5th Gen vs 5.5 Gen Video iPods
Mar 21, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Ipod Video 30gb 5.0 generation. Before the firmware update, it would just play videos for just over two hours as specified. After the firmware update, videos would play for over three and a half hours, the same as the new 5.5G 30gb Video Ipod.

As far as I know, the 5.5 gen improvements included the brighter screen and the search feature. The main improvement to video play time came from the improved firmware (less CPU load). There was little or no change in music play time with the firmware update. In fact, the Ipod 60gb and the newer 80gb get up to 20 hours of music play time. Both 30gb versions get up to 14 hours.

3 and a half hours on a 5th gen 30 gig? maybe its the codecs were using to encode our video because the 3 folks along with myself that have this same unit and the latest firmware dont get any where near that amount of time, maybe its the screen brightness .. oh well , once I bought an 80 I never looked back and gave the 30 to my son.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't you charge it up and try it?

'

Nice... yea we have all tried it 2 - 2.5 hours seems to be where they hit the wall.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

what? i thought you said

not sure why were wasting space here.. but I have never seen much over one movie.. 2 hours.. my friends have hit the wall somewhere between 2 and 2. 5 hours..with the new firmware. Maybe its because ours were early models or something.. who knows.. the point of the thread was to help Nick get a unit for VIDEO.. if you want to watch one show and then stick it in the charger for 3 hours then have at it. I got the 80 because my 30 (or 60 for that matter) didnt give me an acceptable run time

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 26
maybe its because you haven't really tested and don't even have your own numbers straight. you have said multiple times that the 80GB ipod is the only one that can play a 2 hour movie, which disagrees with many other accounts - even your own.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

maybe its because you haven't really tested and don't even have your own numbers straight. you have said multiple times that the 80GB ipod is the only one that can play a 2 hour movie, which disagrees with many other accounts - even your own.

LOL, dude. why are you attacking a ipod owner ? I really want to know...
eggosmile.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 26
... why anyone would even think about watching a movie on a 2" screen. Call me old and nuts... I got better thngs to do.

Now, if we're gonna talk music time, that's a very interesting (and useful) subject.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #26 of 26
yea.. when i first got my treo phone, i thought it would be awesome to watch videos and streaming tv on the screen. needless to say, 1.5 years later, i have never even completed a music video, much less a tv show or movie. however, i do see a lot of folks on the bus to work watching videos..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back