$500 for headphones, amp (if needed), and cables
Dec 31, 2004 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

justanotheruser

100+ Head-Fier
Any suggestions? Canal-phones are out
wink.gif
as my left ear is still recovering from the trauma it suffered earlier.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 40
prolly senn hd650 and a pimenta or other non portable amp. others will have an idea on that.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 40
Thanks.

FYI - I listen to electronica, pop, rock, and sometimes classical. I'm looking for something with a lot of richness, depth, sparkle, etc. My 7506s really didn't give me that - though they were fine for picking apart mixes. The Shures were also pretty accurate but terribly thin and lifeless - perhaps because of the recessed highs, but I think it was something more.

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 40
I'm pleased with my HD650's and Rega Ear for the most part. Those two would come to around 550. My biggest complaint, I think, is my sound card. Have to wait a couple months before I get paid again to replace my audigy 2.

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
Thanks.

FYI - I listen to electronica, pop, rock, and sometimes classical. I'm looking for something with a lot of richness, depth, sparkle, etc. My 7506s really didn't give me that - though they were fine for picking apart mixes. The Shures were also pretty accurate but terribly thin and lifeless - perhaps because of the recessed highs, but I think it was something more.

I've got the HD 600s and CD3000 and i would define the CD3000 as exactly what you want...search for them. Senns are....a dull sound (or in a kinder word, laid back
wink.gif
) compared to the CD3000.

I'd really recommend them.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 40
The CD3000 has caught my interest...thx much. I'll read up on them before bugging you guys with questions.

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 40
Okay, here's what I found...

CD3000
praise:
great "wow" effect
impressively large sound-stage
ety-like detail
natural
easily driven
comfortable

criticisms:
too bright, sometimes harsh
extremely colored
poor synergy w/ solid state amps
emphasize source weaknesses
bad presentation of vocals, especially female
less bass than the competition
outdated and soon to be replaced

HD650 praise:
"simply the world's best headphone" reputation
refined
smooth and relaxed
nice bass extension

criticisms:
laid back
un-involving
rolled-off highs
require very high-end equipment to see full potential
(I forget the rest)

I'm completely overloaded with information now...I guess if I had to choose a headphone to try out first I'd order the CD3000 based on your recommendation, jtwn. Maybe somebody else can chime in here.

To elaborate, I am looking for something that wows me. I actually found that the Bose Triports did this for me initially, but now, like many things, they sound lifeless. I'm very demanding, I guess. Accuracy and clarity are nice, but richness/body/tone are MUCH more important.

As far as amps go, any suggestions? I couldn't find a price on the CD3000s - the going rate for HD650s seems to be $300 - I assume the CD3000s are somewhere in this range. That leaves ~$200 for the amp.

Thx,

jau

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 40
As far as the iPod Mini as a source is concerned, I'd suggest something simple as the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. Tonally it's somewhat similar to the CD3000, although in terms of capability it is quite different (read inferior). However on basic sources you're unlikely to be able to tell (or care about) a major difference. That, and it's ideal match are cheap decent amps like PIMETAs (not much point going higher for performance, as the A900 won't scale that far even assuming you have a quality source).

If you go for a basic PIMETA, that's about $150 change you've got out of your budget. If you're prepared to go slightly over-budget, you can add a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 for probably the best portable HEADphone experience on the Mini.

Jan 1, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

too bright, sometimes harsh
extremely colored
poor synergy w/ solid state amps
outdated and soon to be replaced

I feel i have to defend here.

Too bright, sometimes harsh

I wasn't worried about this one when i read up about the cd3ks, but when i first tried on these cans, i just thought OUCH. It is bright. But now it seems normal; i cannot see why others still seem to find them bright, though the cans are fatiguing and i do sometimes just want to stop listening unlike with the senns. They are a more enjoyable experience then the senns though.

I can't comment on this greatly, but source as in the formats of the media (cd and mp3), definately. The detail is brought out more and sounds smoother to my ears then what the senns do.

Rubbish. Compared to the senns, it is MUCH more accurate. The treble rolloff seems to be what attributes to this on the senns...its as if the upper tones of the voice are just missing. Not the case with the sonys.

rolled off highs

When i started comparing these headphones, i found it unbelievable how much of a chunk of the upper end the senns was missing. If Sennheiser do anything to the next HD in the 580-650 series, they need to solve the treble rolloff. IMO, its unacceptable in an 'audiophile' headphone.

ety-like detail

Listening to my music now is like a new experience. I am hearing so much that i never heard with the senns. The sony's really bring everything out. This could be said as the music sound separated on the sony's rather then all jumbled together on the senns.

Agreed. The senns go down further and much more prevalent on tracks then the cd3ks. The cd3k's have more slam though, for those hard house tracks
3000smile.gif

At the moment, i'm finding it hard to find some music sounding good on the senns. I compared the phones with a classical album, and its signature material was beaten by the sonys. Quite simply, the instruments do not sound anywhere near real once you have heard the sony's.

I don't understand it though, the phones are so much better for positioning and generally overall in counter-strike than the sony's unlike in music. I am going to test it some more, but right now, the Sony's don't come close in overall for accuracy of positioning in gaming! I also love the fit and feel of the Sony's. The CD3000s can't touch the senns for comfort and fit. The senns clamp onto your head comfortably. The sony's are loose and do not seem to distribute the weight evenly over the top and side of the head like the senns, they dump all the weight on the top of your head.

Well thats all the crits i have for the Sony's but otherwise, they are the better phones. I read for a long while having the Senns about the Sony's and knew it was what i wanted, my kind of sound. Now i have them, it is exactly that. Head-fi just seems to go through phases, at the moment i think its the hating cd3000 phase
tongue.gif

I hope that helps in your quest for the better headphone
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 40
$200.00 left for amp eh, try to find a perreaux sxh-1 ver 0.5
It got a good synergy with cd3k. as far as cd3k, the cheapest price for brand new is $380 from etronics.com
You can get much cheaper if you're willing to buy used in for sale forum.

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 40
have to read the responses...btw the iPod mini is no longer involved...i'll use the Apple earbuds on the road and deal with it - I just don't think I'm going to find portables with satisfying enough sound given my experience with the e5s

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 40
I really can't go over $500. So if I get the HD650s or CD3000s, I'm not going to have much left over for the amplifier. I have no problem doing it the other way - spending more on the amplifier than the phones. I think somebody suggested pairing $200 Grados with a Gilmore light once. I don't know...you tell me. I have no idea.
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 40
Hmm, IMHO, Grados and a compatible amp sounds like a great idea.

Just two things should be noted to a would be grado owner - 1. they leak like crazy 2. most people find them slightly uncomforable. Other than that, they are amazing, especially for that wow effect.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
Accuracy and clarity are nice, but richness/body/tone are MUCH more important.

Everybody had their favorite headphones. I'm not a fan of the CD3000s, but they have their fan club, and deservedly so. However, if you're looking for richness/body/tone there is no better headphone than the HD650.
As far as the Grados, they're definitely worth a listen. I like the SR225s, but their discomfort is too much for me. They're also not as full bodied as the Senns.
As always, try to audition what you can. That's the only way to find out what sounds good to you. Try to buy from somewhere that will let you return those cans that you don't want. You may pay a little more, but at least you get to make comparisons and buy the right can for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back