$550-600 for an amp for the HD650? (Maybe DT880)
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

avo345

New Head-Fier
Well, as the topic says, I'm looking to settle on an amp for a pair of HD650s that I am buying.

Currently, my top choice is the WA6. Unfortunately, I missed out on both that were sold in the forums here recently
wink.gif
. In any case, since I have a few more days to make up my mind, I'm trying to explore other options. I have no problem buying used, as long as I'm getting something that's in good shape.

So, to sum this up, give me options!

Thanks,
Avo

-The question about the beyerdynamics is on the second page.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 34
Actually, the DV amps have been sitting in my mind as well. I've been going back and forth b/w the Woo and the DV amps. Are there any other tube amp options in this price range?

More importantly, are there any SS amps in this range that go well with the Sennheisers?

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by avo345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the DV amps have been sitting in my mind as well. I've been going back and forth b/w the Woo and the DV amps. Are there any other tube amp options in this price range?

More importantly, are there any SS amps in this range that go well with the Sennheisers?

Without question, if you can get a WooAudio amp over a DV, do it. They are so much better built it's not funny. The DV is really just another glorified Chinese design with poor build quality. If you set a Woo next to a DV, you would instantly see and feel the difference in quality alone.

The WooAudio 3 and 3+ are both a fantastic match with the HD650 and get even better with quality tubes.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Well, as the topic says, I'm looking to settle on an amp for a pair of HD650s that I am buying.

Currently, my top choice is the WA6. Unfortunately, I missed out on both that were sold in the forums here recently
wink.gif
. In any case, since I have a few more days to make up my mind, I'm trying to explore other options. I have no problem buying used, as long as I'm getting something that's in good shape.

So, to sum this up, give me options!

Thanks,
Avo

I know you said $550-$600, but don't discount a cheaper amp. The Caliente has gotten a lot of nice reviews.
It's the amp I plan on getting after doing a lot of reading.
Here's a review.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...43/index5.html

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 34
I've been using a Woo WA6 driving HD650's for several months now and I'm very happy with my choice. Since it's made in the USA, service, if ever needed, is quick and easy. The sound quality is stunning.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 34
I can confirm that the KICAS Caliente is indeed a very nice amp to use with the HD650's. At $400, its also below your price point.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 34
So how does the KICAS caliente compare to the WA6?

By that, I mean...if I save the money, am I losing a bit of quality there, or is it simply a different design at a different price point that doesn't necessarily sound better or worse?

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 34
I've never heard a Woo amp but my Caliente certainly takes the cake over my old LD MK IV (stock tubes). Its good middle ground between tubes and SS. It has SS detail but is warmer than most the SS amps I've heard. If you're looking for tube warmth but don't want to sacrifice the full detail for it nor need that much warmth, the Caliente is a good choice.

The only thing is that it lacks a power a little. On occasion the volume knob has to be turned to 1 to 2 o clock for my comfortable listening volume.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

So how does the KICAS caliente compare to the WA6?

By that, I mean...if I save the money, am I losing a bit of quality there, or is it simply a different design at a different price point that doesn't necessarily sound better or worse?

I'm a headphone newb, I don't even have an amp yet and my Hd-650's are still in the mail, but based on what I have read, with the amps in that price range, that are recommended, I doubt it's a matter of quality. They are all good quality. The differences between them are most likely going to be subtle, are only heard with experience listening to different amps, and also up to personal taste. If you read that thread I linked, skylab said the caliente is very good for the money. I would focus on reading the reviews and thinking about how the sound is described for each amp, and then relate that to what you think you will enjoy. Hopefully you can find a reviewer that listened to a particular amp with the Hd-650's, because different amps match better with different headphones. I'm getting the caliente because it will be my first headphone amp, I know it matches well with the HD-650, and I want to learn how to listen and appreciate the subtle differences in sound before I jump in and shell out lots of money for something that I might not even appreciate. If I were to go out and buy a more expensive amp right now, I wouldn't appreciate it because I would not be able to quantify it's subtle improvements over the $300 one. Who knows, I might even be happy with the $300. That's just how I see it, based on what I have read. I wish I had heard a lot of amps so I could give better advice, but I'm still new to this.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 34
I suppose there's a certain amount of truth to that. I also have limited experience with headphones, but I've spent all my life around speakers, which is why I'm becoming so nitpicky about an introductory system.

A quick question...

How's the Rudistor NX-03?

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 34
You budget is high enough to avoid buying a Chinese amp. I say buy the most expensive Woo amp you can afford. Also don't be led astray on getting a SS amp. The high impedance cans are a good match for a tube amp and wait till you start tube rolling, that is so much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back