5th Calgary meeting: January 2012
Jan 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #31 of 67
Hey everyone, only a few days left, so pumped! Just want to say stay safe this week, its very cold, and driving sucks. Don't want to see anyone in casts at the meet from a car crash 
redface.gif
 Se ya on sat!!!

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 67
Very cold is an understatement! Tomorrow with windchill will feel like -40!

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #34 of 67
Walking from the Arts Parkade to scurfield is cold enough. Can't imagine mcmahon to uni

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #36 of 67
I pay $8 a day for parking though =(
Your pass is cheaper

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 67
First meet I've been to and i have to say it was an incredible experience. Thanks Alphones and everyone that came!

I am missing a short wire adapter - 1/4 to mini. It's a cable that comes with the HD650. If anyone see it, drop me a pm. 

Not a lot (too busy absorbing the sounds), but here's some pics of gears to reminisce with, I sure will!
beyersmile.png
k701smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #39 of 67
Hi everyone,

It was great to see all of you there and I would especially like to thank Kurt from the Audioroom, Barry for supplying some great music and Audeze for giving us a chance to sample the LCD 3.  Here are some pictures from the meet.

Thanks for coming.  Post your impressions of any of the gear that you heard during the meet.

Cheers,
Alphones

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #40 of 67
Loved it yet again. Great group of people, and amazing head-fi, all in one location! Now just time to start filling the piggy bank again.... 

And thanks to everyone who came out, and to Alphones and the Audio Room, as well as the companies that were represented there. Great pictures too, love em! 

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #41 of 67

Quote:
Loved it yet again. Great group of people, and amazing head-fi, all in one location! Now just time to start filling the piggy bank again.... 

And thanks to everyone who came out, and to Alphones and the Audio Room, as well as the companies that were represented there. Great pictures too, love em! 

X2, Well I have decided that I need to look at some stax, and some hd800's and some Audeze's..... Oh boy 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #44 of 67
First of all, thanks to alphones, the audio room, and anyone else involved with organizing the meet. Of course thanks to Audeze as well for sending us the LCD 3 to have at the meet.

Just a few impressions of gear I tried at the meet:

LCD 3/2
The LCD 3 comparative to the LCD 2(rev-1 I believe), my impression is the low end bass has better accuracy, highs were stronger and more noticeable, sound stage was slightly better (3d ish). Not sure how much burn in time the LCD 3 had prior to the meet. alphones mentioned they were fairly new. Definitely improvement over the LCD 2, however not sure if I would spend 2x the price over the LCD 2 for the LCD 3.

HD 800
Overall, very nice sounding headphones. This is probably one of my favorites cans at the moment. The mid's and high's are very smooth. Bass is slightly light but accurate. Sounded very good matched with Jeff Graw's Grace 903 amp.

Audio Space Mini Galaxy 1
The adjustable negative feedback is fairly interesting. What did everyone else think of this amp/DAC? I barely remember trying this amp/dac at the meet. Might have to stop by The Audio room again to try it out. Read the 6moons review the other day. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiospace2/minigalaxy.html

Grado(modded)
I was very impressed with the custom work alphones did on his SR60i's. Definitely lots of time and effort put into customizing those cans.

I liked Jeff Graw's modded HF1's as well. Very comfortable with the Beyerdynamic ear pads.

HiFiMan HE-6
I left when the HE-6 showed up. What did everyone think of this headphone? How did it compare to the LCD 2, LCD 3, and HD 800?

Overall, lots of cool gear at the meet. It was nice trying out different gear and talking to everyone there!

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #45 of 67
I was really impressed with the LCD3s at the meet, so much that I bought one. After spending 2 days with it, I feel less impressed with them. Maybe because they haven't been burned in yet. Maybe i need better amplification, balanced amplification at the meet sounded VERY nice. I don't know. To me, my Rev 2s sounds more detailed. The bass of the LCD3s extended deeper and hits harder, but I think rev2s are tighter. Compared to my HD800s, they sound even less detailed.
I'm going to burn them in more, listen more, and maybe do the TP mod. I'll report back with my findings
smily_headphones1.gif

The Mini Galaxy 1 to me, sounded very nice with the HD800s, but not so much with the Audeze headphones, especially the LCD3. Maybe too warm? The LCD3s are already very smooth and thick sounding, so i'm guessing it's not a good match with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back