$50ish headphones?
Oct 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

audio technica

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've currently got some sony mdr-xd200s and I feel like I deserve an upgrade.  My budget is $50 and I have no idea how headphones in that price range compare to my xd200s and how much better they would really be.  Truth be told, I'm not really eager to spend tons of money on some 'phones but I'm really wondering what's out there that is better than my current ones.

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD515s -- are they any good?  Are there better ones in that sort of price range?

EDIT: Also, I mostly listen to bassy music (dubstep, hyperdub, etc etc)

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Hello,

I've currently got some sony mdr-xd200s and I feel like I deserve an upgrade.  My budget is $50 and I have no idea how headphones in that price range compare to my xd200s and how much better they would really be.  Truth be told, I'm not really eager to spend tons of money on some 'phones but I'm really wondering what's out there that is better than my current ones.

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD515s -- are they any good?  Are there better ones in that sort of price range?

EDIT: Also, I mostly listen to bassy music (dubstep, hyperdub, etc etc)

Thanks in advance.

Heya,

Oh this one will be easy:

Panasonic HTF600 with Velour Pads.

Done.

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the link and all....

But why those ones?  What makes em good?  And you're sure sennheisers or akgs wouldn't be better?
EDIT: reading your review right now

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Heya,

Oh this one will be easy:

Panasonic HTF600 with Velour Pads.

Done.

Very best,

I just picked up a pair of these for travel(based on the review done by MalVeuX) and I must say for the money they sound great. I use them amped with my BitHead off my I phone and they are a great budget set. They are very balanced for the price

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I just picked up a pair of these for travel(based on the review done by MalVeuX) and I must say for the money they sound great. I use them amped with my BitHead off my I phone and they are a great budget set. They are very balanced for the price 

Glad you like those..They sound better with some Burn in. Throw some bass heavy music on them for around 24 hours straight and the Drivers open up. Then take a listen.. To fully loosen the drivers on these I say a good 40-50 hour burn in.. Then you will have a proper HTF600.. Now you see why these are catching fire around here. Astounding for the price actually.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 12
How good is the pleather that comes with it -- is it really worth forking out an extra $20 just for some velour pads?  With these mdr-xd200s, they fit perfectly (literally!) and the pleather feels rather comfy.

Anyways, I did order the htf600s this morning and for $30 w/free shipping; they'll be here saturday.  :D  I can't wait!
To be honest, I absolutely love my xd200s, which do great at producing mids -- but that seems to be about it.  They also don't seem to have much of a "soundstage" (or whatever you call it).  How much of an upgrade are the htf600s based on this?  Anyone also have some xd200s to compare them to?

Sorry about all the questions!

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Well it is not a 100% necessity with the velours. They just make an already quality headphone much more quality. The velours make these headphones feel like you have pillows on your head. They do balance out the sound a tad as well.. I would try them without first as you can always order some velours for later if you are curious. As per the sound. Hmm Well lets just say you are most definitely getting an upgrade in your sound.. I have no way of judging your Xd200s as I don't own them but I can tell you how these sound over the ones I have..

Lets see. Over my Audio Technica M50s. The highs on the M50 are artificial sounding. The HTF600 has fuller/ better mids, proper highs as well... Bass there is no comparison. The Bass on the HTF600 is astounding. Smoother warmer sound vs the cold recessed mids sound of the M50 with small stage.   Against my Sony XZ700. Boring in every way compared to the HTF600. The balance on the zx700 is commendable as nothing sticks out or is special on them. Making them sound boring imo.  The shure SRH440.. Smoother than the HTF600 but the Bass on the HTF600 blast the Shures a new one also making them sound stale in comparison.. The sub bass and impact on the HTF600 is special..  They don't sound anything remotely like a budget can.. If I put a price on how they sound. They easily sound $150- $200 phone. And are comparable to the phones that are actually that price as well..

Burn these in for a good 24 hour period before you guys take a serious listen. Burn em in for around 40- 50 for a full version of the HTF600..The phones I mentioned are just a few these step on. I have guys on my thread that prefer these over their Dre beats pros.. $400 phone.. Dre studios $300.. HD650 $350.. Try them out. There is a reason why these are gaining in popularity. They are everything I have described for the cost of a cheap dinner.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 12
****!  I've owned these things for an hour and they're completely awesome!!!  The highs and mids are so crisp, and the bass sort of punches you in the gut -- they look (and feel) expensive too.  I haven't yet ordered the velours, and the pleather isn't too bad -- however, it does sort of feel like its squeezing on my head, so I will likely order the velours next week.

Comparing these to my sony mdr-xd200s is like comparing HDMI to analog video....  Speaking of which I have yet to watch movies with these baddies.  :D

Thanks a million (or maybe a good $150 that would have been spent on sennheisers or akgs) for telling me about these -- I would have never gotten em otherwise.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
****!  I've owned these things for an hour and they're completely awesome!!!  The highs and mids are so crisp, and the bass sort of punches you in the gut -- they look (and feel) expensive too.  I haven't yet ordered the velours, and the pleather isn't too bad -- however, it does sort of feel like its squeezing on my head, so I will likely order the velours next week.

Comparing these to my sony mdr-xd200s is like comparing HDMI to analog video....  Speaking of which I have yet to watch movies with these baddies.  :D

Thanks a million (or maybe a good $150 that would have been spent on sennheisers or akgs) for telling me about these -- I would have never gotten em otherwise.

OH man have you burned them in yet? if not wait till you blast some music through them for 24hours. After that take a good listen you will be likeYou think the bass is good now. Wait till you fully loosen them drivers.. I would say 40hours for full burn in.. Enjoy them HTF600s.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Is it possible to mod these drivers into other cans?  :p  They're just that good.

I would think they'd fit beyerdynamics stuff, since they use the same pads.

*thanks Dsnuts profusely for mentioning these before I bought hd515s*

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Is it possible to mod these drivers into other cans?  :p  They're just that good.

I would think they'd fit beyerdynamics stuff, since they use the same pads.

*thanks Dsnuts profusely for mentioning these before I bought hd515s*

Well the thought of a fully Woodied HTF600 is something I have been pondering. I am getting a 2nd one just to mod. If you look at my thread. Another headfier by the name of RPGwizard. Resident bass head and XB500 fan club. Got these as he has done a mod already.. I like to call it the RPGmod. It supposed to increase the bass and forwards the mids with a tad more stage. You can look it up but I would just enjoy your tunes.I love the stock warmth and musicality of the phones it is astonishing for the price no? If anything I would get the velours. It brings out the highs and keeps the mids and bass intact. Plus the unbelievable comfort.. I actually prefer the velour sounds now. But I like to throw the orgional back on for the nasty bass. You notice it rumbles your ears. haha. Thats good stuff right there.  Check out the mod on my thread if you are interested.. Glad you like them.

Try this. let a close friend hear those and then ask them to guess how much they cost. Like your best bass track.. They will poo poo and guess $100- $200.. You will get a good laugh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back