40th Anniversary Pink Floyd "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" in the works!
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/x/news.html?nid=5

Quote:

Floyd Lays Plans for Piper

5 Jun 2007
To mark the 40th anniversary of the original release of Pink Floyd's first album ‘The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn', a special edition is planned for release via EMI Records on Tues 28th August in North America, and Monday September 3rd in Europe.

The packaging, designed by Storm Thorgerson, resembles a cloth-covered book, and holds 3 CD discs, along with a 12-page reproduction Syd Barrett notebook.

Discs 1 and 2 will contain the full ‘Piper' album, represented in both stereo and mono versions. Both have been newly remastered by James Guthrie.

Disc 3 includes bonus tracks, including the following: all the Pink Floyd singles from 1967, (‘Arnold Layne', ‘See Emily Play', and ‘Apples And Oranges'), plus the B sides ‘Candy And A Current Bun' and ‘Paintbox'. Other tracks are a version of ‘Interstellar Overdrive' - Take 2 of the original recording sessions, previously only available on an EP in France - and the 1967 stereo version of ‘Apples And Oranges'.

Other activities surrounding the 40th anniversary celebrations will be announced in due course.

Let's all cross our fingers for SACD! Now we just need that 30th Anniversary Wish You Were Here to see the light of day...

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James guthrie is the remastering engineer. Does anyone have any information on him? Some of my Floyd CDs have good sonics but Wall sounded terrible and I gave it away.

The 1994 Wall version I have sounds pretty good, but it could have been better. The rest of the early 90's releases were simply fantastic.

This is a neat set, I'm hoping for a SACD release! However, I doubt it'll sound better than the original release.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

James guthrie is the remastering engineer. Does anyone have any information on him? Some of my Floyd CDs have good sonics but Wall sounded terrible and I gave it away.

I read that he was one that worked with Gilmour on getting Pulse to DVD.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/x/news.html?nid=5

Let's all cross our fingers for SACD! Now we just need that 30th Anniversary Wish You Were Here to see the light of day...

I thought 30th Anniversary WYWH was supposed to come out in 2006 as a SACD...I was waiting all year for it, and it never came out!
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 13
I would rather see a remastered stereo only version with all of the stereo A and B sides of the singles added at the end.This should fit on one CD very easily at a very reasonable $9.99 retail price.Is it no wonder CD sales are down ?

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought 30th Anniversary WYWH was supposed to come out in 2006 as a SACD...I was waiting all year for it, and it never came out!
frown.gif

The Wikipedia page says that it's still planned, but is pushed back to some time in 2007. So who knows.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Have you listen to it on vinyl? It is without a doubt one of the better sounding albums that I have...phenominal.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Wikipedia page says that it's still planned, but is pushed back to some time in 2007. So who knows.

I hope they release it. That would be a nice add to my collection. Has anybody yet heard something on the price of the edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back