5.1 setup from Energy for ~$1200 .. could I do better?
Sep 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
This is what I have in mind right now..

Energy RC10 Fronts - $300
Energy RC-Mini Center - $200
Energy RC-Mini Surrounds - $200
Energy ESW V-8 - $200
Denon AVR-1610 - $300

What do you guys think as far as value/brand choice?

This will be for a ~12x12 room, anyone think it's overkill?

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 28
Energy is great, I don't think you would be disappointed. Nothing overkill there. Just out of curiosity, where have you seen the esw-v8 for $200?

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 28
Lol outside of the the fact I was looking at the AVR-1910, that is the identical setup I was dreaming about. Looks like you are a couple years (and $) ahead of me at the moment. From the research I have done, it will be hard to do much better. The only other system in the range that I was also looking at was from Orb audio. They had gotten some good reviews, but I think I want full range speakers going forward instead of relying on sat/sub combos. My old home theater was based around an old Sony 5.1 receiver and some pretty solid JBL speakers from the discontinued Northridge line that ran me around $1300 all in. From what I have read, the Energy RC series should sound better for about the same price.

I think I saw you over on AVSforum, where I can only assume you have also posted. (I also saw you on slickdeals.net, I am inadvertantly stalking you it seems).

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 28
Sep 30, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol outside of the the fact I was looking at the AVR-1910, that is the identical setup I was dreaming about. Looks like you are a couple years (and $) ahead of me at the moment. From the research I have done, it will be hard to do much better. The only other system in the range that I was also looking at was from Orb audio. They had gotten some good reviews, but I think I want full range speakers going forward instead of relying on sat/sub combos. My old home theater was based around an old Sony 5.1 receiver and some pretty solid JBL speakers from the discontinued Northridge line that ran me around $1300 all in. From what I have read, the Energy RC series should sound better for about the same price.

I think I saw you over on AVSforum, where I can only assume you have also posted. (I also saw you on slickdeals.net, I am inadvertantly stalking you it seems).

lol yeah i'm on both avsforum and slickdeals

i thought about going w/ a 2.0 tower setup instead, but it's just too pricey for me once you factor in amplification

also, i think a 5.1 is much more versatile when you factor in gaming and movies.. both of which i do, albeit not as much as listening to music

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 28
I'd dump that sub and get a BIC Acoustech H100. If you can wing just a bit more money, you can have a sub that will actually play sub-bass.

I really do think that you're not putting enough emphasis on the subwoofer. I thought that the general consensus on AVS was that the subwoofer should cost about as much as the rest of the speakers combined.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 28
The Energy ESW-V8 goes down to 26hz vs 24hz for the H100... not a big difference. The ESW-V8's amp is also more powerful.

I think buying a monster subwoofer would be overkill. His room isn't very big for starter it's not like he has floorstanders or anything like that .. just 2 bookshelves with 5.5" woofers + 4 mini speakers.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 28
That is fine. The Speaker Company makes decent sounding gear for good prices too. For the $$, less than Energy and their entry level is much less, they are almost as good. Just another option.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 28
Personally, I dislike Energy's entry level gear... (looking at the RC-Mini and that subwoofer).

I think the RC-Mini as a center sounds like a terrible idea because centers are ideally large and at least bookshelf size... not smaller than bookshelf size...

The center should at least be an RC-10, IMO.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 28
Entry level would be the the ESW8 or C8. It is small, but there is nothing cheap about the V8.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 28
Good deal. My RC-10s sound great with HT. Although for real movie time I go to my Polk LSi15 7.1 setup. Looks like you're doing 5.1 after all, Koven!

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd dump that sub and get a BIC Acoustech H100. If you can wing just a bit more money, you can have a sub that will actually play sub-bass.

I really do think that you're not putting enough emphasis on the subwoofer. I thought that the general consensus on AVS was that the subwoofer should cost about as much as the rest of the speakers combined.

i looked into that sub too, but in the end, i think the esw v8 is enough for me.. the cheaper price helps, but mainly because i dont need that much slam for a small room

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is fine. The Speaker Company makes decent sounding gear for good prices too. For the $$, less than Energy and their entry level is much less, they are almost as good. Just another option.

i actually have a set of tsc speakers.. they are ok for the price but i think the RC's sound a lot better, at least my RC10 does.. dunno about the mini's yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I dislike Energy's entry level gear... (looking at the RC-Mini and that subwoofer).

I think the RC-Mini as a center sounds like a terrible idea because centers are ideally large and at least bookshelf size... not smaller than bookshelf size...

The center should at least be an RC-10, IMO.

ive read a lot about people using the rc10 w/ rc mini front.. most people think it's just fine, especially for a small room.. if this was a living room setup, then there might be some concerns.. but i will be sitting relatively close to the tv/speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good deal. My RC-10s sound great with HT. Although for real movie time I go to my Polk LSi15 7.1 setup. Looks like you're doing 5.1 after all, Koven!

i didnt really plan on it, but i got a good deal on the mini center + surrounds so i thought why not, now i just need to get the sub and receiver

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 28
question for you guys though... i wont be able to listen to my FLAC in 5.1 right? it will only play through the fronts?

is there a 5.1 plugin for foobar or anything like that?

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 28
I guess you could play "Stereo All" mode if your receiver has that mode. Otherwise, most music is recorded in stereo... aka the mains and the sub.

I am pretty sure foobar auto plays 5.1 if the music if 5.1. But not 100% sure.

Also, you have a point about the RC-Mini in small rooms when you are talking about volume and wattage requirements... but I am more referring to frequency range and neutrality. It is easier for a woofer to manipulate sound when the woofer matches the frequency (aka larger woofer = lower freq; smaller woofer = higher freq). A center should be able to hit fairly low as well as fairly high since it will play alot of sound. That means a center should have a decent tweeter AND a fair-sized woofer to hit decently low.

But then that's just my take on centers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back