$47 for a headphone adapter???? There must be another way!
Apr 19, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. It is $28 with shipping!

Last I checked $28 is $19 less than $47. So yes that's your solution. Case closed.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

I don't think there are many people that are interested in Hi-Fi here in Toronto. And even if there was I would guess it would be pricey, Toronto is the most expensive city to live in Canada. That is why I am looking online.

guess again

...also maybe you could try to be at least a little self-reliant :S

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #33 of 41
lol living in Hong Kong can make Vancouver and Toronto seem utterly cheap (depends on the lifestyle). And yah, seriously, self reliance.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #34 of 41
welcome to the world of grado, where you pay more than 2-3x what the headphones are worth and they are only good for rock or metal, oh ya and they are the absolute worst in comfort...oh ya and replacement parts dont really exist...oh ya and the other mods and pieces like the adapter are just goofy in price...welcome to grado.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome to the world of grado, where you pay more than 2-3x what the headphones are worth and they are only good for rock or metal, oh ya and they are the absolute worst in comfort...oh ya and replacement parts dont really exist...oh ya and the other mods and pieces like the adapter are just goofy in price...welcome to grado.

My brother blew a driver in his SR225 and Grado replaced it for around $40 plus shipping costs. Try that with other headphone brands. Reasonable repair costs if you live in the USA. Outside of the USA Grado's and parts and repairs are more expensive.

I use my Grados for a lot more than just rock and metal. Blues, bluegrass, jazz, string quartets, and more. Hardly a one trick pony, but also not a jack of all trades.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #36 of 41
So because they have good service, it cancels out the fact they are the lest well rounded, made of the lowest grade bose and monster like material, and undeniably the most uncomfortable headphones currently on the market?

The general consensus is that they are not suited for anything but rock until you get to the giga expensive versions. Just because it can physically play classical and jazz doesnt mean it can play it well...cuz they dont and you are missing out heavily.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So because they have good service, it cancels out the fact they are the lest well rounded, made of the lowest grade bose and monster like material, and undeniably the most uncomfortable headphones currently on the market?

The general consensus is that they are not suited for anything but rock until you get to the giga expensive versions. Just because it can physically play classical and jazz doesnt mean it can play it well...cuz they dont and you are missing out heavily.

General consensus is........
You obviously haven't even bothered to listen to them and you're talking smack about their sound. If you have bothered to listen to them you wouldn't need to quote general consensus and come to a completely wrong conclusion.

Grados can be made reasonably comfortable by bending the headband and many other easy mods/alterations/tweaks. They aren't the most comfortable but they also aren't the most uncomfortable headphones.

And no, I'm not missing out heavily by listening to Grados. Quite the opposite. I'm enjoying a midrange and a sound that can be so emotionally involving with the right music that no other headphone can match. I don't care that it's colored or not true to the sterile studio monitor sound. I care only that it sounds good and makes the music better.

I have several other fine headphones for well-roundedness. I don't need the Grados to be well rounded. I just need them to do their thing well. And they do. Pitty that you can't seem to enjoy them.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #38 of 41
to the TS

diy one ?

diy is great even in the long run
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...also maybe you could try to be at least a little self-reliant :S

I have to agree.

OP owns a soldering iron but can't find the correct way to wire the cable themselves?

Quote:

Do you have a diagram of the wiring for the connectors?

I mean, unless you're younger than 8 (age I first picked up a soldering iron) or this is your first crack at the internet, you should be able to find that info yourself
rolleyes.gif

Parts are cheap to buy online, small enough to ship for free, and Active Surplus on Queen st. (or even Steve's on Queen) has all the cable you could ever need. Things with brand names cost money (which is what pushed me into DIY). Weigh out the pros and cons of buying vs. building.

Toronto's expensive, but it's cheaper than Europe.

popcorn.gif

EDIT*

Quote:

WTH? Where else can I get such an adapter? It doesn't even have to be Grado as long as it is not $47!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy here...
STEREOTYPE AUDIO
Canadian company.

Solved, $18 < $47. They're located in Markham, even--just a short drive away to save on shipping.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 41
expxe;6568484 said:
WTH? Where else can I get such an adapter? It doesn't even have to be Grado as long as it is not $47!!!

QUOTE]

Cll these guys up and see if they will customize their a phantom for you. Audio/Video Cables, VGA/DVI/HDMI Cables, Cat5e/6 Patch Cables, RBC UPS Batteries & Connectivity Products

Basically this Premium 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cables - Phantom Cables wit a 1/4" female.

I'd offer to make you a basic one, but I haven't had a chance to make one for myself yet, plus the parts are still packed, after my recent move. Oh, and I'm a real novice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back