5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Jan 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #211 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAChichorro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's how mine is configured:

matrix.jpg

Well that made a difference. Dylan and the band were then behind my head. That or I had my phones reversed. Seriously, at the moment I'm listening with my phones intentionally on backwards and it sounds not bad! A bit uncomfortable unfortunately.

Is there any reference for the settings or does one just have to play with them?

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #212 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that made a difference. Dylan and the band were then behind my head. That or I had my phones reversed. Seriously, at the moment I'm listening with my phones intentionally on backwards and it sounds not bad! A bit uncomfortable unfortunately.

Is there any reference for the settings or does one just have to play with them?

Play at will, I'm still playing in search of an optimum setting.
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #213 of 633
Quote:

Play at will, I'm still playing in search of an optimum setting.
beerchug.gif

Have you found a way to make the setting stick? If I take it out and later put it back in the previous settings are gone.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #214 of 633
Quote:

Have you found a way to make the setting stick? If I take it out and later put it back in the previous settings are gone.

Just saved the profile with the right settings in foobar's DSP options page.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #215 of 633
Quote:

Just saved the profile with the right settings in foobar's DSP options page.

The field labeled "Presets"?

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #216 of 633
Quote:

The field labeled "Presets"?

Exactly. I have 3 presets (called Headphones CM, Headphones MM and Headphones FS)that are the same in everything except the channel upmixing. DSP chain: Resampler (SoX mod)-> channel upmixing (Channel Mixer/Matrix mixer/FreeSurround respectively) -> Dolby Headphone

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #217 of 633
i use media player classic for movies.

does this work for mp3/flac ?

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #218 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use media player classic for movies.

does this work for mp3/flac ?

Using foobar with these plugins works for mp3's. Should work for flac but I never tried.

If I misunderstood and you meant will the foobar plugins work in media player, I rather doubt it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #219 of 633
Hello,

could you please add info to first about:
- hardware requirements: sound card, headphone
- source audio file's format
- foobar output methods

I did everything you wrote in guide but surround test plays all channels in any ticked 'speaker'.
Tried on WASAPI/DS usb sound card and DS built-in realtek sound card.
Sound from that setup is lots quiet than normal, any way to make it louder without eq? hard to compare two different loudness setups
Windows 7 64bit

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #220 of 633
I was a bit skeptical of this, but today i made the switch to foobar 5.1 configuration on my beyer dt880's

AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW...........

Separation/vocals could not have been so intact. I thought clarity would suffer(apparently i was wrong) It's like there's a subwoofer somewhere in my head transmitting signal waves from each channel like a robot's brain or something.

It's just a wonderful music experience & I definitely don't need 5 grand worth of speakers when my beyers sound just as good

Just leave everything on default. Toying with the settings too much can make it sound over grainy and it might loose its touch. I have the center on mine at 1.0 and couldn't of been any happier.

thank you OP & to that guy who made that Dolby Headphone guide with MPC+ZOOM.

now to leave some Celldweller/Megadeth albums on 24/7(on 5.1 surround setup) and burn these cans to their full potential.
dt880smile.png

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #221 of 633
Nice to see this thread getting some attention and even evolving. I'll play around with the other alternatives myself and see how I like them in comparison.

I will add in channel mixer: Rear volume equals width away from ears in your 'headspace', thus 2.00 should produce the best soundstage and musical separation given that you have good quality music files.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #222 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

could you please add info to first about:
- hardware requirements: sound card, headphone
- source audio file's format
- foobar output methods

Well I use a bit-perfect sound card but it shouldn't matter. Ultrasone headphones are clearly my preference for this setup however this shouldn't put others off and will still work rather well with whatever you have.

Source as clean as possible, original, FLAC or AAC preferred. MP3s even properly encoded ones have dirty highs and lows but do still work, i.e. output sound.

Foobar output is problematic with WASAPI on Win7, I believe some are using ASIO with success. A clean install of foobar using direct sound should work just fine.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #223 of 633
there is no 5.1 sound card needed right? I got 2 channel card e-mu 0202 and senn hd555. when use output wasapi emu music stops when switching to this DSP setup and return error about lack of 6 channel support. any way to normalize volume to make both setups easier to compare? source flac
hmm
It sound totally different, it sounds lots more 3D than normal setup. For me it sounds a bit like live song
smily_headphones1.gif
But i'm not sure if it sounds better than non-live version :p
anyway surround test still plays all channels when ticked only one channel

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #225 of 633
IMO, in the Dolby Headphone configuration,

i think the amplification volume should be left at 200%.

100% is stable and probably preferred by most people. I just think the volume is a tad bit quiet, but if you set it to 200%, the soundstage/impact hits you even more and makes 5.1 truly a great experience.

This is just my observation, i have no distortion /dampy noise at 200%. SQ stayed intact and did not suffer like most people said.

I also am using FreeSurround at default settings and it sounds a bit sharper/balanced than channel mixer.

I am very satisfied and will be using this for all my music needs. I can't even fathom going back to regular 2.0 stereo now
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back