5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #601 of 633
I couldn't read the whole thread, but maybe it is interesting to know that you can also encode with "Dolby Headphone" enabled. This way you can have the 5.1 emulation for your DTS/AC3  albums on the go. That works with every device. Make sure you have DTS/AC3 and "Dolby Headphone" aupport available in Foobar.

Import the Album in Foobar. Rightclick the playlist - Contens - Convert - ... . Select the audio format of your choice (if you import flac DTS files you should surely use flac). Under "Processing" move "Dolby Headphone" to "Active DSPs". Start encoding. You're done!

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #602 of 633
I just tried this, and am left speechless...
This is exactly what I needed, but I didn't know I wanted! The soundstage is improved in a really natural way, and I want to listen to all of my songs again :D

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #603 of 633
Did you try it with a real 5.1 recording or with a normal stereo recording? It works much better with real 5.1 recordings.
I can say the "Muse - The Resistance" 5.1 recording is really awesome!

May 16, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #608 of 633
This works great on my PC. Thank you.

about the
• Download 5.1 Surround Test File from lynnemusic.com

That AC3 surround sound file link does not exist anymore.
please see  http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html
for that Surround Test File (.WMA) and a few more.

or you can download the original AC3 file at  http://www.cachedpages.com/

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #609 of 633
i think you should use 5.1 as a source for dolby headphone plugin and not stereo. I tried it at first with stereo files and was very disappointed and uninstall this plugin. I gave it second chance now, but now i took 5.1 96/24 music from bluray. Downsample to 48/24 and used this plugin with no other EQs and DSPs.

I subjectively feel these differences:
Some parts are more quiet, than with original source. Others are not. Music feels more dynamic and relaxed.
Bass feels stronger.
Voices doesnt feel so close and intimate.
More mellow/darker/muffed/less harsh sound.

If music was mastered with support for dolby headphone in mind from start, it would probably sound awesome, as sound engineer would make all the EQ adjustments... on the other hand... i heared Pearl Jam Binaural album and some others and wasn't pleased with the sound.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #610 of 633
That's the thing with binaural tech.. You can't please everyone. It's one big compromise.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #612 of 633
This is rather glorious. Hearing a huge difference with Carpenter Brut's Disco Zombi Italia. Thanks for this guide!

-EDIT: My experience with this after 1 day is that bass loses its definition and sounds a lot more muddy. I rather have a bit less sound-stage but keep my thick and accurate bass.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #613 of 633
I've been using this setup for quite some time and I'm pleased with the results.
But I just started dorking around in powerdvd 15 and noticed that setting the output mode to headphones-truetheater surround-theater sounds BETTER than dolby headphone (the very plugin used in this neat foobar setup), not only in videos but in music files as well.
The thing is, I'm not sure if music played in powerdvd15+truetheater surround sounds better than DH+foobar+electric-q. 
any thoughts? now I wish there was a way to use truetheater in foobar too.

edit: now I think foobar sounds better, dunno whether electric-q does a good job or DH works better in foobar than it does in powerdvd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back