$550-600 for an amp for the HD650? (Maybe DT880)
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 34
Hmm, ok, so tubes it is.

On an altogether unrelated note, I heard the DT880s were recently updated. This is making me rethink an HD650 now :p. I'm fickle, what can I say
wink.gif
?

I'm still heavily leaning towards the Sennheisers, but IF I were to go with the Beyerdynamics, what are some choices in this same price range? Are tubes still a solid choice or do they favor SS?

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 34
Stock DT880's are 250 ohm so yes they are similar to the 650's in that they will benefit from tubes. Generally the 880 is not as warm or natural sounding as the 650, I think you are on the right path with the 650. One nice thing about tubes is you can make dramatic changes in the way the amp sounds by trying different tubes.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #18 of 34
Thanks for the quick response.

OK, so I suppose my initial choices are what I'll stick with; I'll be ordering a Woo amp soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the help folks!

If anyone has anything else to add, feel free

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 34
I've only heard a Darkvoice 336i and a Woo 6SE. The Woo does sound amazing. The Darkvoice does alot right imo and the build quality is not bad, the Woo is just build like a tank.

Since i'm tired of sending so many dollars to China, I'll recommend the Woo6 over the Darkvoice. Both will will sound very good but in case you ever need customer support, you don't want to get hit with a $80 freight bill.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 34
Is there a reason no one mentioned an LD?

i seem to remember reading that they went well with the HD650's

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #22 of 34
I think it's mostly because the Woo amps are better for tubes, the Caliente is better around the same price range, and because several people tried to avoid Chinese amps.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #23 of 34
I've owned Little Dot amps. Needless to say, I will never buy a Chinese amp again. Woo all the way
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot is great if your on a tight budget but if you have 5 or 6 hundred to spend then absolutely get a Woo.

Not that the Little Dot's don't sound good. They're poorly engineered if you ask me. The Woo's on the other hand are works of art, built like tanks, and will last a lifetime. Oh yes, they sound amazing.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #26 of 34
Not too hard on the eyes either, one thing I dont get is why no one ever buy them in something besides silver??? Blue? Red? Black? Black looks so nice with the tubes glowing. Always makes me shake my head. Sorry in advance to anyone with a silver Woo.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 34
Because I love silver
smily_headphones1.gif
It's more like a silver/gray color

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #28 of 34
I just sold my WA6 (because tubes aren't really my thing, and especially not for the Ed 9s)

But, if I revisited them (and I may, when budget allows), I'd go straight for the EF1 - the new champion of entry level tube amp. At $400, it's pushing it for most peoples budgets... and they are too new for there to be any used ones popping up yet.

It walks all over the Darkvoice 336i, in every way. That's a promise.

It's so close to the WA6 that I wouldn't bother with the WA6 - that bang for buck now finishes at the EF1, imo.

But, it's quite likely that I would still prefer the Soha II with some 650s. I'm telling you - they sound amazing together. And the price you could have one built for you at is gonna come in lower than any of the other options being thrown at you.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #30 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back