41Hz amp questions
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 23
sweet, then I'll trust em. You really are my hero, error
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Ahhh, you just led me to what I was already going to ask next..you said it may trip the internal relay, I assume you mean inside the Tripath chip...is that how the Amp10 (not 10-Basic) and the other 41Hz amps without output relays have over/under voltage protection, as well as over current and temp protection? If so, what's the advantage of the output relay on the Amp5 and Amp10-Basic?

anybody?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody?
confused_face_2.gif

Not sure why the relay is necessary. I think these amps have bad startup behaviour, and they definitely make funny noises during shutdown and possibly behave badly there too. It's controlled directly by the Tripath's fault detection circuitry which is supposed to tri-state the outputs when a fault is detected anyway, but better safe than sorry IMO. Wouldn't consider it a must-have, but it's always good to have extra protection.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked my e-mail history and it looks like I actually sent the e-mail late Monday night, so it hasn't been that long. They did respond to me in the past when I asked them for a shipping quote. I'm ordering a couple 0215s (15V, 20VA) and one 2225 (25V, 200VA). The voltages are for each secondary, all their toroids have dual secondaries.

FYI - Antek is actually Par-Metal. They're notorious for ignoring emails and while I haven't actually experienced this myself, others have had good results by doing things the old fashioned way and calling on the telephone machine.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #21 of 23
how was your amp6 hard to build lol.... i only had WIRE soldering skills when I built my amp10. The instructions are pretty clear..

I vouch for antekinc.com! They shipped it fast and the transformer is really high quality!

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI - Antek is actually Par-Metal. They're notorious for ignoring emails and while I haven't actually experienced this myself, others have had good results by doing things the old fashioned way and calling on the telephone machine.

really? they respond to my emails instantly! they must like me very much
smily_headphones1.gif

pinkfloyd4ever, I built an Amp5. Don't use the stock input and output capacitors or inductors. Use film capacitors in their place, and an inductor with a permalloy core. each of these mods make a very noticable difference in the sound.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? they respond to my emails instantly! they must like me very much
smily_headphones1.gif

pinkfloyd4ever, I built an Amp5. Don't use the stock input and output capacitors or inductors. Use film capacitors in their place, and an inductor with a permalloy core. each of these mods make a very noticable difference in the sound.

cotdt,
Would you still have the spec for the inductor? I wouldn't mind changing the inductors in my amp5. Got another amp5 waiting to be built too.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back