5G IMOD CABLES CAN USE WITH NONE IMOD IPODS....
May 22, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
I emailed KEN(ALO)and asked him this question" Can i use your 5G Imod cable with none imod ipod?".
Here is his answer: "I am surprised more people have not asked this question, the answer is yes. In fact it works just as good as a non imod enabled cable". Thanks Ken
It's good news for me
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 10
That is good news. Thanks for the info. -CK

May 22, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question isn't can you, it's why would you? Because you like the sound of electrolytic caps?

Yeah I'm a little confused. Since the iMod enabled cable is required for the iMod I don't imagine they would often be split up when re-sold, so the ability to hold onto one and use it for stock iPods doesn't seem like an issue. Perhaps if you intended to use an ALO dock for a regular iPod for a while before making the jump to Mod this would be useful.

May 23, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm a little confused. Since the iMod enabled cable is required for the iMod I don't imagine they would often be split up when re-sold, so the ability to hold onto one and use it for stock iPods doesn't seem like an issue. Perhaps if you intended to use an ALO dock for a regular iPod for a while before making the jump to Mod this would be useful.

I think that if a person doesn't have a lineout cable, and they think they will eventually get the imod, then the imod cable is the ideal choice. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

May 23, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed KEN(ALO)and asked him this question" Can i use your 5G Imod cable with none imod ipod?".
Here is his answer: "I am surprised more people have not asked this question, the answer is yes. In fact it works just as good as a non imod enabled cable". Thanks Ken
It's good news for me
biggrin.gif

Hey All,

I just want to clarify just to be sure there is no confusion. The question was asked to me will a Video iMod enabled cable “work” with a regular non-imodded ipod? And my answer is yes insofar as you can use it like a non-imod enabled cable (no caps) and you can listen to music. Of course you are not gaining the benefits of an imod and there is no sound improvements with out the modded end of the equation, ie a modified ipod from Vinnie at Red Wine Audio.

So yes, if you were thinking of sending your ipod to Vinnie for modding at a later date and wanted to use the imod cable in the mean time on a non modded ipod you can.

If anyone is confused or have any questions or concerns please PM me.

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 10
The iMod cable should ideally be used with the iMod. It'll work in stock units but having another set of caps in signal path will cause a drop in audio quality. On a related note, if your amps have input signal coupling caps, you shouldn't need caps in cable at all.

May 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's precisely the dilemma that I am currently debating with myself. I just bought a Hornet and I didn't want to buy an ALO dock cable but then get the iMod later and be forced to buy another cable for that...

Buying the iMod dock cable for my un-modded iPod might just be the route that I will be taking, then. Thanks for clearing it up!

May 23, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iMod cable should ideally be used with the iMod. It'll work in stock units but having another set of caps in signal path will cause a drop in audio quality. On a related note, if your amps have input signal coupling caps, you shouldn't need caps in cable at all.

In other words the 5g iMod would work without a special cable if the amp was properly configured? Right!

Then the question to answer is which amps work this way? Especially portable amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back