4G 60GB Photo --> 6G 160GB Classic - Anyone NOT think it is an improvement?
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ckacosta

New Head-Fier
I have searched and do not see much definitive info about this specific upgrade.

Is there anyone who has moved from the 4G to the 6G who does NOT think it is a 100% absolutely fantastic upgrade of SQ?

Are there any advantages to sticking with the 4G from a SQ point of view?

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckacosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have searched and do not see much definitive info about this specific upgrade.

Is there anyone who has moved from the 4G to the 6G who does NOT think it is a 100% absolutely fantastic upgrade of SQ?

The only one I can think of is the iMod can be done to the 4G and not the new iPod Classic.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckacosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

forgive me if i am misquoting someone, its from memory, didnt vinnie r. post saying in his opinion the 6g had the best stock sound yet of any ipod as it had the cleanest path?

this is not taking into account any mods.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Sep 23, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 10
4G 60GB Photo to 6G 160GB Classic is exactly the upgrade I recently made. In terms of the headphone output, in my opinion there is little comparison, the 6G is leaps and bounds better. The 6G has less hiss, less distortion, more bass extension, more treble extension, better dynamics and more drive for higher impedance headphones. In terms of the line out quality, it's a lot closer but to me the 6G still has a comfortable edge on the 4G.

I'd still recommend reading around and/or listening in advance if possible, some are finding the treble of the 6G a little boosted and that there's some other spatial artifacts affecting soundstage. I think that will depend on the headphones you're using any your own ears/taste. Personally though I do not see any case in which the 4G Photo could be considered to have better SQ though, the margin is not that small.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 10
This is exactly the upgrade that I just completed. Best move I've made in along time. Don't think twice, do it!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 10
i'll add to the list since I have both an ipod photo 60 gb and a 5th gen as well. From the headphone output on my er4 and e4cs it's a big gain.

I can't speak to the line out since i dont use my portables that way.

It also sounds better than the iphone with my shures (hiss problem)

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forgive me if i am misquoting someone, its from memory, didnt vinnie r. post saying in his opinion the 6g had the best stock sound yet of any ipod as it had the cleanest path?

this is not taking into account any mods.

Yeah , I remember reading that as well. I almost want to say that he also mentioned that imod wouldn't have much improvement over the original setup.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 10
The iMod is most significant on the 4G. I found that it is better than the 6G, but stock iPod 4G wise, I have just auditioned it and found the 6G with much more details and better more accurate bass than the unmodded iPod 4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back