$400 upgrade suggestions
Apr 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
^ boy are you tempting me there, but so far the impressions Ive heard kept me away from them :|

It has its share of issues, mostly that it is 440 grams in weight, and about the underpadded headband/clamping, but honestly its big brothers HE500 and HE6 are even worse in the weight category and have the identical design so the same headband/clamping and no one complains because you get used to it or stretch/mod the cans a bit to bypass these comfort issues.

As for other issues like the QC problems with the first batch and all that, that's all a thing of the past.

Impressions from the second batch on have been generally all very positive in our HE400 thread.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
The he400 is fantastic!! It can be had from moon audio for $360 with coupon code. I found the fiio e10 used here for $50 shipped. You would be done. It doesn't get much better unless you're willing to spend two or three times the money.

After all the praise I've read, the HE-400's really sound tempting. Can you tell (or PM) me the coupon code you used to get that price?

Quote:
Ahhh sorry i'm in San Diego. Would have been more than glad to let you try it but SF is a bits away. Best of luck in your decision making!

That's too bad, but thanks for offering though.

Quote:
^ boy are you tempting me there, but so far the impressions Ive heard kept me away from them :|

Can you elaborate on what those impressions are?

Quote:

The D5000 is less bassy than the D2000, but has present and quality bass and sub-bass.  I listen to classic (50's to 70's) rock and U.S. roots music--so I'm not a basshead.

You better do some reading about the T70.  They seem to be the black sheep of the Beyer family.  It seems that very few people have bought them.

The Senn HD 600 are very neutral--probably not what you want.  I have only heard the HD 650 for a few minutes.  It has deeper bass and a more colored sound than the 600.  However, I doubt that a Senn meshes well with your genres.  However, I don't know them well--do you'll have to make that call.

Thanks, I'll strike the Senns off my list as well as the Beyers. Seems like they're bright phones and sound only acceptable for rock and pop, nothing amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back