5th Danish national Head-Fi meet - 3rd October 2009
Oct 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well headaudio.dk were there and HiFiFreaks.dk were supposed to have been there as well as the whole Jays range had Claus not been ill (and you kind of sort of a little bit representing Sennheiser). But yes you are right in that the intention is not for it to be a vendor driven fair but a freaks driven meet where some vendors of special interest to the head-fi community have a chance to show off some stuff.

Agree - very well put. I think it is key to future meets that we keep this as unpolitical and informally as possible - but still welcoming business if they are interesting to the members. HiFi-business has enough intrigues and "dishonest" competition between different brands. And even in our small part of the world these things could destroy the good spirit in our community very fast.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey krmathis, hope we meet sometimes. It was close both in Stockholm and Copenhagen. I hope my short impressions can compensate somewhat for missing the meet, but of course very faint compared to reality.

Yeah, I understood that we almost met in Stockholm. But that you only had a day trip Friday, while I turned up Friday evening and stayed until Sunday.
Next time maybe?
wink.gif

Thanks for the impressions. They compensate somewhat...
Seems like you had a nice time, so clearly missed out of something.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Well headaudio.dk were there and HiFiFreaks.dk were supposed to have been there as well as the whole Jays range had Claus not been ill (and you kind of sort of a little bit representing Sennheiser). But yes you are right in that the intention is not for it to be a vendor driven fair but a freaks driven meet where some vendors of special interest to the head-fi community have a chance to show off some stuff.

Cool - don't get me wrong I can see if I'm in the crosshairs my self but I just specifically asked not to get the PR package and stuff for this as it was more me wanting to show you if you liked that sorta of thing - hoping to see some of the stuff I wanted from others than wanting to PR some stuff on you..

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Lawton Audio had graciously sent a balanced Adrenalin for HD800 to the meet, burned-in by one of the participants before the meeting. And upgrade cables for HD800 is of great interest to me just now. When first listening to the HD800 /GS-X I didn't think much about the cable but noticed that it sounded better than what is usual with my Headroom Balanced Max. We swapped to the stock cable and it was clear to me that Adrenaline improved over the stock cable. With the stock cable the usual treble character of HD800 with stock cable returned. It is subtle but there is some unnaturalness, it is not harsh, not even especially bright but something I can't find a good description for. Smoothness and dynamics also improved with Adrenaline. I had no great exception on Adrenaline and a previous cable comparison showed less difference. Of course, it was a short listening to Adrenaline but I felt convinced that it improves on the stock cable in in important way. Finally, I don't like the looks of the cable and definitively not the price. But tempting it is.

Why not DIYing an identical one for a fraction of the selling price
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool - don't get me wrong I can see if I'm in the crosshairs my self but I just specifically asked not to get the PR package and stuff for this as it was more me wanting to show you if you liked that sorta of thing - hoping to see some of the stuff I wanted from others than wanting to PR some stuff on you..

I think that it was great to have you present all the Sennheiser gear! And being able to open the boxes and listen to all the gear was absolutely excellent. I do not mind having more "Vendors" like that - as long as the general spirit of the meet is free and non-commercial then I hope for more of that in the future
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I don't know if markl's cable contains some tricks other than just the sum of the materials or if markl's materials are generally available to the public (he could have a custom spec wire that you can't buy). Anyway markl and others sell the HD800 connectors so that you can do exactly that.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #22 of 32
Sounds and looks like a great meet with really good gear! Looking forward to more impressions.

Btw, were the somewhat bad impressions of the PS1000 shared by everybody there? Feels strange that they would be so uncontrolled as they otherwise are regarded as a more balanced take on the GS1000?

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds and looks like a great meet with really good gear! Looking forward to more impressions.

Btw, were the somewhat bad impressions of the PS1000 shared by everybody there? Feels strange that they would be so uncontrolled as they otherwise are regarded as a more balanced take on the GS1000?

Might have something to do with all the HD800 present - compared to that it might sound a tiny bit uncontrolled - dunno. As I remember it I would not consider giving that much for it personally but it was a good HP in its way and had its different sound way compared to other Grado's but somewhat like HF2.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

wink.gif

Some people like to make this question, and say nothing more. It would be more helpful if you elaborate on the availability and cost of material, how easy it is to solder a HD800 connector (not the easiest) and so on.

Then of course, I regard it as somewhat questionable to listen to a cable a manufacturer has sent overseas for audition and then just copy it.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Several had that same very dissapointing impression of the PS-1000 using them from several amps and with different kinds of music, I personally didn't find a single combination where I even remotely liked the sound (and I have owned and liked the GS-1000). What I don't know about them is whether they were properly burned in or straight out of shrink wrap (had such a thing existed).

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

I don't know if markl's cable contains some tricks other than just the sum of the materials or if markl's materials are generally available to the public (he could have a custom spec wire that you can't buy). Anyway markl and others sell the HD800 connectors so that you can do exactly that.

Tricks? In a cable? What tricks? A cable is a cable. And markl uses some Jena Labs wire, he specified exactly what sort of wire... a wire that's available to everybody, I looked on Jena Labs site some time ago.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Some people like to make this question, and say nothing more. It would be more helpful if you elaborate on the availability and cost of material, how easy it is to solder a HD800 connector (not the easiest) and so on.

Then of course, I regard it as somewhat questionable to listen to a cable a manufacturer has sent overseas for audition and then just copy it.

Sure, I checked some time ago the Jena Labs site, the wire used by Lawton Audio is there. The pricing as well. I calculated and the result was like 200 USD or so maximum for the entire cable (for the 10 feet one). Something like that, anyway.

As for copying a cable... hey, it's not rocket science to build a cable. Not much R&D involved :wink: => no conscience issues with that. Moreover, the manufacturer didn't "send it overseas" for nothing, but just to get some praises and some new customers for his product. Good business practice.

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Sure, I checked some time ago the Jena Labs site, the wire used by Lawton Audio is there. The pricing as well. I calculated and the result was like 200 USD or so maximum for the entire cable (for the 10 feet one). Something like that, anyway.

I also get it to $200 for the wire (40 meters of Jena wire for a 10 feet cable). Then you have $80 for the headphone connectors, $100 - 150 for the Furutech XLRs, then the Quable splitters, some techflex and finally overseas shipping costs for a number of suppliers where you buy the parts.

Of course, it is possible to make a cheaper cable but then it is not an identical one. And of course there may be other alternatives that are as good or better and cost less. But who knows?

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might have something to do with all the HD800 present - compared to that it might sound a tiny bit uncontrolled - dunno. As I remember it I would not consider giving that much for it personally but it was a good HP in its way and had its different sound way compared to other Grado's but somewhat like HF2.

Quote:

Several had that same very dissapointing impression of the PS-1000 using them from several amps and with different kinds of music, I personally didn't find a single combination where I even remotely liked the sound (and I have owned and liked the GS-1000). What I don't know about them is whether they were properly burned in or straight out of shrink wrap (had such a thing existed).

Thank you for your thoughts on the PS1000, and especially the fact that you have owned and liked the GS1000 nc. I'm thinking that a lot of the negative impressions comes from people who don't like the GS1000, a phone that seem to divide many peoples opinions. At least now I know that I shouldn't buy them without demo.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Thank you for your thoughts on the PS1000, and especially the fact that you have owned and liked the GS1000 nc. I'm thinking that a lot of the negative impressions comes from people who don't like the GS1000, a phone that seem to divide many peoples opinions. At least now I know that I shouldn't buy them without demo.

I was also at the meet, I liked the HF2 better, both sound but especially comfort. The PS1000 is almost too heavy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back