50ft "radio shack" mini to rca cable
Aug 25, 2005 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
Would a cable this length plus low build quality make a an amplifier sound like crap? I bought it because I couldnt wait to get cables made and I wanted to hear it, but it sounds awful. Now before I go investing $100+ in cables, was it the radio shack cable making the amp sound like crap? Or the amp? (its a pocket reference max v2 coming out of a sony ne10 pcdp).

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 7
There are lots of things that can go wrong with cable runs that long. You're better off at that distance either going digital or balanced. At the very least, you'll want to run a starquad configuration or very shielded cables.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Running 50ft of any unbalanced interconnect is going to degrade the sound. 30ft is pushing the limits of what you can do cleanly with most unbalanced interconnects, even when the cable is being driven by a source with a low output impedance.

If you truly need to run this much cable, your best bet is to get an interconnect made from cable designed for microphone use, like Canare Star Quad. Even that is a compromise, since microphone cables are often higher in capacitance (Star Quad is) and their highs will start to roll off with a 50ft run.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I dont need it that length, thats just all the store here had. Was just wondering if that length could be the primary reason why the amp sounds bad, because I dont want to go invest in RCA to mini cables (which this is the only amp I have that uses) if the sound isnt going to improve. So far it sounds as if the length is a problem.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
Was just wondering if that length could be the primary reason why the amp sounds bad, because I dont want to go invest in RCA to mini cables (which this is the only amp I have that uses) if the sound isnt going to improve. So far it sounds as if the length is a problem.

Absolutely, this could be the main reason the amp sounds bad.

Aug 25, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 7
please use a better cable. Yes you are bottlenecking your system.
I wouldnt be surprised if you were hitting the amp with a lot of resistance also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back