595s and bass
Aug 16, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #31 of 35
HD595's because of their impedance characteristic increase on bass when driven from a high output impedance source. That's why tube amps make them sound dark and filled with deep bass. Output tubes have low transconductance which especially in OTL amps turns into high output impedance. For most SS amps where otuput impedance is in range between 0 and 10 ohms normally, the HD595's respond as they show up on HeadRoom bandwidth characteristics. To increase the bass, simply add 75 ohm metal film resistor in series with each channel between the amp and the 50 ohm HD595 headphones. For 120 ohm version use 180 ohm resistors. That's all, or buy a tube amp for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #32 of 35
I second the tube amp! Just got a Xiang Sheng 708b and it really brings out the best in the HD595. Fuller sound, more impactful, deeper bass and tames the slightly grainy mids that the HD595 can suffer from quite nicely!

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #34 of 35
X3 the tube amp idea... I notice the effects mentioned by Agnostic using SOHAs I've built. The slight warming of the sound also helps counter graininess creeping into sub-par rips, but retains near-SS sound quality otherwise.
For me tho, high-priced commercial tube headamps were out of the question hence the SOHA. If you are patient, you may be able to find them for < $150 or so in the Marketplace if you aren't a builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back