5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Dec 31, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #181 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dll file can't even be read by foobar. It says that it might not be compatible with the current version of foobar...

What version of foobar are you running? Do you got the right dll?

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #182 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could agree with you, but if you were just moving your seat forward, the L & R volume would also get louder as you move closer to the source. But that is not the case.

What you are doing is bringing the center information closer to you while keeping the L & R information where it was. This flattens the sound stage because the center information is no longer as far from the L & R information as it was before.

BTW, have you tried the VST plugin? I find the default values for VST and the default values for the channel mixer to sound quite similar regarding the distance of the center information from the L & R.

USG

How do I use it? I downloaded and installed the package from the website, but nothing comes up. How do I get to those menus.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #183 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdynamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I use it? I downloaded and installed the package from the website, but nothing comes up. How do I get to those menus.

first try quitting foobar and restarting. Did you put the plugin in the foobar components?

As a caution, it will oscillate if you go from one VST configuration directly to another, so go throug a non VST default setting first.

Edit: if it oscillates, just quickly click the foobar play again so it restarts the selection.

it should look something like this

orig.jpg

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #186 of 633
Hey guys, so recently I've been very indecisive about this. While the soundstage effect is amazing, I was finding vocals, or maybe the just the center sounds, were sounding somewhat mufled. I decided to try free surround, which seemed to work better with the vocals but then I found the sides weren't sounding as good.

So then I was just like "I wonder what happens if I just max out all the sliders in free surround?" And then I laughed, because it sounded better than any other setting I've used so far!

I haven't gone through all the types of music in my playlist yet, but it sounded great with Michael Jackson's Thriller(especially the beginning little portion) and Beyonce's Halo, Frank Sinatra's Fly me to the Moon, as well as some orchestrated videogame music (The 13th Anthology by Yoko Shimomura is an amazing track). I need to A/B more with the dolby-less setup, but so far I like what I'm hearing.

Maybe it's just my setup, though. The RX700s sound awesome, but their soundstage isn't very big, and it definitely sounds like I'm wearing headphones. Whilst before the vocals sounded somewhat veiled or muffled, now they just feel "further". Free surround does seem to lower volume more than channel mixer though.

Edit: Oohhh "I am the Warlus" by the fab four(beatles) sounds amazinggg with this.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #187 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, so recently I've been very indecisive about this. While the soundstage effect is amazing, I was finding vocals, or maybe the just the center sounds, were sounding somewhat mufled. I decided to try free surround, which seemed to work better with the vocals but then I found the sides weren't sounding as good.

So then I was just like "I wonder what happens if I just max out all the sliders in free surround?" And then I laughed, because it sounded better than any other setting I've used so far!

I haven't gone through all the types of music in my playlist yet, but it sounded great with Michael Jackson's Thriller(especially the beginning little portion) and Beyonce's Halo, Frank Sinatra's Fly me to the Moon, as well as some orchestrated videogame music (The 13th Anthology by Yoko Shimomura is an amazing track). I need to A/B more with the dolby-less setup, but so far I like what I'm hearing.

Maybe it's just my setup, though. The RX700s sound awesome, but their soundstage isn't very big, and it definitely sounds like I'm wearing headphones. Whilst before the vocals sounded somewhat veiled or muffled, now they just feel "further". Free surround does seem to lower volume more than channel mixer though.

Edit: Oohhh "I am the Warlus" by the fab four(beatles) sounds amazinggg with this.

could you post a screenshot of your settings?

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #188 of 633
Quote:

It doesn't sound as good as the regular VST or Channel Mixer......

could you post a pic of your config? Maybe I have it set up wrong.

Neither, I didn't play around with it much since I'm very happy with the original config already.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #189 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither, I didn't play around with it much since I'm very happy with the original config already.

which original config?
atsmile.gif

I have configs for VST, VST Wrapper, Free Surround, and Channel Mixer, both with and without Advanced Limiter and George Yohng's W1 Limiter........

All work, but regular VST can be a little twitchy and cause a crash if I switch around too much.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #190 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdynamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that I am simply moving my seat forward. I had a setting of .90 and found that the vocals blended into the instrumental on tracks where it is evident listening sans DSP that the vocal is meant to be the 'centrepeic.' So, for hip hop and other 'electronic' music it was decent. For Diana and Sarah, they became lost. I found that by increasing the centre and then bringing some of the rear into the front I repositioned myself 'closer' to the stage. IMO, it should be music first, effect second. I may lose some separation, but the music sounds more true to the way it was originally equalized.

I was increasing center to 1.25 and adding some rear to front. For some things I thought this combination sounded good, but I found adding rear to front made some tracks sound horrid -- hollow, as if something was out of phase.

I have gone back to center slightly less than 1.0 and no rear in front.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #192 of 633
I'm still hearing some clipping in some songs with this setup and I'm not certain its my gear, or maybe I have some setting wrong in my Foobar settings, or if its just some music I own is just a casualty of the loudness war. Air's Universal Traveler off of their Walkie Talkie album is a track that really stands out to me with the Dolby settings. Especially about mid-way through the song. I'm listening to it in flac on two different computers with two pretty different setups. If I turn off Dolby Headphone I can still hear some clipping on one of the machines (haven't tried this on the other yet) but only if I turn up the volume to practically 6:00.

Would anyone happen to be familiar with this track and help me confirm its not something I'm messing up on my end? I've also tried applying Replaygain and Advance Limiter with no success.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #193 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still hearing some clipping in some songs with this setup and I'm not certain its my gear, or maybe I have some setting wrong in my Foobar settings, or if its just some music I own is just a casualty of the loudness war. Air's Universal Traveler off of their Walkie Talkie album is a track that really stands out to me with the Dolby settings. Especially about mid-way through the song. I'm listening to it in flac on two different computers with two pretty different setups. If I turn off Dolby Headphone I can still hear some clipping on one of the machines (haven't tried this on the other yet) but only if I turn up the volume to practically 6:00.

Would anyone happen to be familiar with this track and help me confirm its not something I'm messing up on my end? I've also tried applying Replaygain and Advance Limiter with no success.

It's probably in your source material. See if you get any clipping with Massive Attack's "Angel".

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #194 of 633
Quote:

It's probably in your source material. See if you get any clipping with Massive Attack's "Angel".

Okay, will do. Thank you.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #195 of 633
Quote:

Okay, found and played this tonight. It wasn't flac, but mp3 at 320. Figured I wouldn't notice much of a difference either way. Through all the crunching guitars and crashing cymbals I couldn't discern any clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back