5.1 computer speakers recommendations please?
Nov 27, 2005 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I feel dumb asking this on this forum, but I am looking for a 5.1 setup of computer speakers that I could hook up to my chaintech soundcard.

I can't spend over 250 dollars, and do not have room for a dedicated amp. If you have an exception that you feel strongly about, still let me hear it.

I have been searching for sometime now and have talked to a lot of people, mostly computer guys. The problem is everyone recommends me stuff based on how loud the speakers are, how many watts, or how much the bass kicks.

All I want is a set that would be great for classical music, great/good for everything else, and at least decent for gaming. I would also like to have the option of replacing the speaker wire without any hassel.

Thank you.

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 17
For music, get a pair of good stereo speakers. For gaming, use headphones. The 5.1 speaker kits (especially for computers) are utter crap. They probably aren't even good enough to help you out with positioning for your gaming.

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
For music, get a pair of good stereo speakers. For gaming, use headphones. The 5.1 speaker kits (especially for computers) are utter crap. They probably aren't even good enough to help you out with positioning for your gaming.

Good stereo speakers require an amp I thought? Do you mean like bookshelf ones?

For my uses headphones aren't really an option. I am ok with 4.1 sound or even just four speakers without a sub.

Do you have links to where I could look at and or buy some good speakers?

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 17
These are great monitor speakers: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/DX4-main.html

They are self-powered, so there is no amp required. Plus, they'll sound great and have fantastic imaging if you place them correctly. Great for games, great for music - under $250 that's a win...
biggrin.gif

-Andrew

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

These are great monitor speakers: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/DX4-main.html

They are self-powered, so there is no amp required. Plus, they'll sound great and have fantastic imaging if you place them correctly. Great for games, great for music - under $250 that's a win...
biggrin.gif

-Andrew

Those look really good, thanks. I don't understand how exactly I would connect them to my sound card. Also how could I connect these Optically?

If I could find the extra money would this set be worth it?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...stem-main.html

It costs about a 130 dollars more for the sub and the option to go 5.1 later.
Is it worth it? I found the DX4 for 150 online which seems likes bargain.

I didn't know M-audio's could be had so cheap, I thought it was 350+ dollars for a setup.

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 17
To connect the speakers, get cable # 60-423 from this website: http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_25.html

If you are okay with spending the extra cash, getting that system with the matched sub is beneficial in two ways - it has a matched sub so the sound quality wouldn't be WORSE due to poor pairing, and it also has expansion possibilities. The only concern with the latter is that it doesn't look like your soundcard can the required inputs on that system.

On the DX4s, you can just use the cable I mentioned and you'd have no troubles connecting it to your PC.

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

To connect the speakers, get cable # 60-423 from this website: http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_25.html

If you are okay with spending the extra cash, getting that system with the matched sub is beneficial in two ways - it has a matched sub so the sound quality wouldn't be WORSE due to poor pairing, and it also has expansion possibilities. The only concern with the latter is that it doesn't look like your soundcard can the required inputs on that system.

On the DX4s, you can just use the cable I mentioned and you'd have no troubles connecting it to your PC.

Without the sub will the bass and lows still be acceptable for my uses?

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 17
For classical music, yes, I think it should be just fine for your uses. Remember that studio monitors are designed to play back EXACTLY what they're fed. Recording studios use M-Audio gear, so you can be assured that it will sound good for your uses. Where classical music is greatly enhanced with its subtle nuances, this speaker pair will perform just fine. Plus, for gaming, it will be great because they are accurate speakers - positioning will not be a problem for you. Even better, I think you'd be happy with their bass performance if you just positioned them properly.

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

I've recently purchased the silver pair at compusa. Have you heard these side by side with the swan m200?

FWIW: They do not sacrifice bass. It's there...just as much as it should be. And even better, it's controlled. No sloppy joe low here!

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

not true at all. My 5.1 speakers, Creative P580, are excellent for positioning sound in games like CS and Americas Army. It could be because I have them all near me though, they are not more than 3 feet away from my head, and the rear ones are positioned right at ear hight. The front speakers are on the desk, tilted up at me and angled slightly towards me. Works extremely well.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 17
Computer 5.1 speakers will work far better for positioning in nearfield conditions than almost any quality 2 channel solutions, and they're often a lot more "fun" than headphones. If you want good music, decent gaming, go with the monitors Aman recommended or Swann M200s. If you're looking for good gaming I'd say the Logitech Z-5500 would be the best bet under 200.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 17
Eh.. i own Klispch 5.1's and a decent headphone setup. I still prefer the phones + CMSS with games by a fair margin. But I guess it's not fair to compare 350$ computer speakers to a 1500$ headphone setup.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 17
I'd get a Klipsch 5.1 system to start with. You can always upgrade the front speakers for music later with something like a pair of Epos ELS-3, which will sound absolutely amazing for the price.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
I feel dumb asking this on this forum, but I am looking for a 5.1 setup of computer speakers that I could hook up to my chaintech soundcard.

I can't spend over 250 dollars, and do not have room for a dedicated amp. If you have an exception that you feel strongly about, still let me hear it.

I have been searching for sometime now and have talked to a lot of people, mostly computer guys. The problem is everyone recommends me stuff based on how loud the speakers are, how many watts, or how much the bass kicks.

All I want is a set that would be great for classical music, great/good for everything else, and at least decent for gaming. I would also like to have the option of replacing the speaker wire without any hassel.

Thank you.

If you can find it used or @your price , I higly advice the VIDEOLOGIC DIGITHEATRE 5.1 DTS sound quality wise .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back