41,757 Head-Fi'ers? NO Way! Give Me a Break!
Aug 2, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #31 of 45
if train Head-Fier 'A' and Head-Fier 'B,' one coming from the Forums, one coming from the Net, run at each other at 70 MPH....

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 45
I've got a few posts racked up... you can count me as around 1700 or so regular members.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #34 of 45
I would have thought there would be lots of people like me who browse the forum pretty much every day but don't post that much (I'm averaging about a post every 2 days since I joined).

Aug 2, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #35 of 45
Thanks for sharing the numbers, jude. I knew guests frequent this board, and it's not unusual to have more guests than members at any one time. Seeing the breakdown of percentages really drives the point home for me that there is a lot more activity on this forum than the members generating posts.

Actually, as I add to this thread, there are 722 users viewing Head-Fi. 179 members & 543 guests.

Does a search engine, such as Google, count as a guest when it is searching for a keyword in Head-Fi? That is, before the person clicks the link to take them here? I'm assuming it must. So a portion of the guest count is really just a search engine returning info to a user that may never actually look here.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think we had a surge of visitors this year after the National Meet was published in at least one audiophile magazines.

Absolutely-

Most users ever online was 1,810, 04-24-2006 at 09:54 PM.

The National Meet traffic beat even the day we got Slashdotted.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 45
41,757???
I think that number could drop to 41,756 and a lot of people would be very happy...
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
Some people like to lurk
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly. I'm not a post whore, but I was bascially reading head-fi for 6-7 hours a day before buying my stuff. I'm sure lots are the same, but because the search function basically tells you anything, and people get on your ass for not using it, beginners like myself don't usually have anything to say.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
41,757???
I think that number could drop to 41,756 and a lot of people would be very happy...
blink.gif

Let's make a poll about that! And another about whether we should use the pole or not!
tongue.gif

Seriously, Adam why do you keep starting threads like this? Do you even own headphones or listen to music? I think people are starting to get really tired of these threads.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer
I would have thought there would be lots of people like me who browse the forum pretty much every day but don't post that much (I'm averaging about a post every 2 days since I joined).

Thats like me. Im here all the time, i just cant contribute because i dont know enough to hold a discussion with anyone.

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
If you read my post again (yeah, I know it's sort of confusing), you'll see I was looking at two different (but related) stats: visits and visitors.

Yes, as you point out, many of the visitors were one-visit visitors. In fact, in July, the percentage of visits by one-visit visitors is 25.20%. The next highest percentage of visits were by those who visited more than 200 times in July at 18.41% of total visits. The distribution is as follows:
[align=center]
1........25.20%
2.........6.12%
3.........3.58%
4.........2.57%
5.........2.04%
6.........1.68%
7.........1.43%
8.........1.25%
9-14......5.47%
15-25.....6.27%
26-50.....8.28%
51-100....8.76%
101-200...8.93%
201+.....18.41%
[/align]

I think these kinds of stats (at least proportionally) are probably more similar than not across forums as busy (or busier) than Head-Fi. A lot of visitors are just searching for information on the search engines (which make up our single largest segment of outside referrals), and find their answers here. I don't think we'll ever get to the point where most visitors are registered. If that was the case, we'd be adding hundreds of thousands of registered members per month in the not too distant future, and that's not too realistic to expect.

The number 41,000+ which I am challenging is the number of registered people. Note the use of the word 'people' and not 'members'!
There are many terms used here: member, visitor, registered people, posts, ...

What I have learned from Your response is that many registered members do not post at all. That is OK. It still does NOT matter! Here is my point.

Definition of an Active Member of Head-Fi.org
Let's call an Active Member of this site the following Human Being:
1. Registered between June 2001 and December 31, 2005.
2. Whether such a person posted at least Once or ZERO during this four-and-half year period does NOT matter.
3. Such a person logged-in at least Once between January 1 and June 30, 2006.

This definition defines only Active members.
The criterion applied to filter out Active Members is natural and very mild.

Now, assume that Head-Fi.org admin runs their program and that the computer yields: 31,000 (just for simplicity)
This means that 41,000 - 31,000 = 10,000 are NOT Active Members- they're just Ghosts.
For instance, someone logged-in in 2004 and Never came back!
So the number 41,000 is meaningless.
Now what about people registerd since January 1 2006?
Let's can call them Active by definition.
(It's too early to judge whether they will stay!)

Stricter Time Criterion:
Let's consider Only the period June 2001 thru June 30, 2006.
Let's ask about FOUR years only. Assume that on June 30, 2005 there were 30,000 Registered Human Beings.
Now we check whether how many of them logged-in between July 1, 2005 and August1, 2006.
Say, the computer yields: 25,000. This means that 30,000 - 25,000 = 5,000
left the site, and we don't count them as members.
They might come back in Five years, ha, ha, ...

Actually, the head-Fi.org computer could be set up in the following way.

If a Registered Person has NOT logged-in for, say, SIX months, he/she would see the following screen:

*Welcome Back! Press 'I am Back' to Continue'*

At this point, if a person hits the button, the computer adds 1 to the counter of Active Members.
If someone has NOT registerd for, say SIX, months the computer decreases the counter by one.
This process of decreasing the counter could be done, say, on a monthly basis!

Adam
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia

Definition of an Active Member of Head-Fi.org
Let's call an Active Member of this site the following Human Being:
1. Registered between June 2001 and December 31, 2005.
2. Whether such a person posted at least Once or ZERO during this four-and-half year period does NOT matter.
3. Such a person logged-in at least Once between January 1 and June 30, 2006.

This definition defines only Active members.
The criterion applied to filter out Active Members is natural and very mild.

You're saying an active member is someone who has registered and logged in to the site at least once.

Wow. Sure sounds active to me.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
You're saying an active member is someone who has registered and logged in to the site at least once.

Wow. Sure sounds active to me.

This is the MILDEST possible criterion. You see, many say they don't post for a long period of time, BUT they ARE members!

Once could call them Active or, better Present.
Active because they Logged-in, or present because they're with us.

Those who browse the site Without Registering are called just Visitors!

Am I missing something here? Again, I am challenging the number of Registered people on this site.

Adam
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #45 of 45
I know quite a number of folks who register just to access the PM system and the Search function. Thus, they can do their homework, ask a few targeted questions, maybe even buy a can or two from a member, and never even post once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back