chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=x-large][size=small]10/12/05 [/size]
5th Gen Video Ipod
[/size] [size=small]
[size=small]Video Ipod - realtime decoding of MPEG4
30GB. $299
60GB. $399
MPEG4, H.264. 260,000 colors. Video out.
New iPods shipping next week.
Comes with own CASE
2.5 inch screen
320x240
260,000 colors
Sound Q = or better then shuffle (see review from ilounge)
h.264 Video Support
Video Out to TV
Holds over 150 hrs of video
Battery life extended to 20 hrs. for 60 gig.
iTunes 6 is released (selling $1.99 Music Videos and ABC TV shows)
31% thinner than current 20GB;
[/size]
[/size]
[size=large]First Review from ilounge
[size=x-small]http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...video-playback/[/size]
[/size]

[size=medium]Engadget First take on 5 Gen[/size]
[size=small]http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000150063278/[/size]
[size=x-large]Pictures of New Ipods
0.jpg

ilounge-ipod.jpg

[size=medium]
5th Gen iPod has a noticeably larger display, approximately 2.5 to 2.6 inches diagonal; both taller/wider.[/size]
[/size]

5G_ipod.jpg

[size=small]Here my favorite photo of the black Ipod...
http://www.apple.com/ipod/gallery/blackset.html[/size]

[size=large]Here is the Summary of the conference....[/size]
[size=small]
- There are three 'acts' to his speech. The best will no doubt come last. Anyway, Act 1 is the iMac - which sold over 1m in last year. The all-new iMac has three new features: it's thinner, it's got an iSight videocamera built in and new app called Photobooth. Finally, there's a new app called Front Row. (see below for more)

- Act Two:the iPod. Apple has shipped over a million Nanos in less than five weeks. Now, it's the NEW white iPod - and yes it does video! The format is similar to the old pod but with a bigger screen - a 2.5in TFT display with 320x240 pixels with realtime decoding of MPEG 4 and H.264 video. It's only got 260,000 colours but it does have video output to connect to TV.

- The video iPod is available in 30 and 60 GB capacities - and both are thinner than the current 20GB Pod. 30GB will be $299, 60GB will be $399. UK prices will be confirmed later. And did we mention it was available in black? Oh yes, and it comes with a case, so don't worry about scratches! 20 hrs. battery life for 60 gig and 14 hrs. for 30 gig.

- Steve has demonstrated the quality of the iPod screen playing back vdeo and it really is impressive - although it's a bit of a surprise to see the Pod still has a 4:3 screen. I guess movies are a way off...

- There are two ads for the video iPod being previewed, one featuring U2 and one with Eminem (who's obviously settled his dispute with Apple).

- Act three: iTunes iTunes has an 84% market share in the US. Five weeks after the launch of iTunes 5, here's iTunes 6. Surely video downloads are the order of the day? Hell yes.

- Here are the big changes: firstly, 'gifting' - you can buy music for other people, who get an email telling them to download. Next: customer reviews - Amazon-style peer reviews of music. Third: Just For You (beta) - a recommendation service, again similar to what Amazon offers.

- and finally... music videos. Currently there are 2000 available to buy. But they're gonna cost $1.99. And Pixar are offering 6 short films, also for $1.99. The price seems a bit high, and didn't get a cheer from the audience. The videos take the space of six songs (so about 20MB) and have the same rights management as music tracks.

AND ONE MORE THING...
You'll be able to buy TV shows from the iTunes Music Store - Desperate Housewives, Lost and more shows from ABC and Disney. Five shows will be available to watch on iPod or computer: Lost, Desperate Housewives, Nightstalker, The Suite Life and some other Disney thang. $1.99 an episode.[/size]

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
So given time diff etc, will you americans find out the news (if any) 1st, or Europeans?

What? Events are taking place in San Jose, USA therefore no matter what americans will find out first, as this is where the information originates.

We, the rest of the world will find out seconds later
rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 260
Except for the invited media, most are gonna find out online no matter where they live.

Out of coursity who on Head-Fi knew the day before the nano was released it was comin'?

BTW, you can wager on the announcement if you want.

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

I didn't but I read about it, that the night before the nano was release word got out. Ilounge rumor forums had the info the night of.

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 260
So blessingX is it or isn't going to be the video ipod. I could live to reget this but with the hype around this, there is going to be video. The other signs are there is a competitor releasing a portable video unit coming from Dish. I didn't read all the details but they just released there portable unit.

So mostly because of the hype and the store haven't been updated which was the case with nano. I am thinking there is video.

Final answer.... Video Ipod 5th Gen.
guessing with some sleek name.

Oct 11, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 260
Doubt it's going to be a Video iPod, but it might be the iPod video.
wink.gif

Gut feeling is there will be no iPod video because of contracts that likely haven't been worked out with content providers (or likely would have leaked by now - possible BBC excepted), but who knows. My iPod mini expectations were over-extended, my iPod nano were under-extended. I'm not even sure there's a proven video market really... yet. Apple though has certainly taken relatively large leaps (including MacIntel) lately. As much as their iPod feature set hasn't expanded greatly (to the chagrin of some of us), their revision schedule isn't exactly slacking. What the means to video I'm not sure.

Oct 11, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
hmm cant wait and i dont even like ipods

I know how ya feel!
biggrin.gif

And If I hear any one bragging about EQ on their Ipod and Hyping it as an exclusive feature, I will slap the brains out of their heads.
evil_smiley.gif

Welcome to 2001 Apple

Oct 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
The BBC report wasn't with an iPod, but with a properitary video player made in Italy. It was thus retracted to protect BBC's legitmacy.

I guess my issue is, if there wasn't going to be a big event related to ipod they would have down played it. I dont really fair, I much refer a better portiplayer chip and most importantly a improved Wolf DAC. I am not even sure Wolf has a new DAC though. But the one in the photo ipod is the same one used in the 3 gen ipod. So I would think it was time for something new in the DAC department.

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 260
Looks like this is turning into a final predictions thread and seeing who's the most right or wrong. So here are my guesses:

-5G iPod. 40GB and 80GB for $399/$499. I don't know if they could replace the current iPod with color screen and price it at $299. It'll be called iPod with video, and all it will do at the moment is play music videos from iTunes. I doubt they'll really distinguish the new iPod for it's video capability and call it Video iPod or iPod video, because they tried that with the iPod photo and it didn't do that well as a a product separate from the 4G iPod. It will feature a wider screen with higher resolution to match the dpi of the iPod nano's screen. It'll be smaller too, so the click wheel will be smaller and of course be completely flat like the nano. It'll basically look like the nano, or in other words much nicer like the 1G and 2G iPods, no more outdated rounded corners. It'll use some newer PortalPlayer chip, one of the ones that were touted to have greatly reduced power consumption like that used in the 2G iPod mini. Thus, you can expect 24 hour battery life.

- iTunes Media Store. iTunes will sell music (AAC), music videos, and TV shows (H.264). Video podcasts too. TV shows will be $2-3 per episode and will be available for download after the show airs on TV, or within 24 hours at least. TV shows can be watched over and over, but cannot be burned. I don't know about playback on the iPod video, but it seems like it would hurt battery life too much, and I don't know if the iPod's processor is that powerful.

- Video Airport. Video playback on TVs using an updated Video Airport Express. Decoding will be done on the computer still, so the device should be relatively cheap, possibly cheap enough to replace the expensive $129 Airport Express.

- If one is really optimistic, Apple will introduce the xMac to replace the eMac, a G5 Mac without a LCD for $799 and $899.

tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

That's really, really sad... looking at some of the things people bet on...

I seriously hope Apple comes out with a player that has better SQ and an actual EQ. I don't care much about video playback (Unless that screen's bigger than 3 inches, which I doubt it would be, it's way too painful to watch for long periods of time).

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 260
no video iPod yet,

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12b.html
Quote:

While a video-capable iPod is in development, without the agreements nor infrastructure in place to deliver movies to customers through a store-like interface, Apple sees little value in releasing such an iPod at this time.

more gigs for the same amount of money, 40 and 80 gigs
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12c.html
Quote:

Two new iPod configurations, each available in two colors, will debut at Apple's media event on Wednesday, sources have told Think Secret. The new models will be priced exactly the same as the ones they replace, at $299 and $399.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back