$47 for a headphone adapter???? There must be another way!
Apr 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 41
It's very easy to DIY one of these. I'm sure you can find the supplies you need locally for a few bucks. It'll take a bit more effort to make, but it's a good skill to have if you're getting into headphones IMO.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 41
Can you make a recommended list of supplies and likely places where I can find them? I already have a soldering iron.

I will definitely give this project a go if it is not too much trouble.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 41
I suspect someplace like The Source will have the basic parts that you need. You would need a 1/4" jack, a 1/8" plug, and some wire. And solder of course.

Alternatively, you can look at Redco audio online. I just made a quick cart with some basic plugs, jacks, and a foot of wire and the shipping cost calculator gave me a cost of under $4. I don't know if customs will get you on this, but it's pretty cheap so I can't imagine it would be a lot anyway.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect someplace like The Source will have the basic parts that you need. You would need a 1/4" jack, a 1/8" plug, and some wire. And solder of course.

Alternatively, you can look at Redco audio online. I just made a quick cart with some basic plugs, jacks, and a foot of wire and the shipping cost calculator gave me a cost of under $4. I don't know if customs will get you on this, but it's pretty cheap so I can't imagine it would be a lot anyway.

Do you have a diagram of the wiring for the connectors?

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy here...
STEREOTYPE AUDIO
Canadian company.

Problem solved!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a diagram of the wiring for the connectors?

Yfrog - ukr.jpg

Not the best, but I think it's understandable.
Typically there is a short, medium, and long connector for you to solder to. Usually short is on the left side, for the left signal, medium is on the right for the right signal, and the longest one is on the bottom as ground.

I'm sure if you have the parts in your hand, you will be able to see how to connect them.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yfrog - ukr.jpg

Not the best, but I think it's understandable.
Typically there is a short, medium, and long connector for you to solder to. Usually short is on the left side, for the left signal, medium is on the right for the right signal, and the longest one is on the bottom as ground.

I'm sure if you have the parts in your hand, you will be able to see how to connect them.

I don't understand this at all lol.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

I don't understand this at all lol.

Solder a wire between the short contacts, a wire between the medium contacts, and a wire between the long contacts.

So it should basically look like:

_---------------------------_
_____------------------_____
___-----------------------___

Wow it's really been 5 months since I last posted? Amazing how fast time passes by and how one lives without Head-Fi by forgetting their password.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #27 of 41
I got mine for about $12 at Long & McQuade.

It has the length of cord like the Grados, and don't seem to impact the sound any.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

I don't think there are many people that are interested in Hi-Fi here in Toronto. And even if there was I would guess it would be pricey, Toronto is the most expensive city to live in Canada. That is why I am looking online.

There are plenty of people here in Toronto interested in HiFi, I'm one of them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Try asking Bay Bloor Radio, Steve's Music Store, and bunch of others.

Edit: colgatetotal beat me to it.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Nope. It is $28 with shipping!

Well, you did say you wanted a solution that didn't cost $47. Last I checked, $28 fits your solution parameters...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back