5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Jan 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #196 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still hearing some clipping in some songs with this setup and I'm not certain its my gear, or maybe I have some setting wrong in my Foobar settings, or if its just some music I own is just a casualty of the loudness war. Air's Universal Traveler off of their Walkie Talkie album is a track that really stands out to me with the Dolby settings. Especially about mid-way through the song. I'm listening to it in flac on two different computers with two pretty different setups. If I turn off Dolby Headphone I can still hear some clipping on one of the machines (haven't tried this on the other yet) but only if I turn up the volume to practically 6:00.

Would anyone happen to be familiar with this track and help me confirm its not something I'm messing up on my end? I've also tried applying Replaygain and Advance Limiter with no success.

You could try looking at foobar's peak meter. But my guess is it's a problem with the source.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #197 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try looking at foobar's peak meter. But my guess is it's a problem with the source.

Is that a component you have to add or does it come standard with foobar?

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #199 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ keep the dolby headphone volume to 50%. AFAIR,this should avoid clipping,someone suggested so at HA forums.

Interesting. I had no idea. I'll have to try that.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #200 of 633
Quote:

I wish. The only way that I can think it'd be possible to pull this off on a mac is with CrossOver or Parallels. I've looked and couldn't find any software that supports DH on the Mac. A shame really.

ughh, I would have really liked to try it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #201 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ keep the dolby headphone volume to 50%. AFAIR,this should avoid clipping,someone suggested so at HA forums.

That really isn't ideal as you're relying on digital volume attenuation from dolby's algorithm. I don't think there's any clipping occurring that wouldn't without the plugin, unless someone shows peakmeters that disagree.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #202 of 633
Quote:

Is that a component you have to add or does it come standard with foobar?

I'm not a foobar expert but I believe the peak meter is part of the standard package. It is found under View/Visualisations/Peak Meter.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #206 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAChichorro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been experimenting with Matrix Mixer, surround seems more natural, less like headphones. Prefer it over Channel Mixer and FreeSurround thus far.

I just tried Matrix Mixer on your recommendation, but I am seeing only two channels displayed in foobar. How do you have yours configured? I have no idea what it is currently doing. To me music sounds the same whether Matrix Mixer is in or out.

I have been searching but I can't find much information on Matrix Mixer.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #207 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried Matrix Mixer on your recommendation, but I am seeing only two channels displayed in foobar. How do you have yours configured? I have no idea what it is currently doing. To me music sounds the same whether Matrix Mixer is in or out.

I have been searching but I can't find much information on Matrix Mixer.

Here's how mine is configured:

matrix.jpg

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #209 of 633
Holy crap. This is one of the best audio tricks I've ever tried. All of my songs sound more full, softer, and generally better. The soundstage is just awesome. I can't wait to try this with a pair of really good cans....
beyersmile.png
I'm currently eyeing the Grado SR80s.... just need the money...
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #210 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you just replace Channel Mixer with Matrix Mixer? Anything we need to know?

Exactly, I just replaced Channel Mixer with Matrix Mixer in the DSP chain, configuring it like the image in my earlier post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back