5 Star reviews bonanza
May 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #32 of 34

Quote:
 I think that the star system will eventually even itself out as more people use it.

My money is on the opposite trend.  
evil_smiley.gif
 I'd predict that less experienced (and easier to impress) reviewers will probably buy and rave about less expensive headphones.  Which will boost the ratings of entry-level headphones and level the star ratings system.  Time will tell..

May 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:
That said, shouldn't there be a minimum post count before posting a review? It wouldn't stop a determined shill, but at least make it harder for them.

Sad but true. I've seen a few glowing reviews already from people with zero posts. I'm not saying post count is a measure of knowledge or experience but I get a bit uneasy reading things like that. And the post count of the reviewer at the time of posting is not displayed making it harder to tell what's what. Personally I think there should be a "No" button for "Is this review helpful?" alongside the "Yes".

Quote:
My money is on the opposite trend.  
evil_smiley.gif
 I'd predict that less experienced (and easier to impress) reviewers will probably buy and rave about less expensive headphones.  Which will boost the ratings of entry-level headphones and level the star ratings system.  Time will tell..

Actually that trend might lead to the more experienced users lowering their standards just so that the new Skullcandy XI doesn't become the #1 ranked headphone on head-fi. 

May 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 34
Post count is somewhat connected with experience, which is somewhat connected to better reviews. However, I think whilst high quality reviews are important, the right to post reviews should belong to community members. If there's an experienced newcomer, I think it's fair that they join in and share the love first before giving reviews. The other, more practical reason, is that it's very hard to get a grasp of a person's tastes on a first post, no matter how good and detailed, so having a few posts first help us 'know' the reviewer. 

Having a 'no' button could be one solution, but it might open to abuse, lead to lots of drama etc.... 

Quote:
Sad but true. I've seen a few glowing reviews already from people with zero posts. I'm not saying post count is a measure of knowledge or experience but I get a bit uneasy reading things like that. And the post count of the reviewer at the time of posting is not displayed making it harder to tell what's what. Personally I think there should be a "No" button for "Is this review helpful?" alongside the "Yes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back