 and 60. The 80 with the improved screen only needs to be a half to give me the same effect.

I would not hesitate to buy an 80 again, I think its by far the best value IF you need the space and watch movies. The 30 feels the best in your hand and to carry around.

So, these DAPs with a 2.5 screen and with that simple GUI can't do a full 2 hours movie. LOL. And the ifanboys always attacking the newcomers. hypocrits.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, these DAPs with a 2.5 screen and with that simple GUI can't do a full 2 hours movie. LOL. And the ifanboys always attacking the newcomers. hypocrits.

Yawn.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure what these peeps are talking about, i have a 80g video ipod and i get over 5 or 6 hours of video playback in additional to music listening on a charge.
confused.gif

right... the 80 is new, with a new larger battery... Nick was asking about the last generation.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 26
I have an Ipod Video 30gb 5.0 generation. Before the firmware update, it would just play videos for just over two hours as specified. After the firmware update, videos would play for over three and a half hours, the same as the new 5.5G 30gb Video Ipod.

As far as I know, the 5.5 gen improvements included the brighter screen and the search feature. The main improvement to video play time came from the improved firmware (less CPU load). There was little or no change in music play time with the firmware update. In fact, the Ipod 60gb and the newer 80gb get up to 20 hours of music play time. Both 30gb versions get up to 14 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back