5 headphones down, just one more
May 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

500+ Head-Fier
Well, five favorite, full-size,open-back headphones. I have the GS2000e, T1.2, HD800S, HE6SE, and LCD2. If I was to get one more pair, and wanted something that is quite different, but still in the ~$1200 range, what would it be?
Elear/Clear
K712/812
Aeon2 open, so I'd have 3 planars and 3 dynamics
Break the bank and get some RAAL earspeakers

May 22, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 10
You posted this in the wrong section. You want the "Headphones (full-size)" part of the forum.

May 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Why 5 pair?? You take the weekend off? Have one for each day of the week!

May 22, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Why 5 pair?? You take the weekend off? Have one for each day of the week!
need 6 because that's what will fit on the wall in my listening nook. I have closed back ones for the home office and work office as well, and shure iems for when I'm listening to music while falling asleep, and a couple more portable pair (SR325e and GH4). Just looking for one more pair that would bring something different, but if I went past 6 on the wall, the WAF would drop precipitously.

May 23, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 10
well crap. this is the first time I actually posted a thread rather than replying. is there a way to move it?

Maybe try reporting your own post and ask the mods to move it in the reason section?

May 27, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, five favorite, full-size,open-back headphones. I have the GS2000e, T1.2, HD800S, HE6SE, and LCD2. If I was to get one more pair, and wanted something that is quite different, but still in the ~$1200 range, what would it be?
Elear/Clear
K712/812
Aeon2 open, so I'd have 3 planars and 3 dynamics
Break the bank and get some RAAL earspeakers

- Since you’re in the US, maybe consider the Drop Elex instead of the Clear? The Elex was $600, but now is back to the usual $700.
- Have you looked into any Beyerdynamic HPs, like the DT1990?
- Any desire for a closed-back? Drop has the DT177X GO, it was $380, but now is back to $450. There is also the Drop/Mr. Speakers Ether CX closed.
- Regarding an Aeon open, there is the Drop/Dan Clark Aeon Open X HPs.
- Go for a classic HD650/HD6XX?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO affiliation with Drop other than being a happy repeat customer.

If you haven’t yet, just start a new thread on then Full-size HPs forum.

May 27, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 10
- Since you’re in the US, maybe consider the Drop Elex instead of the Clear? The Elex was $600, but now is back to the usual $700.
- Any desire for a closed-back? Drop has the DT177X GO, it was $380, but now is back to $450. There is also the Drop/Mr. Speakers Ether CX closed.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO affiliation with Drop other than being a happy repeat customer.

I like the idea of the Elex, as a way to try out the Focals.

Other than the T1.2 from Beyer, I have in the past had the DT880. I also have the DT770 and the T5p, so not really looking at more Beyers right now. The Amiron Home were my favorite for a long time, but they got creaky so anytime you'd move or even breath you could hear the earcups creaking
I have a couple other closed backs besides the Beyers. The Aeon Flow Closed first generation, and the LCD-XC. Open are still my favorite to use whenever possible though
I do also have an older pair of HD600 that I've had for a while. They always seemed very clampy to me, and in the past I found them boring sounding. Maybe my ears have changed though, so it might be worth trying them out again.

Looks like the Elex are currently available for pre-order, so I might click the button. Hopefully it won't take as long to ship as the THX headphone amp I ordered from them last year.

Thanks!

Dana

May 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 10
I like the idea of the Elex, as a way to try out the Focals.

Other than the T1.2 from Beyer, I have in the past had the DT880. I also have the DT770 and the T5p, so not really looking at more Beyers right now. The Amiron Home were my favorite for a long time, but they got creaky so anytime you'd move or even breath you could hear the earcups creaking
I have a couple other closed backs besides the Beyers. The Aeon Flow Closed first generation, and the LCD-XC. Open are still my favorite to use whenever possible though
I do also have an older pair of HD600 that I've had for a while. They always seemed very clampy to me, and in the past I found them boring sounding. Maybe my ears have changed though, so it might be worth trying them out again.

Looks like the Elex are currently available for pre-order, so I might click the button. Hopefully it won't take as long to ship as the THX headphone amp I ordered from them last year.

Thanks!

Dana
Wow, impressive collection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back