5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Jan 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #286 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had issues with wasapi as well. I just ended up using ASIO.

Ok so I downloaded the ASIO plugin and added Creative ASIO to Playback->Output->ASIO Virtual Devices without changing any of the settings like Channel Map and latency. Should everything be working now? Oh I also set my output device to Creative ASIO. Also is there any difference between 'DS: Primary Sound Driver' and 'DS: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)'?

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #287 of 633
there is a new version of dolby wrapper for foobar:
Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP - Hydrogenaudio Forums
nothing necessary, just informing you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #288 of 633
Yesterday, I did a quick compare between,

FreeSurround > Dolby Headphone Wrapper

and

FreeSurround > George VST Wrapper > VST Dolby Headphone Wrapper

With the same settings, I would have expected the same sound, but it wasn't the case. Please, tell me I am mistaken...

Could simple wrappers change the sound ?

Both wrappers link to the same Dolby dll...

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #289 of 633
After about a week dinking around with FreeSurround, I went back to Channel Mixer. While I like FreeSurround with some tracks, it sounded pretty jacked up on others. For instance, Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but Not Here: The picked guitar would move from right to left then back so suddenly the brief moment it was in the left didn't even sound like a guitar. It sounded like a machine of some sort and was too distracting to even listen to. No matter what I did to the mix I couldn't alleviate this problem. I tried to get it to crosstalk to no avail. While listening to Sigur Ros - Takk the drums were so washed out they didn't even sound like drums. Once again they sounded like something else all together. I was able to fix this problem somewhat, but then the next thing I would listen to would need to be adjusted back. With Channel Mixer, while it doesn't have the seemingly wider soundstage, I can at least get enjoyment out of just about everything I listen to with it. So my vote is with Channel Mixer.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #290 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After about a week dinking around with FreeSurround, I went back to Channel Mixer. While I like FreeSurround with some tracks, it sounded pretty jacked up on others. For instance, Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere but Not Here: The picked guitar would move from right to left then back so suddenly the brief moment it was in the left didn't even sound like a guitar. It sounded like a machine of some sort and was too distracting to even listen to. No matter what I did to the mix I couldn't alleviate this problem. I tried to get it to crosstalk to no avail. While listening to Sigur Ros - Takk the drums were so washed out they didn't even sound like drums. Once again they sounded like something else all together. I was able to fix this problem somewhat, but then the next thing I would listen to would need to be adjusted back. With Channel Mixer, while it doesn't have the seemingly wider soundstage, I can at least get enjoyment out of just about everything I listen to with it. So my vote is with Channel Mixer.

dongringo -

this is the level of feedback that I've been hoping for since 2007...
When does that happen in the Porcupine track? Also, what track in the Sigur Ros album shows that?

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #291 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by pro_optimizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dongringo -

this is the level of feedback that I've been hoping for since 2007...
When does that happen in the Porcupine track? Also, what track in the Sigur Ros album shows that?

The PT track ASBNH builds slowly until Steven Wilson starts a sweeping picking technique which is constant until the heavy section 2/3 the way through. After the heavy section, which sounds fine, the picking starts up again throughout the rest of the song. The problem is during this sweeping guitar picking technique. While transferring from the right to left channels, the mid doesn't stay in the left channel long enough to resonate, thus it doesn't sound like the pluck of a guitar string and doesn't have time to sustain. With my limited knowledge of sound reproduction, this is the only way I can explain it. As far as Sigur Ros - Takk is concerned, I listened to tracks 6 and 8. The drums were way too recessed, not so with Channel Mixer, and sounded so muffled I couldn't make out the tones and the snare didn't sound anything like a snare.

There are aspects of FreeSurround I am already missing, but unless it's improved upon, I'll stick with Channel Mixer for now.

Hope that helps.
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #292 of 633
Anyone ever experience errors in Foobar2000 that go along the lines of something like this:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 4 channels (0x107)
I've had issues with WASAPI in Win7 before, and most of those issues seemed sorted out, but every now and then on certain recordings I get an error that reads something similar to this on certain sections of certain songs. Not the whole song, just certain parts of a song. There's at least one Beatles song I have this experience with and just now I was listening to a band called KillingTheOldMan and experienced it again about half way through the first track. Its very annoying and I could probably fix it by flipping back to ASIO or dropping down to 16 bit, but I'm wondering if there's another, easier answer to my predicament.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #293 of 633
The only time I've seen that error message was when I paused a song and proceeded to add/change some DSP plugins. When I hit Play after all the changes I got that message, but never again after that. You might want to do a clean foobar install and start over. Not sure though.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #294 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I've seen that error message was when I paused a song and proceeded to add/change some DSP plugins. When I hit Play after all the changes I got that message, but never again after that. You might want to do a clean foobar install and start over. Not sure though.

Hmm. Maybe so. It seems to me that I've seen similar error messages on my other install on my work computer, but I can't be sure.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #295 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ever experience errors in Foobar2000 that go along the lines of something like this:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 4 channels (0x107)
I've had issues with WASAPI in Win7 before, and most of those issues seemed sorted out, but every now and then on certain recordings I get an error that reads something similar to this on certain sections of certain songs. Not the whole song, just certain parts of a song. There's at least one Beatles song I have this experience with and just now I was listening to a band called KillingTheOldMan and experienced it again about half way through the first track. Its very annoying and I could probably fix it by flipping back to ASIO or dropping down to 16 bit, but I'm wondering if there's another, easier answer to my predicament.

Same here, but it's only for a few flac files. The rest of them are fine. I haven't changed anything. It doesn't have that issue for lossy files.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #296 of 633
Quote:

Same here, but it's only for a few flac files. The rest of them are fine. I haven't changed anything. It doesn't have that issue for lossy files.

Hate to say it, but glad to know I'm not the only one. It's happened to me with a few flac files and, so far, one song on one CD.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #297 of 633
It's strange since foobar is the only player that has this problem.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #298 of 633
Quote:

It's strange since foobar is the only player that has this problem.

Well I'm not running through WASAPI in any other player so I wouldn't know. Do you have WASAPI running through something like Winamp?

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #299 of 633
Wow, this thread is amazing. Great information.

Will this technique work with any DAC? I'm new to the audio world, and just ordered a DAC/Amp combo, but I'm interested in maintaining the surround sound.

I'm on a Mac right now, but will try this next time I boot into windows. How imperative is having a "s-logic" or similar surround sound headphones to the experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back