4pin XLRs as stock termination?
Oct 5, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because xlr's don't short out when you insert/remove

No, what I meant was why not on full size amps as well.

Quote:

i'm all for mini-4-pin-xlr, but that seems like it will never come to fruition

At least not as far as headphone manufacturers go.

But ultimately, that can be rather easily rectified.

*snip* *snip*

atsmile.gif

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #32 of 47
So far as I know, the only headphone ever released with a balanced cable was released with a 4 pin XLR.

Also, I'm looking heavily into a 4 pin mini XLR connector to use as standard on my cans, notably the JH13. How cool!

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An advantage to using xlr connections instead of quarter inch or especially eighth inch is that you never short out the connections when plugging the cables in or out. That means you won't ever risk shorting your output stage and blowing up your amp.

I plug in my headphones after I power on my amp to prevent the power on thump. Are you saying that I am risking shorting out my output stage on my amp if I plug in my phones after the power is on? No music playing of course...

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far as I know, the only headphone ever released with a balanced cable was released with a 4 pin XLR.

Yup.

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plug in my headphones after I power on my amp to prevent the power on thump. Are you saying that I am risking shorting out my output stage on my amp if I plug in my phones after the power is on? No music playing of course...

I'm not seeing how you could short out your output stage in the first place.

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not seeing how you could short out your output stage in the first place.

se

I have never had a problem, but I just want to make sure that plugging in headphones into an amp that is on but not playing music is safe. Am I safe to assume that it is safe since there is no music playing?

Edit: I use a 1/4" plug (not XLR) just to make sure that we are talking about the same circumstances.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never had a problem, but I just want to make sure that plugging in headphones into an amp that is on but not playing music is safe. Am I safe to assume that it is safe since there is no music playing?

Unless there's some nasty DC offset on your outputs (which won't be the case under normal circumstances), without any music playing, you're fine.

Quote:

Edit: I use a 1/4" plug (not XLR) just to make sure that we are talking about the same circumstances.

Understood.

se

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless there's some nasty DC offset on your outputs (which won't be the case under normal circumstances), without any music playing, you're fine.

Cool. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'm looking heavily into a 4 pin mini XLR connector to use as standard on my cans, notably the JH13. How cool!

What's the point of the mini on IEMs? A bit less strain compared to the normal 4 pin? I've seen balanced Mini3s before, but I'd only care to used balanced stuff at home. And if I have em at home, I'd just be using the regular connector myself.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing I would support would be a minimum four cable phone cable standard, so that going balanced only means lopping off the connector and soldering a new one on.

That's fine if they all use cable that is easy to solder,some of the cable they use is a real pain.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 47
atothex you misunderstood my meaning. I'm simply saying that there are so many high-end components that are not balanced (not that balanced equipment is rare, but that it doesn't need to be balanced to be REALLY nice stuff), and as such I don't think that manufacturers feel much pressure to go balanced with their phones right from the factory. Sorry about that!

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atothex you misunderstood my meaning. I'm simply saying that there are so many high-end components that are not balanced (not that balanced equipment is rare, but that it doesn't need to be balanced to be REALLY nice stuff), and as such I don't think that manufacturers feel much pressure to go balanced with their phones right from the factory.

And when you get right down to it, it's really not about "balanced" at all. It's about avoiding the common ground in the TRS connection. It doesn't require a "balanced" amp address that. It only takes using a four contact connector instead of a three contact connector.

se

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An observation: If a person is willing to spend on a fully balanced signal chain, re-terminating any pair of headphones is a relatively small expense.

That's the way I see it too.

*snip* *snip*

atsmile.gif

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the point of the mini on IEMs? A bit less strain compared to the normal 4 pin? I've seen balanced Mini3s before, but I'd only care to used balanced stuff at home. And if I have em at home, I'd just be using the regular connector myself.

Mostly for the sake of bulk on primarily portable headphones. One mini 4-pin and a couple extensions would cover every possible circumstance, and allow the same headphones and cable to be used both portably stuffed in a pocket, and balanced out of a home rig. A full size 4-pin would do the same job, but I don't want to carry that around with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back