500$ to spend, what headphones
May 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #16 of 50
Wow these forum have so much information

Anyways after doing some more researching, I've figured some things out.

I will be using this as a PC setup. For a DAC/Amp I will be using a Compass (Probably will order Earth, Sun, and Moon op-amps along with the power cable)

As for headphones, I really think I need to search more. So far my choices are Denon d5000's, HF2, HD650/600, probably 650.

any recommendations for something to go with a Compass in my price range (300-500)?

May 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 50
mbd2884, it's correct to point out that no one commenting here has heard the HF2. As for assuming all those recommending it are leading on newbies, are not considering historical experience, order opportunities & return policies and especially are Grado fanboys... well dude you're blowing it. I'd suggest since you're so quick to jump to calling on others to "do their research," you at least read the quite obvious signatures and profile listings before writing off recommendations with the "fanboy" label.

OP, consider everyones comments, but I wouldn't put much weight on the name-calling on dismissing others opinions.

May 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

should just go read cnet's best recommendation or something.

Realllyyyy don't think that's going to help. They don't review enough brands of headphones to be an accurate source of advice.

May 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #21 of 50
HF-2!

May 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd keep researching. And for those recommending the HF-2, that's just terrible. He stated he's a noob to headphones and just leading him on.

OP. I'll make it clear. NO ONE HERE WHO RECOMMENDED THE HF-2 KNOWS WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE. THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY EVEN LOOK LIKE. THEY KNOW NOTHING! It's just speculation. And more than likely they are Grado fan boys who will buy anything Grado anounces, actually they are. They pre-ordered a product they know absolutely nothing about, except that it costs more than $400 from Todd, who sells EVERYTHING at MSRP. You want to buy headphones at the maximum, most expensive price on the market? Buy from Todd. I'm not a Grado fan, but dont' look at it as saying don't buy this. Just saying, there is no information right now about it. Don't just buy something on the words of a few fan boys. Do your research on a headphone that will fit your needs.

I'd recommend figuring out what environment where you will be listening to headphones the most. At school, in public, or in privacy of your home. Do you need something portable or just sit down. Need something that will keep sound out or sound coming out of your headphone important? What type of music you listen to.

There are also a few FAQs and informational threads here, read them. Read the one that has a dictionary of the various terms used here for headphone reviews, gives you an idea of what the author is trying to say. Also just read a lot of threads. That way you will figure out who has similar interests as you and who's impressions and advice you can trust. Remember this is Head-Fi, it's full of fanboys, me included, and it's all subjective reviews. Almost nothing here is objective.

Other recommendation, just disregard and ignore a lot of posts here unless the post is made by someone with actual experience. If you ask about the HD600 headphone, don't listen to me. I don't have the HD600 nor do I have experience with them. Only trust the opinions of those you are sure that have experience with the headphones you are interested in. Be sure to buy what will make you happy, not let people convince you what they think you should like.

Have fun, good luck.

Todd tends to think highly of the F2.. 'baby' PS1000.

May 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I ordered an HD650

The denons are not in stock at J&R

That's a shame since one can is borderline worthless and the other can is Stellar.

May 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow these forum have so much information

Anyways after doing some more researching, I've figured some things out.

I will be using this as a PC setup. For a DAC/Amp I will be using a Compass (Probably will order Earth, Sun, and Moon op-amps along with the power cable)

As for headphones, I really think I need to search more. So far my choices are Denon d5000's, HF2, HD650/600, probably 650.

any recommendations for something to go with a Compass in my price range (300-500)?

Headphones all sound different and everyone has their own preference. At the price point you're considering, there are many excellent headphones from AKG, Sennheiser, beyerdynamic, Grado, Denon, Audio-Technica, among others. You really need to hear them for yourself and powered properly by a good amp.

If possible, find a way to attend the Can Jam show which is less than 2 weeks away. There you'll get to hear practically everything!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back