5.1 computer speakers recommendations please?
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 17
digitheatredts.jpg

go and check some review of it on the net ; they're almost all very positive.
I preferred it to the klipsch .

Orchestra works , through this setup , though not detailed as my full rig or headphones , are absolutely impressive and huge sounding ..
bass is not bloated at all , it's hearth shuttering but you can adjust volume amount for each satellite (!) and the 4 satellites can be replaced ..it has an optical in ( = an internal DAC , which I use ) and a loop out circuit ..
I don't know why no one have it here .
quite weird , to admit it - but there are times I choose to listen music through this system instead then on my full rig / headphones ..

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 17
I have a set of the Logitech X-530s. Got them at the local futureshop (Regular: $119CAD) and won't buy them again (you can't replace the cables on them either.) Just yesterday I listened to my friend's monitors (Celestion 3 MKII) with a song I THOUGHT I knew well, having made it myself. In one segment of the song, where a synth rises and falls in volume on each side alternatingly, it distorted really badly when it peaked.
Thinking it was the speakers, I tried the song on another setup and listened really hard. Sure enough, it was still there. I tried the song on my X-530s again and could barely hear it: so I'm assuming that these try hard to cover up errors in recordings (now that I know the distortion is there, I hear it, albeit vaguely, on most all other systems.)
They are incredibly directional as well. I've never known this room to have large amounts of sound damping, so that possibility is ruled out. I listen at low volumes, so from long(er) distances you can't hear the rear speakers, which really throws off the fun of having surround sound. For sound positioning (with the exception of things behind you) my friend's monitors beat these. Everything was immensely clearer too: their small woofers had much more enjoyable bass than the subwoofer in this system, the mids were very nice to listen to, though I found the highs to be slightly sibilant on some notes (possibly fixable with EQ?).
The moral of the story: 5.1 isn't all that great, especially computer speakers; for music, a good pair of stereo speakers is the way to go; they sound better and can tell you where things are better (unless you get into surround systems that are out of your budget.) As it is I'm now tempted to either buy the Celestions off my friend or try to find some of the aforementioned M-Audios. If you have very little money and/or no choice, then the X-530s are a budget choice (they're still better than my old Kinyo TA-927s and a lot of my friends' setups though.)

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back