$500 for headphones, amp (if needed), and cables
Jan 3, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #31 of 40
Thx!

To further clarify, by body I mean full-sounding. I like airy, in-your-face highs (kinda like what Bose offers, only better, if you know what I mean), and nice, plump, bass. I want something that enhances recordings instead of presenting them as they are...so super-accurate flat response is probably NOT what I'm looking for. I actually prefer if vocals sound full but a bit on the bright side...to make them sound clearer and fuller than they do in real life. Bass can be a little boomy and unclear as long as it doesn't drown out everything else and is impactful but not overly so. I also don't want details in a recording to be presented subtly, which I found the E5s to do...I want t he headphones to do the work for me.

Laid-back, relaxed, veiled...those are qualities I'm trying to avoid. That's why I'm not so sure about the Senns. I also don't want my music to sound two-dimensional...a reason the Grados might not work for me.

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 40
silly otherwise...you mean the 650s aren't doable in this range or that's the obvious choice?

Jan 3, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #36 of 40
I'm going to do a poll.
biggrin.gif
If I'm making too much of this decision, please just ignore me.
tongue.gif
But hey, $500 is a lot of money!

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #37 of 40
Whatever you do, get open headphones (whether sennheiser, beyerdynamic, grado, etc.)

Open headphones in that price range stomp on closed headphones, imo.

It's all about obtaining the sonic signature you desire. Without personal experience, it's difficult to figure that out.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #39 of 40
edit

If I get an amp it must work with CLOSED PHONES - for college (soon). Originally I posted here that open phones were out, but reading how open phones sound so much better, it might be smarter to invest in open phones now and closed later...but an amp that works with both, of course.

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #40 of 40
Honestly, i must say you description matches exactly the cd3ks, afaik, the a900s don't have the treble brought out as much as the cd3ks.

Closed, boomy bass, thats exactly them. I'm sure the A900s are very good but i can only recommend from personal experience, and the cd3ks has to be that. Though Sony does seem to overprice some of its products..

Whatever choice you make, i hope you are happy with them
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back