4N but 5N 7N Silver Cable.?
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 19
I know this is an old thread but I recently got an iBasso DX320. I was underwhelmed by the volume output of the stock cable with my Monarch MKII's. I ended up purchasing the ThieAudio Oceania silver cables. In my experience with home AV gear and not IEM's, at most, the cable might have changed the sound signature slightly. With that said I typically don't look at the actual volume levels on the receiver, I use my ears so it could have been at a lower volume on my receiver and I just didn't notice it.

When I got the new Oceanic cable, I instantly noticed a huge volume improvement. There were some differences in the sound signature but I was surprised at how much louder they were. The odd thing is this only happened on the Monarchs. I have other 2 pin IEM's and it changed the sound signature but not the volume output, at least not to a noticable degree except those specific IEM's..

My best guess is the impedance of the stock cable which is like 20 bucks if you buy the stock cable that comes with the Monarchs by itself though. Just because it's an inexpensive cable doesn't mean it's bad. Just like being expensive doesn't necessarily make it a good cable either.

I have bought a few Chinese silver cables (XLR and RCA interconnects) and they are fantastic although I really wish I could afford to cut one open and take it to a jewelry shop to see if the purity matches what the seller says. At the same time, for the price, the XLR cables I purchased for half the price of some Auduoquest cinnamon XLR cables which I really wished I didn't purchase. I do wish I had spent a little more for the sterling silver XLR and RCA interconnects but once again I was worried about the purity of the metal.

All I know for sure is switching to a silver cables made the Monarchs louder with the DX320 in a good way but they are also my hardest pair of IEMs to drive so that may be the reason but it's not placebo effect, that I know with 100.percent certainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back