5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Sep 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #526 of 633

I usually play with effects and convolvers so this isn't knocking my socks off, but when it's set to DH1 - Reference room on my EX600 or A2000X it does sound really good!!!

SHEESH I can't WAIT to listen to super fast complex layered trance with this on my new 6-driver custom IEM's!!!

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #530 of 633
Better late than never, after, to my surprise, enjoying Dolby headphone with music I came across this thread and it sounds really good. Thanks a lot to TS for doing this guide.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #531 of 633
If you ask me the built in "convert stereo to 4 channels" DSP colors the sound less than the Channel mixer.  Kinda funner that Foobar includes something like this, it isn't enough for a 5.1 system, and quadraphonic headphones are as rare as hen's teeth.  

I really only use this DSP set up for old "very stereo" stuff, newer stuff just gets muffled to my ear.  

Also, you can use Foobar's built in converter to "bake" DSP effects into the files for use on portable players and the like.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #532 of 633

try these settings out with dolby headphone on 120%

i found it very nice and ive experimented hundreds of times lol.

My eq settings, using k701 and this 5.1 setup right now whilst playing the song "the strawberry field" by james newton howard; sounds like the song is just playing in the room, like in a film. Just so amazing :')

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #533 of 633
Quick question guys, I've installed the Free Surround beta version and the dolby stuff, and if i use the two together they work fine but if i add the SOX resampler it says this: 

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 16-bit / 6 channels"

Yet when i use the SOX resampler by itself it also works fine, do the two not work together?

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #534 of 633
I used to have this for my Sony MDR-V6 and I really liked it. Now with the Ultrasone Pro 900 it's much much worse. Soundstage doesn't seem to get much better, and a lot of detail is lost. I guess this is good for headphones with a relatively small soundstage.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #535 of 633

Quote:
I used to have this for my Sony MDR-V6 and I really liked it. Now with the Ultrasone Pro 900 it's much much worse. Soundstage doesn't seem to get much better, and a lot of detail is lost. I guess this is good for headphones with a relatively small soundstage.

well not really, i found it works better on headphones with bigger soundstage. I found that on my k701 is the best ive heard it, i tried it on some smaller soundstage closed back panasonic headphones and it wasnt as good, also on the closed back sennheiser pmx200, some iems and my friends; Beats pro. On the closed back headphones it was ok but not that great, on my k701 it is brilliant.

i dont think u liked it on the ultrasone pro 900 because they have s-logic? but that it just a guess because i never used them.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #536 of 633

Quote:
Quick question guys, I've installed the Free Surround beta version and the dolby stuff, and if i use the two together they work fine but if i add the SOX resampler it says this: 

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 16-bit / 6 channels"

Yet when i use the SOX resampler by itself it also works fine, do the two not work together?

hm i just checked and with me, sox at 96000hz works fine using output wasapi and 24bit. 

Whats the order u got ur DSPs?

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #537 of 633

Quote:
hm i just checked and with me, sox at 96000hz works fine using output wasapi and 24bit. 

Whats the order u got ur DSPs?

I have:

Resampler on 96000hz
Free Surround Beta (completely stock)
Dolby Headphone on DH1 (and it all says valid when i go to configure that)

What do you think? I thought it might be the bit rate but 16/96 and 24/96 give the same error, plus 44.1 works regardless of bitrate.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #538 of 633

Quote:
I have:

Resampler on 96000hz
Free Surround Beta (completely stock)
Dolby Headphone on DH1 (and it all says valid when i go to configure that)

What do you think? I thought it might be the bit rate but 16/96 and 24/96 give the same error, plus 44.1 works regardless of bitrate.

i tried it with sox last in the chain. 

when i get ur error its for songs that are 22050hz only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back