5.1 setup from Energy for ~$1200 .. could I do better?
Sep 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question for you guys though... i wont be able to listen to my FLAC in 5.1 right? it will only play through the fronts?

is there a 5.1 plugin for foobar or anything like that?

foo_channel_mixer should do what you need.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foo_channel_mixer should do what you need.

x2, the Channel Mixer plugin for Foobar2000 is just outstanding. I preferred it to using DTS Neo:pC on my soundcard when I had the Z-5500 still.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 28
thanks guys, just downloaded the channel mixer plugin

any tips on how it should be set up? i see a bunch of settings like upmix/downmix, bass redirection, delay.. no idea what these should be set to

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 28
If you insist on new Energy speakers, then call J&R or someone like that and negotiate a better price. I am going to give you all a nice little tidbit- Amy at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis has gotten me some refurb Energy speakers that they usually put out on eBay. I got a pair of RC-50's for $550 shipped. I completely recommend refurb Energy speakers as it will save you a ton. Don't mess with the RC Mini center, go for a used/refurb RC-LCR or similar. I got RC-50, RC-10, RC-LCR and Take FPS for about $1100 shipped- some used, some refurbed and they sound very nice together, especially the LCR.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

any tips on how it should be set up? i see a bunch of settings like upmix/downmix, bass redirection, delay.. no idea what these should be set to

Upmix to 6-channel, leave everything else at defaults. Apply delay as necessary (in a small room you probably won't need to) and bass direction is unnecessary since your receiver or subwoofer will do a low-pass filter to get the bass anyway. When you use headphones simply disable the channel mixer or set it to Bypass instead of 6-ch. The things like volume of each channel are up to your preference, I just left them at defaults since they seem to be pretty good.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you insist on new Energy speakers, then call J&R or someone like that and negotiate a better price. I am going to give you all a nice little tidbit- Amy at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis has gotten me some refurb Energy speakers that they usually put out on eBay. I got a pair of RC-50's for $550 shipped. I completely recommend refurb Energy speakers as it will save you a ton. Don't mess with the RC Mini center, go for a used/refurb RC-LCR or similar. I got RC-50, RC-10, RC-LCR and Take FPS for about $1100 shipped- some used, some refurbed and they sound very nice together, especially the LCR.

thanks for that info... how would i get in contact w/ amy @ klipsch for refurbed energy speakers?

also, i already bought the RC mini center ($170 off ebay).. i cant really afford the upgrade to RC LCR anyway, which is $300+... many people have said the mini center is perfectly fine for small rooms so i went ahead and got it

i'm sure the RCLCR is better, but my budget is pretty tight

Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upmix to 6-channel, leave everything else at defaults. Apply delay as necessary (in a small room you probably won't need to) and bass direction is unnecessary since your receiver or subwoofer will do a low-pass filter to get the bass anyway. When you use headphones simply disable the channel mixer or set it to Bypass instead of 6-ch. The things like volume of each channel are up to your preference, I just left them at defaults since they seem to be pretty good.

thanks!

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 28
Klipsch Indianapolis: (317) 860-8100
Amy I think is their internet/eBay sales person (this was a while back keep in mind, might be a new person). The RC Mini center will be fine, it's the same tweeter as the rest of the RC lineup (as in very nice and smooth). They may or may not have refurb stock, you would need to be patient on this to get the pricing I was talking about- I did it over about a year.
Also, check Craigslist, that's the place for serious deals if you negotiate well. I recently got my Thiel 2.3's for $900 from someone local (originally $3600 9 years ago).

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I have the same channel mixer setup for both my 5.1 speakers and headphones:
- General: Output channels: 6 / LFE should be unticked / Stereoimage width should be set at 1.00
- Upmix: Center: 1.00 / (Rear) Volume: 2.00 / - Everything else should be set to 0.00

channel_mixer.jpg

You can play around with the rear volume, I suppose it depends how far away they are...

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same channel mixer setup for both my 5.1 speakers and headphones:
- General: Output channels: 6 / LFE should be unticked / Stereoimage width should be set at 1.00
- Upmix: Center: 1.00 / (Rear) Volume: 2.00 / - Everything else should be set to 0.00

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/graphicism/channel_mixer.jpg[IMG]

You can play around with the rear volume, I suppose it depends how far away they are...[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

thanks for the response

could you explain why LFE should be unticked and why everything besides center/rear should be set to 0 in upmix?

Quote:

[table] [tr] [td] Originally Posted by [b]tim3320070[/b] [url=/forum/post/6051798][img]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/url]
Klipsch Indianapolis: (317) 860-8100
Amy I think is their internet/eBay sales person (this was a while back keep in mind, might be a new person). The RC Mini center will be fine, it's the same tweeter as the rest of the RC lineup (as in very nice and smooth). They may or may not have refurb stock, you would need to be patient on this to get the pricing I was talking about- I did it over about a year.
Also, check Craigslist, that's the place for serious deals if you negotiate well. I recently got my Thiel 2.3's for $900 from someone local (originally $3600 9 years ago).

thanks for the contact info, i will give them a try tomorrow

and yeah, i'm been searching craigslist every day hoping to find some serious deals.. but havent found anything that's a must-buy yet

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #25 of 28
A moot point since you already have your center channel, but it is true that if movies are your primary reason for your theater setup, then focusing on the center channel is quite important since it handles all the dialogue. Your RC-10's will just be on sound effect and music duty depending on how everything is mixed. That being said, for a small room, just about anything you throw together will work, and you have still matched the speakers so you shouldn't have any voice matching problems. For me, since I gave up my theater a couple years ago and am primarily concerned with music now, I saw the RC-10's and thought how sweet they must sound for music, and adding in the surrounds for movies was just cake.

BTW, did you get the Denon yet? I would love to see if it sounds good with the Energy's. What are your video sources? I am curious as to how well the Denon's handle video upconversion and pass through. I was leaning heavily towards Onkyo for a receiver, but their video handling was supposedly less than ideal.

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #26 of 28
VERY nice setup, except the subwoofer. Can't you get the 10'' version? Or even the 12'' (if it exists) in case your room is quite big.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 28
That sub should be plenty in a 12x12 room. It may only be 8", but its got more power than many 10" subs out there. I have it in my living room and I had to turn down its volume knob to about 30-35% or it would just overpower those poor CB-20s lol.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sub should be plenty in a 12x12 room. It may only be 8", but its got more power than many 10" subs out there. I have it in my living room and I had to turn down its volume knob to about 30-35% or it would just overpower those poor CB-20s lol.

Power is never enough
normal_smile .gif
I have a 10'' subwoofer in my 20 square meters, and i can make it reach it's "clean" limit, that is, the limit without distorsion.
Also, it really drives me mad when people talk about volume. Volume is the least significant thing in my opinion. In a subwoofer, deep extension is foundamental too. The 10'' sure goes down deeper than the 8''. And don't believe you have linear 20hz even with the 10'', even less with the 8''.
Of course this is my personal suggestion. He can make the decision. Just wanted to tell him what i learned from spending money myself on equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back