5.1 Home Theater Setup.
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nuraman00

100+ Head-Fier
I have started looking into a 5.1 setup for a little over a week, due to a concert Blu Ray that I received. I want to hear it in 5.1.

I didn't know much about 5.1 a little over a week ago.

I have a good idea of what I want for the front L/R, center speakers. And the A/V receiver.

I'm not sure what to do for the rear surround speakers.

Due to a sliding door, and a fire place, I can't run wires along the wall, or ceiling. (Ceiling also slopes upward to heights of 12-14 feet).

I want the rear speakers to be as wire free as possible, including the interconnect between the L/R if possible.

But, wired speakers generally sound better.

How important is it for the receiver to know if it is going to the rear L or rear R?

Here are some possible setup options I am looking at.

1)

I get rear passive speakers and use this, connecting to the line out on the AV receiver. The AV receiver will transmit sound to the front wired speakers, and to the rear speakers using this Amphony device.

It seems like I might also be able to connect the transmitter to the rear AV speaker ports, instead of the line out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJN5IPY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

2)

I get powered rear speakers and use this:

https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-...01KM5T7AG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This transmitter will connect to the rear AV speaker ports, using RCA cables. I'll have to get a speaker cable to RCA adapter.

3)

This says it is wire free between the L/R speakers.

I have to see if I can just simply power these, and connect to the AV receiver via Bluetooth:

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/s3000pro

4)

I get the SVS Prime Wireless. They also have a 20 foot interconnect wire.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pr...annel=affiliate&utm_source=CommissionJunction

https://www.svsound.com/products/sv...annel=affiliate&utm_source=CommissionJunction

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 20
My two cents, use wired rear speakers, run the wires up the middle of the room and put throw rugs over the wires, maybe tape the wires down first.

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 20
My two cents, use wired rear speakers, run the wires up the middle of the room and put throw rugs over the wires, maybe tape the wires down first.
To avoid unsightly speaker wires....you could get a wireless subwoofer placed near the rear of the room and power the rear speakers through that. That's my plan for my next place.

Can surround channel information be transmitted via wireless kits?

Thanks, I think I'm fine with my proposed subwooofer placement. It's just the rear surround speakers.

The rear speakers have to be set up as clean as possible, because there is a sliding door walkway; a fireplace; and a walkway to the dining room, in that area.

The floor is already cluttered, so I don't want more obstacles across the floor, to the AV receiver.

If wireless kits transmit surround information, then I will use one of the two I linked to in the OP.

Otherwise, it appears Play-Fi transmits surround information, so # 4 could also be an option.

It looks like # 3 is out, since it only supports Bluetooth.

Sep 28, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 20
Is it better to get surround speakers that use a wireless transmitter, or to get ones that support Play-Fi (and a AV receiver that supports Play-Fi)?

Also, I can't find ANY AV receivers that support Play-Fi right now, that are in stock.

Everything is out of stock or back-ordered.

I've looked at several brand models.

I did finally find 3 on Crutchfield, but they are $2000+. All of the models between $500-$1000 are out of stock everywhere.

I called goth Pioneer and Onkyo and asked why I can't find and buy their AV receivers (especially the ones that had Play-Fi).

Both said they were in transition, because they got bought.

Onkyo also said that their production factories have been shut down all year due to COVID.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Can surround channel information be transmitted via wireless kits?

Thanks, I think I'm fine with my proposed subwooofer placement. It's just the rear surround speakers.

The rear speakers have to be set up as clean as possible, because there is a sliding door walkway; a fireplace; and a walkway to the dining room, in that area.

The floor is already cluttered, so I don't want more obstacles across the floor, to the AV receiver.

If wireless kits transmit surround information, then I will use one of the two I linked to in the OP.

Otherwise, it appears Play-Fi transmits surround information, so # 4 could also be an option.

It looks like # 3 is out, since it only supports Bluetooth.

Yes. Surround channels can be transmitted via wireless kits. If exclusively wireless speakers are your main goal...I think you have identified some decent options. But even so....you've got power cords for each of those wireless speakers to deal with.

My suggestion with the wireless powered subwoofer is that you could put your rear speakers on speaker stands. Most of the cords could be hidden around the couch.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 20

I decided that I'll get rear wired speakers, and try to deal with the long 30 foot speaker wires, for the surrounds, going to the AVR. I just need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the sliding door walkway area in the back of the room, as much as possible.

The wireless kits seem like even if they work, they'll die after some time. Or there's popping sound issues.

First though, I'm going to audition the front speakers, and see if I like them.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 20
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 20
The Yamaha AVR has "DSP Profiles".

What exactly are the differences between some of these?

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downlo.../web_AV19-0030_RX-V6A_ug_UCRABGLFPH_En_A0.pdf

Pages 103 - 110.

What's the difference between Straight Decode, Surround Decode, and Pure Direct? Especially Straight vs. Surround.

From the manual:

Enjoying unprocessed playback

Enjoying original sound (straight decode)

You can play back input sources without any sound field effects. The unit produces stereo sound from the front speakers for 2-channel sources such as CDs, and produces unprocessed multichannel sounds for multichannel sources.Each time you press STRAIGHT, the straight decode mode is enabled or disabled.

Enjoying multichannel playback without sound field effects(surround decoder)

The unit enables multichannel playback from 2-channel/multichannel sources without sound field effects. Press SUR. DECODE to select a surround decoder .Each time you press SUR. DECODE, the surround decoder changes.

Enjoying pure high fidelity sound (Pure Direct)

The unit plays back the selected source with the least circuitry and no sound field effects. It allows you to enjoy Hi-Fi sound quality. Each time you press PURE DIRECT, the direct playback mode is enabled or disabled. When the Pure Direct is enabled, “PURE DIRECT” lights up on the front panel.

What about Hall In Munich vs. Hall In Vienna vs. The Roxy Theater? Can someone explain, in their own words, what they think the differences will produce?

Hall in Munich

This program simulates a Munich concert hall with approximately 2,500 seats that uses stylish wood for the interior finishing. Fine, beautiful reverberations spread richly, creating a calming atmosphere. The listener’s virtual seat is at the center left of the arena

Hall in Vienna

This program simulates a 1700-seat, middle-sized concert hall with a shoebox shape that is traditional in Vienna. Pillars and ornate carvings create extremely complex reverberations from all around the audience, producing a very full, rich sound.

The Roxy Theatre

This program creates the sound field of a 460-seat rock music concert venue in Los Angeles.The listener’s virtual seat is at the center left of the hall.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 20
The Yamaha AVR has "DSP Profiles". What exactly are the differences between some of these?
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downlo.../web_AV19-0030_RX-V6A_ug_UCRABGLFPH_En_A0.pdf Pages 103 - 110.
What's the difference between Straight Decode, Surround Decode, and Pure Direct? Especially Straight vs. Surround. From the manual:
What about Hall In Munich vs. Hall In Vienna vs. The Roxy Theater? Can someone explain, in their own words, what they think the differences will produce?
Those setting might only do minor tweaks to the audio, really need to use whatever setting sounds best to your ears.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 20
Thanks. I just set up the center channel, and rear speakers on Friday. Subwoofer will be soon, and setup will finally be complete.

Then it is just a matter of seeing if I like the subwoofer, and seeing what settings I like.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 20
How do I know if I like my center channel? Or is there anything that I can play that will test it out? Either some broadcast, some music, or something? Something that I can listen / hear to to see if it performs?

For the front and rear speakers, I listened to music and would listen for certain sounds.

For the subwoofer, I know what to listen for.

But I don't know what to listen for in a center channel.

I did listen to music upmixed to 5.1 using the Surround Decoder, so I know it worked.

I also tried these YouTube tests, which ensured that I had connected everything properly:

Nov 4, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 20
Any advice on the following?

My PC is connected to the AVR via HDMI. From the AVR, I connect to the TV.

When my TV is off, and I play a CD on my PC, then I can upmix it to the surround decoder. And all my speakers are used.

When my TV is on, and I play the CD, then the AVR says PCM, and the surrounds aren't used.

HOWEVER, if I play a DVD or Blu Ray, and my TV is on, then I am getting the surround decoder I want.

For both the CD and DVD, I'm using VLC Player.

When my TV is off, then in Windows, for the output sound device, I have to select the name of my AVR. When my TV is on, then I have to select the name of my TV for the output sound device in Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back