~$50-100 headphones as upgrade to Sennheiser HD202 and Monoprice 8320
Oct 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gdtechie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I started my foray into decent audio with the HD202's, and then the Monoprice 8320. I preferred the sound on the 8320 much more (the HD202's seemed somewhat muddy compared to the monoprice). I want to upgrade to some bigger cans that would provide more isolation and better sound quality.

I'm looking for something that is good for classical/instrumental music. I've been looking into the JVC HA-S500, but will that fit my genre of music? Also, the HD202 seemed to put too much pressure on my jaws, does anybody know whether JVC's are more comfortable?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 21
The S500 would not be the best choice for classical. The S400 is better balanced for that purpose, and cheaper.

However, neither one is bigger than the Monoprice. Comfort is subjective, but the JVCs are on-ear headphones that I don't find comfortable for more than an hour or so.

Full size isolation for classical under $50 is a tough call. Maybe the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) for $50?

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 21
Ah, my mistake. I thought you were talking about the also-much-talked-about-here Monoprice overear phones!

The rest I said stands. For classical you'd get a lot better results with open cans that would give you a wider soundstage, but if you need to be closed I think that Takstar/Gemini would be pretty good.

The Beyerdynamic DT660 is reportedly an excellent classical closed phone (see the thread on that very subject) and can be had for $90 sometimes used or open-box from Beyer. I have one in the mail right now. Might be worth saving up for!

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 21
Hi, thanks so much for your recommendations. I should probably clarify my music genre, it's Indian classical music (I listen to the instrumental variety), so the music would consist of a violin/flute/sax as the main instrument, accompanied with a percussion instrument. I guess that would bring it closer to jazz? Not exactly sure what genre it would be...

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UWPHTaBxXE around 3:00. The recordings I listen to are CD rips and are of better sound quality, however.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 21
Look into

Brainwavz HM5- Balanced, warm and good Bass
Shure SRH440- Detailed, Balanced, Tad cold but excellent for vocals
Skull Candy Aviator- Balanced, Mid-centric with a nice tone 

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Rockit Sounds R-Studio, warm balanced with a big soundstage.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks. How are the Ultrasone 580/780? Also the m50 is at $100 now if that changes anything.. Also I should mention that I won't be able to get an amp for some time, considering I'm a college student on a strict budget

i'm trying to have as many options as possible. also should add that a large amount of music i listen to are movie soundtracks / scores (e.g. Time by Hans Zimmer)

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 21
Not sure on the Ultrazones but the M50 are a fun, Balanced headphone. They are quite congested abd muffled sounding at that price point I think the HM5, Aviator are better alternatives than the M50. The M50 are durable and will last you a long time.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 21
The aviators are selling at $80 on amazon. Were they not selling at $150 last year? Not sure if these are the same ones.. 

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S6AVFM-156-Aviator-Headphones-Black/dp/B007GN0MHK

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 21
That's the ones. Make sure you get the one with the detachable cable. They are a steal right now!

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks, they look like my best bet right now! Anyone else have any input on the aviators? Couldn't find much about them on here..
What are their strengths and weaknesses?

Also, how are the Sennheiser HD439?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back