$500 bedroom setup suggestions
Mar 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #46 of 51
^^
Yeah. Soundbar = yuck to me. Better than TV speakers but not a substitute for a good setup. But I guess if you heard something liked at BestBuy or wherever, go for it. Everyone has to make themselves happy :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 51
^^
Yeah. Soundbar = yuck to me. Better than TV speakers but not a substitute for a good setup. But I guess if you heard something liked at BestBuy or wherever, go for it. Everyone has to make themselves happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Why the dissing of soundbars? They can be a very effective solution in the right situation and a bedroom HDTV is a good example of such a situation. However I completely agree that a soundbar is not a substitute for nice 5.1 home theater setup.

Then again here we are talking the finer points of a bedroom system while many people are listening to their 60" HDTV through the built in speakers while watching a standard definition channel with the picture stretched instead of the high definition channel of the same broadcast.
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #48 of 51
Why the dissing of soundbars? They can be a very effective solution in the right situation and a bedroom HDTV is a good example of such a situation. However I completely agree that a soundbar is not a substitute for nice 5.1 home theater setup.

As you know, hikaru12 had already talked about getting separate speakers. Soundbars would be a step backwards, IMO.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #49 of 51
As you know, hikaru12 had already talked about getting separate speakers. Soundbars would be a step backwards, IMO.

They wouldn't be a step backwards if they didn't cost so much for what you get- like as much as a decent 5.1 setup like you could get new from Monoprice (who reportedly uses Energy speakers rebranded). But a speaker bar is a definite step up from TV speakers depending on the kind- Yamaha YSP-xxxx or the Mirage one.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab3=b&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.1&c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=8247&seq=1&format=2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D109

better

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab3=b&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.1&c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D109%26cp_id%3D10906

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #50 of 51

I own 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer from Energy and all are very good. I have two pairs of the 3 way Energy Veritas 2.2s, both on Energy stands, and one pair of the 2 way Energy Veritas 2.1s. The subwoofer is an Energy MicroStar MS-12.1. For some reason Energy speakers don't seem to get the respect that they deserve and so they can often be found on the used market for really good prices, considering how good many Energy speakers are.

I look forward to getting me a pair and trying out your suggestion! This setup will reduce the cable clutter because I've been eyeing a 50" Panasonic Plasma that is going to be discontinued soon that they're selling for $700.

I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost and size in a cluttered 15' x 15' bedroom. I will be getting a proper 3-4k setup for the main living room to replace my Sony front standers in the future when I'm making the big bucks. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #51 of 51
I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost and size in a cluttered 15' x 15' bedroom. I will be getting a proper 3-4k setup for the main living room to replace my Sony front standers in the future when I'm making the big bucks.

As tim3320070 pointed out, many people find soundbars a poor price performance value. Be sure to listen to some at BestBuy or some other hifi shop and compare them to comparably priced separate speaker setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back